Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Folks with allergy dogs

+6
Mel
Saira
Amanda
LisaIzzyAggy
Renee
northernwitch
10 posters

Go down

Folks with allergy dogs Empty Folks with allergy dogs

Post  northernwitch 4/25/2011, 6:07 pm

For those of you with allergy dogs and that are enduring the rainy weather--any issues with your dogs? I have had Theo and Tank pretty stable for a long time and now we seem to be in a full scale allergy outbreak. NOTHING has changed except the ongoing wet, rainy, damp weather--and warming temps. I'm chalking it up to that--leaf mold, grass mold, what have you.

Both Tank and Theo are itchier (Theo especially) and have goopy eyes--but allergy goopy as opposed to the dreaded ulcer goopy. I do know that both have environmental and seasonal allergies, but this is bad.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Folks with allergy dogs Empty Re: Folks with allergy dogs

Post  Renee 4/25/2011, 6:27 pm

Yes, I have seen an increase in allergies - although it has improved in the last week.

A few weeks ago, it was wet and crappy out, while all the snow was melting. Winston's eyes got very goopy and the itching increased. Ichiro's eyes have been watering more, and got red for a few days. That has improved too.

It's dried up somewhat, and my yard has a good amount of dry spots, so his allergies have dropped off again.

I'm waiting for Skeeter's belly to break out. As soon as it is warm enough, he'll try and lay in the grass, and his belly will get a rash.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 4/25/2011, 6:51 pm

Izzy was really bad about a month ago but seems to be settling down the last couple (rainy) weeks.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 4/25/2011, 7:03 pm

Nell flared up about a week ago but seems ok at the moment. She's generally very random with her flare ups though. I, on the other hand, am a mess. Just read something funny - the pollen is so bad that even the addicts are trying to convert their meth back into Sudafed.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 4/25/2011, 7:20 pm

The last time we had a few days of rain, it was miserable around here. Hooli kept chewing on his feet until they were red. The fake grass seemed to have helped the pugs, but I'm still suffering.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 4/25/2011, 7:32 pm

Amanda wrote:the pollen is so bad that even the addicts are trying to convert their meth back into Sudafed.

rofl
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Folks with allergy dogs Empty Saira

Post  Miss Pugg 4/25/2011, 8:35 pm

I am intrigued with the fake grass. Where in the heck do you find it? Is it in a landscaping store, Home Depot, where? Can homeowners put it in themselves. We have a big muddy bare spot when the fence was for all winter and it's a mess right now with all the rain (moved the fence to a grassy area) and we need something to cover the mud. Thanks
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 4/25/2011, 8:38 pm

Miss Pugg wrote:I am intrigued with the fake grass. Where in the heck do you find it? Is it in a landscaping store, Home Depot, where? Can homeowners put it in themselves. We have a big muddy bare spot when the fence was for all winter and it's a mess right now with all the rain (moved the fence to a grassy area) and we need something to cover the mud. Thanks

Joanne, here is the link to some of my before and after pics: http://www.pugauthority.com/t8507-my-yard

I think you can put it in yourself (I found some do it yourself links) but we hired landscapers to do it. We love it so far!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/25/2011, 9:01 pm

With Theo it's all foot chewing. And he has a yeasty flare up in his groin on one side. I'm pretty sure with him it's mold. He's not chewed his feet in months and in the last couple of weeks he has been plus the lymph node flare up.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 4/25/2011, 11:46 pm

Blanche do you have a veterinary opthamologist you can call? I know I've heard my pugs' recommend a human OTC allergy eye drop for dogs (I shadowed her over winter break). I can't remember what it is. It might just a whatever general product you can find at a drug store, but I'd hate to recommend something incorrectly. Even if you maybe up the amount of using an OTC eye gel (I really like Genteal severe dry eyes gel) to help keep out allergens. Actually, more like a wash/drop might help flush their eyes out better.

I went home for Easter and Reggie was super itchy, but luckily not his feet or anything causing him to itch/bite. Just his ears flaring up... Not sure what you could try, tho. They may not be okay with it, but booties to help prevent contact between feet and ground? It'd be extreme and I don't know if they pups would comply, but could you section off an area and put tarps down all expect a small area for them to use? How often do they need to go out? Quick cool water oatmeal soaks on their feet after going out (maybe up to their bellies if needed)? Any chance they use potty pads and you could either lay them inside or on a deck? Would your vet sell you any sort of medicated shampoo?

Do your guys get Omega 3 supplements at all? They have natural anti inflammatory aspects, and also can possibly help the skin create a further barrier from allergens. Again, the optho I shadowed highly recommends it for allergy dogs. She recommends a larger dose than what classic canine containers usually say, but I can't remember what it is. I should give her a call...
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/26/2011, 12:30 am

The dogs all get high doses of Omega 3--3 to 4 times the amount on the bottle as per the instructions of my homeo vet. And the issue with Theo is that he is deaf and blind so changing his environment outside (putting down a tarp) isn't do-able. It would totally throw him off since he relies entirely on his sense of smell. Same issue with the pee pad--being blind and deaf makes using a pee pad nearly impossible for him

The boots are a big maybe--again, he's not that flexible a guy and I don't want to throw him off. Forcing him into anything isn't workable and he's not a huge fan of having his feet messed with much. I'd rather not risk increasing his "don't touch my feet" issues with boots since I need to be able to medicate his feet.

I use Nizoral shampoo on my vet's recommendation when the yeast flare ups are bad. I don't use oatmeal soaks as both Tank and Theo react to oatmeal--internally or externally. I do use decaffeinated green tea bags on my homeo vets recommendation--I apply them warm to the itchiest spots.

I do use allergy eye drops as well as eye lube--both liquid and gel on all the dogs who have eyes (Theo only has one). The vet ophthalmologists and I are on a first name basis given the rescue work.

I think it's mold with Theo so I wipe off his feet when he comes in and apply some Burow's solution or use the Malaceptic wipes. I also use Reactine with him. It has helped.

I think we just have to "weather" the weather and keep everyone as comfortable as possible.

Thanks for the suggestions, though, Teresa.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 4/26/2011, 1:39 am

Can you get hold of some Calendula Tea? Most herbal shops here stock it. It makes a lovely soothing rinse and seems to be slightly antifungal as well. It is constantly being recommended on my all-breeds board and, so far, no dog has had a bad reaction to it.

Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 4/26/2011, 5:44 am

Allergies are an immune disorder. Which has me thinking about what are the best immune builders for dogs? (Other than a good diet of course). I don't know the answer for dogs. I'm much more familiar with the cat side of the immunity equation.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 4/26/2011, 6:56 am

Best immune system builders?
(1) Good diet
(2) Good genes
(3) Good environment
( 4) Moderate immunity challenges to build resistance

That's my opinion, anyway.
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 4/26/2011, 7:09 am

Calendula is a no go as Tank reacts to it. Haven't tried it on Theo.

My dogs are raw fed--whole carcass diet for Tank and Theo as they both have systemic yeast so no fruits or vegs that convert to sugar.

Both get a supplement called Immuno-Support as both have compromised immune systems so I can only support their systems and not boost them. And they are both elderly--Theo has his grade 4 heart murmur which probably doesn't help.

They go to the dog park, have foster dogs around, etc so do get moderate immune challenges.

This is allergies and the damp and I'm just going to have to deal with it, I think.

Sorry to be a "yes, but" type here, but I've tried most things and with my crew I have to be careful about what I do as their systems can get overwhelmed easily.

At this point, we are treating eyes with drops, giving Reactine or Benadryl as needed and I make sure to wash and dry Theo's feet when he comes in.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down