Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why don't people get Heartworm?

5 posters

Go down

Why don't people get Heartworm? Empty Why don't people get Heartworm?

Post  Not Afraid 5/7/2011, 3:07 am

I'm sitting here in bed scratching my legs because I was eaten alive by mosquitoes. We had 3 days of hot weather and, apparently, the newly hatched buggers thought I was a good first meal. I have about 15 bites on my legs and, while joking about getting malaria, I started thinking about heartworm in dogs and cats and wondering why people don't get it.

Or do they?
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Why don't people get Heartworm? Empty Re: Why don't people get Heartworm?

Post  Aussie Witch 5/7/2011, 5:36 am

When you think of the devastating affect on dogs that have it, you wonder why people don't give the medication. So easy, so effective. hair pull
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 5/7/2011, 9:07 am

From the American Heartworm Society's web page:

"Can people get heartworm disease from a mosquito bite?

Answer: Yes, it is possible. Fortunately, people are not natural hosts for heartworms. However, there have been cases in which the larvae migrate to the person's heart and lung arteries. In these cases, the larvae died before they matured into adult worms and the person's body produced "scar tissue" around the worm. This can look like a spot on the lungs on an X-ray.

According to medical reports, most people (over 50 percent) infected with a heartworm or two never had symptoms, but some people (33 percent) had chest pains, some (20 percent) had a cough, and fewer (15 percent) had a fever. About 1 percent experienced spitting up blood or difficulty breathing. Most people that are diagnosed with heartworms are "smokers." When the physician sees the white spot (called a "coin lesion") on the chest X-ray, they are also concerned that it might be primary lung cancer. Additional testing or even surgery (to remove the suspect spots) may occur. It is after surgical removal and microscopic evaluation of the spot that some of these cases have been identified as heartworm, rather than cancer. Unfortunately, there is no reliable diagnostic test for heartworm disease in humans."
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 5/9/2011, 8:33 am

Basic answer is this is a parasite that has evolved to live and breed in canine organs, not human ones.

The nasty horrible devastasting effect it can have on dogs is pretty much matched by the nasty horrible effect that Hydatid tapeworms can have in people, and part of the hydatid life cycle needs a canid host.

Different parasites choose different hosts but in some cases, they can cross over. We do need to be vigilant in parasite prevention to protect all out family - fur and skin.
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Nan and BAGS 5/16/2011, 11:52 am

Amen - and I feel the same way about flea treatment..... If you ever had a house with fleas? ugh. NEVER.AGAIN. And I didnt even own an animal at that time!!!
Nan and BAGS
Nan and BAGS

Number of posts : 869

http://http:/nanandbags.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down