Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Test results back

+3
thminis
papaspugs
Mel
7 posters

Go down

Test results back Empty Test results back

Post  Mel 2/21/2011, 3:43 pm

The bacteria is called, Proteus. She said Amoxicillin, which is what Zoe's on, will work on this bacteria. She just needs to be on it longer (which is what my original vet had suggested) so Zoe's gonna be on it for 3 weeks total. that's alot of peanut butter for my little chunky monkey!

I'm just glad we finally figured out what it was.
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Test results back Empty Re: Test results back

Post  papaspugs 2/21/2011, 3:49 pm

Glad you know what you are dealing with now. That is half the battle. Zoe is going to be happy about the peanut butter though!
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 2/21/2011, 3:54 pm

Makes sense that you haven't had much luck totally beating the bacteria. I googled it quick and it's rod shaped (which are usually more bacteria resistant) and it has flagella so it's motile (meaning it can actually "swim" up the urinary tract...which is how most bacteria that cause things like UTIs function).

Glad you found out what it is and can now treat for a while with an effective antibiotic. Good thoughts for Mel!
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 2/21/2011, 4:44 pm

Proteus is a nasty little bugger. We had our run in with it with Pugsy (she was on trimeth sulfa for it). I hope that Zoe's infection clears up quickly! hug dog
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 2/21/2011, 5:39 pm

papaspugs wrote: Zoe is going to be happy about the peanut butter though!

oh, she'll be thrilled. cheers I also pet her while she's licking the PB off my fingers. now that's love!
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 2/21/2011, 6:35 pm

Great! Now you know for sure things will clear up, and Zoe is gonna be happy with 3 weeks of PB!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  viralmd 2/22/2011, 8:08 am

Is it Proteus mirabilis or Proteus vulgaris? About 10-20% of P mirabilis is RESISTANT to ampicillin (the IV equivalent of amoxicillin). And just about ALL of P vulgaris is resistant. THIS is why it's critical to get susceptibilities!

And I could have bet you mega money if they checked the pH of the urine it would be HIGH. As I said before, only Proteus and Ureaplasma[i] commonly cause UTIs with a high urinary pH.

viralmd

Number of posts : 56
Location : Cyrilia, an independent entity contained entirely within the City of New York

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 2/22/2011, 1:02 pm

In her first UA they told me her PH was 8 and it was rod shaped bacteria that might take more than 1 round of ABX.
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 2/22/2011, 2:31 pm

Mel wrote:In her first UA they told me her PH was 8 and it was rod shaped bacteria that might take more than 1 round of ABX.
8 is a high pH. You want it between 5.5 and 7.0. I strive for 6 to 6.5. And urinary pH will fluctuate throughout the day in most dogs. Lower than 5 and you risk other issues--like calcium oxalate crystals.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 2/22/2011, 3:09 pm

yeah, I knew it was high. I just wanted Alice to see that I got that information the first time around. Wink Cause you guys told me to! lol
Mel
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down