Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surprise! Sophie is in heat!

+5
Aussie Witch
Maryjo
PugLady3
northernwitch
Buddy's Mom
9 posters

Go down

Surprise!  Sophie is in heat! Empty Surprise! Sophie is in heat!

Post  Buddy's Mom 4/28/2011, 1:12 pm

We've had Sophie for 2, almost 3 weeks and surprise she is in heat today! I just noticed little blood spots on my blanket. SO, having never had a girl dog in heat I called and checked to see if my local pet supply store carried girl panties, they don't. She suggested cheap baby diapers. Would that work and what size should I get? Sophie is small, weighing only 14 lbs with a very small waist. Ideas? I would like to get something today!

And just so I know, how long does this last? Should I still bring her to the vet Tuesday for her shots or wait until it has passed. I did not expect this now, I was hoping to have her spayed first. Thanks!!
Buddy's Mom
Buddy's Mom

Number of posts : 218

Back to top Go down

Surprise!  Sophie is in heat! Empty Re: Surprise! Sophie is in heat!

Post  northernwitch 4/28/2011, 1:30 pm

Heat cycles usually last 2 to 3 weeks start to finish. she can't be spayed for at least four weeks after that and NO on the vaccines. I never vaccinate a bitch in heat.

Diapers can work--I've used them in a pinch, but bought Bitchie Britches to keep on hand for just such emergencies.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 4/28/2011, 2:26 pm

Do you have a Petco nearby? I think that I've seen these (or something similar) at our local store:

http://www.petco.com/product/112218/PETCO-Reusable-Diaper-Garments-For-Dogs.aspx?CoreCat=MM_DogSupplies_HousetrainingIncontinence

Just line them with a pantyliner & change the pad frequently. Petsmart would probably carry something similar too.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 4/28/2011, 2:37 pm

Another thing... She CANNOT go outside by herself. You must keep her on a leash for potty breaks and be ready to snatch her up if a male dog jumps your fence. She could easily be mauled by a large, frustrated, male dog.

Good luck, and I'll pray she stays safe.

Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 4/28/2011, 2:52 pm

I've used newborn-size disposable nappies on LouLou and Puck when they needed them, and cut a hole for their tails. They do fall off a little too easily for my liking, so I would hunt down some bitch's britches if you can. Good luck!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Pit 4/28/2011, 3:06 pm

You can also use boys' briefs and put them on so the peep opening is on top for her tail to go through and line them with sanitary pads or pantiliners.

Trish

Miss Pit

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

Post  Buddy's Mom 4/28/2011, 3:34 pm

Thanks guys!! She will definitely not be going out alone. I will cancel her vet appt for now. Would a month be safe for vaccines? Then we can schedule her spay. Good grief! I guess this is what happens when you don't get much background. I knew she wasn't spayed yet but had no idea heat would come this quick. I have no petsmart anywhere near here, maybe I will try the boys underwear with a pad for now. I'm ordering doggie panties tonight.
Buddy's Mom
Buddy's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 4/29/2011, 12:18 pm

Buddy's Mom wrote:Thanks guys!! She will definitely not be going out alone. I will cancel her vet appt for now. Would a month be safe for vaccines? Then we can schedule her spay. Good grief! I guess this is what happens when you don't get much background. I knew she wasn't spayed yet but had no idea heat would come this quick. I have no petsmart anywhere near here, maybe I will try the boys underwear with a pad for now. I'm ordering doggie panties tonight.

You know what is even worse? We had in a pug once that the shelter said they had spayed. About a month later...SUPRISE!! Rolling Eyes

Good luck to Sophie and you! I've heard they can get moodier. When we got our Sophie she couldn't get spayed until we got her other medical issues other control so I lived in constant fear she'd go into heat before we could spay her.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Buddy's Mom 4/29/2011, 1:05 pm

So far so good with Sophie. She is still her sweet self. Maybe a little bit more tired than usual. We found a place that sells the britches and are going to get some today. Her bleeding has been very little so far. My boys don't even seem to notice a difference which is very odd! Thanks for the help! I really had no idea what to do. I did cancel her vet appointment until further notice. I can't wait to get her spayed and not have to worry about this again!

Poor girl

Surprise!  Sophie is in heat! Ry%3D400
Buddy's Mom
Buddy's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 4/29/2011, 1:23 pm

what a cutie. is it weird to say I can't wait to see her in her britches??

she's a woman now! rofl
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Buddy's Mom 4/29/2011, 1:51 pm

Mel wrote:what a cutie. is it weird to say I can't wait to see her in her britches??

she's a woman now! rofl

Laughing I will post a picture once we get her suited up. I'm really curious how she is going to deal with wearing something. My boys wear belly bands from time to time and are fine with them, so hopefully she'll be as easy.

And you reminded me of when I was a youngster and began menstruating. I was an early bloomer, only in 4th grade, so when my teacher took me out in the hallway and said "you're a woman now" I almost passed out!! rofl That's why I say poor girl to Sophie.
Buddy's Mom
Buddy's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Buddy's Mom 4/29/2011, 5:47 pm

We're back with a girlie diaper in hand... Here's Sophie sporting her new blue jean underpants. Wink

And of her and Buddy snuggling the other day.

And Buddy and Oscar and Oscar's tongue...

Buddy's Mom
Buddy's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 4/29/2011, 9:55 pm

Hi Jennifer -

Answered you on the "other forum". Just a note that when you do get the vaccinations, split them up by at leat 3 weeks.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down