Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How often do you get dentals?

+6
GingerSnap
Renee
sallyandtilly
northernwitch
Rebecca and the Pugs
Saira
10 posters

Go down

How often do you get dentals? Empty How often do you get dentals?

Post  Saira 2/21/2011, 10:35 am

My vet does a good job of checking their teeth and telling me if there is enough build up to warrant a dental and only recommends it if it's really needed. I was just curious how often you've had it done. Hooli's only had 1 dental, Indy probably needs one soon (his first one, his teeth are pretty good). Sophie's only going under if it's an emergency so if we ever need to get anything else done, we'll get a dental for her but I'm not putting her under just for that. They chew a lot on bully sticks/bones so their teeth are in decent shape. I've tried to brush their teeth but it hasn't gone so well.

Just curious!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

How often do you get dentals? Empty Re: How often do you get dentals?

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 2/21/2011, 10:40 am

Bubba goes in today for a dental. I think this is his second one. The last one he had resulted in losing one of his canines, so his tongue hangs out the side. I think that was 2 years ago. He turns 11 in May.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 2/21/2011, 10:45 am

Depends on the dog. My vet, like many of yours, looks at their teeth regularly and lets me know when they might need one. My BC cross, Scout only had one in her life. Lola had two. Hazel had one when she came into rescue and hasn't needed one since. Tank has had one in the 3 years I've had him. Theo had one when he came into rescue two years ago. Likely he won't get another unless something awful happens--given his age and heart murmur.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 2/21/2011, 10:50 am

Rebecca and the Pugs wrote:Bubba goes in today for a dental. I think this is his second one. The last one he had resulted in losing one of his canines, so his tongue hangs out the side. I think that was 2 years ago. He turns 11 in May.

Good thoughts for Bubba, Rebecca!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 2/21/2011, 10:53 am

Saira wrote:
Rebecca and the Pugs wrote:Bubba goes in today for a dental. I think this is his second one. The last one he had resulted in losing one of his canines, so his tongue hangs out the side. I think that was 2 years ago. He turns 11 in May.

Good thoughts for Bubba, Rebecca!
It is hard to explain to a very routine-based dog why he is not able to eat breakfast this morning. His poor little world is turned upside down today. It hasn't been a good weekend for him because he also got a bath yesterday. Poor Bub.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/21/2011, 11:25 am

Vivian 6 1/2 and she just had her first one recently.
Rupert is only 3 1/2, the two vets he saw recently said his teeth are fine but his breath is horrid and when I looked at his teeth recently they look really bad. He is going to the vet this week to have it checked out.
I stopped giving them bully's because of Vivian aggression when she has one.
I think it depends on the pug as to how many they may need.

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 2/21/2011, 12:14 pm

Tilly is 8 1/2 and has had just one. When she broke her tooth, they gave her a dental while they had her under. Her teeth really weren't that bad.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 2/21/2011, 1:56 pm

My guys are all 6 & 7 years old. They have each had one dental.

I don't brush their teeth... but, the vet looks at their teeth regularly, and she would tell me if they needed another dental.

Ichiro has really nice teeth, so he probably won't need one for quite a while.

Skeeter and Tobey however, probably will need one next year.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 2/21/2011, 1:58 pm

Jackson (now 8) hasn't had one yet, and we don't think that Sammy has (and he's estimated at 10, maybe 11). His teeth are one of the things which make our vets think he might be younger than the rescue vet estimated (who guessed 7-8 in spring of 2007).

My brother's dog (JRT mix) started needing them around age 6 and has always had horrendous breath.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 2/21/2011, 2:08 pm

Rebecca:
Best thoughts out to Bubs. Gosh, a bath and then no breakfast. I bet he did think his world was crashing.

northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 2/21/2011, 3:10 pm

first off - good thoughts for Bubba! Hug

Zoe's 6 and has had 2 dentals. no extractions on either, but she's lost some teef on her own. My vet said to think of dentals like our yearly cleanings. Of course, now I'm not sure if I want to get them yearly...
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/21/2011, 3:32 pm

I glossed over that Bubba was getting his dental today...godd luck Bubba, hope all goes well and you are back on your routine tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 2/21/2011, 3:50 pm

My vet also said that ideally, yearly is a good guideline. Some dogs don't need them that often. It really can be a testament to if they chew on bones, if you brush often, and then just some are different than others. Bella is almost 5 and Reggie is almost 7. Bella has had 2 and Reggie is due for another.
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  Two Crazy Pugs 2/21/2011, 5:17 pm

Our vet checks their teeth regularly so we are up to date on what's going on. B had a dental about a year ago. It was needed. He lost a few teeth during it. He is much happier and can eat better. Gidget hasn't had one yet. Her teeth are pretty good. But she keeps having other surgeries and issues, that I think she will be like Sophie and get a dental when something else is going on.

Both will be seven in April.
Two Crazy Pugs
Two Crazy Pugs

Number of posts : 1295

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 2/22/2011, 2:38 pm

Rhoda had truly awful teeth, and had her first dental at age 5. She had another at 7, then again at 9 and 11.

Marlee, who's almost 5, hasn't needed one yet, but probably will within the next year -- those back teeth are looking pretty yucky.
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down