Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 dogs at the vets - again

+6
Snifter&Toddy
Puggered
sallyandtilly
Aussie Witch
TxAllieGrl
Miss Pugg
10 posters

Go down

3 dogs at the vets - again Empty 3 dogs at the vets - again

Post  Miss Pugg 1/18/2011, 10:40 pm

Took all 3 dogs to the vet today, left with wallet much lighter. Old Buffy Pug has to wear the dreaded e collar due to an ugly red sore near her nose, trying to keep her from scratching it or running into furniture with it. She's doing surprisingly well with the collar. Her remaining big bulgy eye seems to be a bit smaller. Willow Pug still has crystals so is on a different antibiotic, Clavamox didn't work. Still treating her yeasty ears. Jasmine, the Boston, had more AK tests & found to be allergic to the food she's been eating for 18 months!!!! It was the only thing she could eat back then. It was Solid Gold Melenia Barley and Beef. Now she's on SG Wolfking (for large breeds - she's all of 13 lbs.) The test was fine for that food. She lost a pound in a month. Also was tested for pumpkin, green beans and Metamucil again, couldn't have any of them 18 mo. ago but now she's OK and can have them (but not all at once). Vet says she needs fiber, fiber, fiber. Her BM's are odd, hard at times, then very soft, watery and smelly. She's so quiet and not playful at all. She was also allergic to her coat too. Vet told me to wash her bedding and coats with soap, then do it all again with just plain water and no dryer sheets or fabric softener (I don't use either). Poor little thing, she's so skinny and sad and clingy.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

3 dogs at the vets - again Empty Re: 3 dogs at the vets - again

Post  TxAllieGrl 1/18/2011, 11:11 pm

wow Joann - that's a lot!

I hope Ms Buffy is feeling better soon. and Jasmine - hope you get her all fixed up.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 1/18/2011, 11:28 pm

So much to take in! Hope all your guys are doing better soon. hug dog
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 1/19/2011, 12:58 am

Hope everyone feels better soon.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 1/19/2011, 5:29 am

Hugs to them all. Kudos to you for going the extra mile with them all! hug dog
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 1/19/2011, 5:32 am

My head is spinning just reading about all that. Sending our best wishes.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 1/19/2011, 12:02 pm

Puggered wrote:Hugs to them all. Kudos to you for going the extra mile with them all! hug dog

I can only echo what Angela said. That's a lot to handle all at once.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

3 dogs at the vets - again Empty three dogs

Post  Miss Pugg 1/19/2011, 6:46 pm

And the most confusing part is the dog food.....Buffy is on KD kibble and canned, ugh, but she loves it. Willow is on Solid Gold Melenia Beef and Barley, kibble and canned. Jasmine was taken off Solid Gold Beef and Barley and is on Solid Gold Wolfking. I keep the food in our utility room which is quickly getting jammed with all their medications and food! Vet says to give them treats of their kibble so I have 3 kinds of kibble on the table, on their crates, in my pockets and in the family room. The Solid Gold all looks alike so I'm taking a chance I'm giving the right treat to the right dog. Let's see: left pocket for Willow, right pocket for Jasmine and who knows where for Buffy's treats. Then when we get to the medicines, it gets even worse. 4 for Buffy, 2 for Willow and 8 for Jasmine. We are going to board them in the spring while we go on a trip. The kennel will sure love to see us coming! I'm hoping Buffy will still be around by then but she has aged lately and is having trouble getting up and down steps and walking on the ice.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 1/19/2011, 7:42 pm

LOL! I hear you! It's a nigtmare sometimes, isn't it?
I feed mostly raw but have to tweak the basic mix depending on who is here - last week I had four adult pugs (one of whom has chronic pancreatitis, so cannot have any fat), one 12 week old baby pug and an eight month old Kelpie foster. I had the fat free raw mix, the standard raw mix, and the growing puppy raw mix (the foster got a mix of two mixes!). The tubs in the freezer contining the individual portions are all clearly labelled so no problem there, but the ones in the fridge thawing out for tomorrow all look alike and I had to be quite creative to keep them straight!
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 1/19/2011, 8:44 pm

Ahh, yes, Joann, I feel the pain in your wallet. Sounds like you've got a good handle on what everyone should be eating, now, like you said, just to keep it straight.

For their meds, you may want to get pill boxes for them. Grace has two 7 day pill boxes - one I've marked a.m. for her breakfast pills and the other is marked p.m. for her dinner pills. Kayla, on the other hand, has a 7 day pill box that holds a.m. pills for her breakfast pills, noon pills for her mid-afternnoon pain pill, p.m. pills for her dinner pills and nighttime pills for her bedtime pills. Plus she takes Vallium at 8 p.m., and that just stays in it's own bottle next to her pill box but I've set the alarm on my phone to ring at 8 p.m. every day. I used to just take each of their pills out of each of the pill bottles everytime I needed them, but given the serious lack of sleep I get with Kayla, I was starting to get them messed up in the morning and the right dogs were getting the wrong pills. Having 7 days worth of pills all set out is so much easier when I'm only half awake.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 1/20/2011, 2:04 pm

dieselsmom wrote:Ahh, yes, Joann, I feel the pain in your wallet. Sounds like you've got a good handle on what everyone should be eating, now, like you said, just to keep it straight.

For their meds, you may want to get pill boxes for them. Grace has two 7 day pill boxes - one I've marked a.m. for her breakfast pills and the other is marked p.m. for her dinner pills. Kayla, on the other hand, has a 7 day pill box that holds a.m. pills for her breakfast pills, noon pills for her mid-afternnoon pain pill, p.m. pills for her dinner pills and nighttime pills for her bedtime pills. Plus she takes Vallium at 8 p.m., and that just stays in it's own bottle next to her pill box but I've set the alarm on my phone to ring at 8 p.m. every day. I used to just take each of their pills out of each of the pill bottles everytime I needed them, but given the serious lack of sleep I get with Kayla, I was starting to get them messed up in the morning and the right dogs were getting the wrong pills. Having 7 days worth of pills all set out is so much easier when I'm only half awake.

Yes, I totally agree with the pill box suggestion. I have to use one for Sophie because her schedule is really weird and switches, and in the mornings it's easy for me to forget.

That's quite the vet visit!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 1/20/2011, 2:15 pm

I have to deal with a myriad of meds too, but some are liquid, some are pills, some are for cats, some are for dogs, and some have to be refrigerated. It's quite a production most days.

I'm glad all of the kids are on the mend, at least. Your vet must say "Tahiti" when you walk in too.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down