Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who does home cooked meals?

2 posters

Go down

Who does home cooked meals? Empty Who does home cooked meals?

Post  Renee 3/28/2011, 1:28 pm

I'm thinking of trying to transition my foster Winston to home-cooked meals, in the hopes that a potential adopter will be able to keep it up.

I had him on a raw diet for about 6 weeks. It really, really made an improvement for him. However, I was concerned that we would not be able to find anyone to adopt him that would stick with a raw diet.

So, I transitioned him to The Honest Kitchen. Now, I know that wasn't the absolute best plan (because of the sweet potato being an ingredient), but I wanted to see how he did, if the allergies were "manageable" and just in general see where it took him. He's been on THK Embark for about a month. I have seen an increase in yeast on his belly, but his face has stayed clear.

I don't want the yeast to increase, so I know I need to get him off THK. It was a good test though, so I am not sorry I did it. I don't even want to try any kibble. We did try two different kibbles and he had an immediate reaction to both. I know those are off the table.

Sorry this has become long winded!! What I really need to know is who feeds a home cooked diet. What diet/recipe are you using? What supplements are you using? Do you make ahead and freeze it? How much are you making / freezing at a time?

I have already purchased a few supplements from B-Naturals. I need to find some calcium carbonate, wait for my immune blend to arrive in the mail, and then I was just going to jump right in. I would love to have a plan before he is adopted, which may be soon. We have a wonderful application in on him, and I would like to guide these people through this.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Who does home cooked meals? Empty Re: Who does home cooked meals?

Post  PugLady3 3/28/2011, 2:52 pm

I cook for Buster due to his cancer. I pretty much follow Lew Olson's cancer diet from her "Raw & Natural Nutrition for Dogs" book - rotating protein & vegetable sources from week to week. For calcium, I either use Animal Essentials Calcium or ground eggshell. He also gets the Immune Blend & fish oil capsules from B-Naturals, among other things. I typically cook up one big batch per week and then freeze a few containers and keep a one or two in the fridge at a time. Little rectangular Gladware plastic containers are pretty handy for storage.

I know that there are some recipes in Lew's book for allergy prone dogs. You might want to check out the Yahoo group that she moderates too - lots of useful info. there & you can ask her questions directly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9Nutrition/
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down