Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dentals-on older pugs

4 posters

Go down

dentals-on older pugs Empty dentals-on older pugs

Post  Soniebluvspugs 3/17/2011, 3:37 pm

Judge is at the vets today as he has to have this thyroid levels checked (he is on soloxine so it is just to make sure the dosage is correct) and his yearly exam. They didn't tell me that the vet I usually see was out today, but he could see another one (we have seen her a few times so I felt fine with this, just our regular vet knows us better). Well she just called to say he looks good, but thinks we might want to consider another dental because he has a lot of plaque again. He just had a dental a year ago and I am really hesitant to put him under again just a year later-he will be 12 in July. I am still waiting on his bloodwork for the thyroid so hopefully my regular vet will call and I can discuss it more with him. What are your thoughts on dentals for older pugs and the frequency in which they need them?
Soniebluvspugs
Soniebluvspugs

Number of posts : 59

Back to top Go down

dentals-on older pugs Empty Re: dentals-on older pugs

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 3/17/2011, 3:48 pm

Well...it depends on the pug and, to me, if there is any discomfort for them. Gus, my foster, it at least 12 and could be older, and his teeth aren't great, but as long as he is not in any pain and able to eat (no problem there...) I am inclined to not do it. He chews bones, hard treats, etc so I know there isn't any pain. I hate to put him under too cause I know nothing about him or how he reacts to sedation. I would worry about other health issues complicating things. It seems like too much for him to have another after only a year has passed.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 3/17/2011, 6:03 pm

Many variables in that decision. Health of the dog; condition of the teeth....if the teeth are REALLY, REALLY bad (doesn't sound like Judge's are THAT bad) there are more problems that can be caused by NOT doing a dental, serious heart infections being one of them.

Hope your boy can deal with this without a GA!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/17/2011, 6:43 pm

Tank had one last year at age 11 and he is also hypothyroid. He did fine, but my vet is VERY careful with my pugs especially my older guys.

Tank will likely need another within the next year as he has a tendency to crack or fracture teeth. I'm cautious, but I also don't let dental stuff get too far out of hand as it can poison a whole body and is one of the major (I think) causes of cardiac issues in older dogs.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down