Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 month old with collapsing trachea. I am devestated and sad

4 posters

Go down

3 month old with collapsing trachea. I am devestated and sad Empty 3 month old with collapsing trachea. I am devestated and sad

Post  vicpap31 1/25/2011, 3:01 pm

I have a 2 year old pug lucy and i now have a 2 and 1/2 year old pug named rocco. Rocco has been coughing. I took him to the vet who prescribed antibiotics and codeine cough syrup. The treatment is over and he is still coughing. At night alot and when he gets excited. he is an otherwise healthy baby. eats and runs around but he is showing all the symptoms. everything i have read says is a long and stressful journey with a dog who has this. I love him, i am heartbroken and i don't know if i have the money to take care of a sick dog. Please help... vickie

vicpap31

Number of posts : 36

Back to top Go down

3 month old with collapsing trachea. I am devestated and sad Empty Re: 3 month old with collapsing trachea. I am devestated and sad

Post  northernwitch 1/25/2011, 3:09 pm

I'm sorry that you're going through this, but it's risky to diagnosis collapsing trachea just from what you are seeing. It could be, but it could also be kennel cough, or an infection or any one of a number of other conditions. You need to get a definitive diagnosis. In your post it says the dog is 2.5 YEARS, but your title says 3 MONTHS--which is it as collapsing trachea at 3 months, I think, would be rare.

The reality is that you need to get back to your vet and let them know what you are seeing and strive for a diagnosis. That's the only way you'll know if what you have is something that you can or cannot manage.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

3 month old with collapsing trachea. I am devestated and sad Empty Re: 3 month old with collapsing trachea. I am devestated and sad

Post  Saira 1/25/2011, 3:15 pm

Hello, as Blanche said, it could be any number of things. Collapsing tracheas have been rather difficult to diagnose in my experience. We had an older pug come into rescue because the owner's vet had diagnosed her with a severe collapsing trachea, however, after being seen and examined by our vet, it was much milder than first thought, and managed pretty easily. She is still fine almost 4 years old. And managing/treatment also depends on the severity, so I would say to take a deep breath and don't panic (I know, easier said than done! Very Happy ). Also, age is on your side, as Blanche mentioned it would be very rare in a 3 month old. Find a vet you trust is your first step, if you aren't happy with your current vet, see if there is a rescue near you that could possibly recommend one. Sometimes if the vet isn't familiar with the pug breed, it can lead to wrong conclusions as well.

Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  vicpap31 1/25/2011, 3:19 pm

I do trust my vet. everyone seems to think he is great and he is knowldgeable about the breed. can somone suggest a rescue in my area. I live in New york in a suburb called yonkers. It is near the city. thanks again... vickie

vicpap31

Number of posts : 36

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 1/25/2011, 3:22 pm

vicpap31 wrote:I do trust my vet. everyone seems to think he is great and he is knowldgeable about the breed. can somone suggest a rescue in my area. I live in New york in a suburb called yonkers. It is near the city. thanks again... vickie

I believe Curly Tail Rescue is out of NYC: http://www.curlytailpugrescue.org/
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 1/25/2011, 3:24 pm

I think Green Mountain Pug Rescue covers part of New York, as well as Curly Tail Pug Rescue.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/25/2011, 4:40 pm

Tyson&LuLu'sMom wrote:I think Green Mountain Pug Rescue covers part of New York, as well as Curly Tail Pug Rescue.

They do but only upstate where I am, its about 150 miles outside of the city.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down