Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fostering a heartworm positive pug?

+8
Rebecca and the Pugs
Maryjo
dieselsmom
Not Afraid
Pugsaunt
northernwitch
PugLady3
TNPUGMOMOF3
12 posters

Go down

Fostering a heartworm positive pug? Empty Fostering a heartworm positive pug?

Post  Guest 3/15/2010, 3:29 pm

I am going to foster a heartworm positive pug who has gotten treatment since Januray. Anything I should be concerned about?

Last edited by Donna on 3/15/2010, 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Fostering a heartworm positive pug? Empty Re: Fostering a heartworm positive pug?

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 3/15/2010, 4:20 pm

Just need to know how positive the pug was. If it was a bad case you need to keep them calm as possible to avoid more strain on the heart. Other than that, not that I can think of.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Fostering a heartworm positive pug? Empty Re: Fostering a heartworm positive pug?

Post  Guest 3/15/2010, 4:25 pm

Thanks Marci, I never knew that. I'll see if I can find out from the rescue group. Should I be concerned about my dogs getting it?

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 3/15/2010, 5:02 pm

Donna wrote:Should I be concerned about my dogs getting it?

HW cannot be transmitted directly from dog to dog. It's transmitted by mosquitoes who have bitten an infected dog. Here's a website with some good information:

http://www.heartwormsociety.org

Good luck with your new foster! Fostering a heartworm positive pug? 335895
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/15/2010, 5:55 pm

Thanks, I've never had to deal with a HW dog before so I am just a bit concerned.
Here is her pic, she is approx 4-6 yrs old coming from a mill somewhere near Indiana or that is where she is currently being held. He name is Sharon, but I'm sure that will change. I'll be getting her on sunday.

Fostering a heartworm positive pug? %23906%20sharon

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/15/2010, 6:52 pm

Oh Lord--look at that sweet little face. What a darling.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 3/15/2010, 6:58 pm

What a sweet face! No advice, as I have no experience with heartworm (thank Dog), just huge hugs to you for your wonderfully open heart. Fostering a heartworm positive pug? 27965
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 3/15/2010, 7:23 pm

What an adorable face!!! I love her already!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 3/15/2010, 7:26 pm

northernwitch wrote:Oh Lord--look at that sweet little face. What a darling.

I was thinking the same thing - she is one cute little girl. Goo luck, Donna.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 3/15/2010, 7:30 pm

What a pretty girl. Fostering a heartworm positive pug? 335895

As long as you have your pugs on heartworm protection, no mosquito in the area can bite her and transmit it to your gang. (although that is unlikely anyway.) Plus, is she has been treated since January, I doubt if there are any live microfillia (not sure if that is the right word) for the mosquito to pick up.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 3/15/2010, 8:05 pm

Peachy was heartworm postitive when she came into rescue. Pugsley, the pug she resided with was heartworm negative. Bubba had already been on Interceptor, so I wasn't worried about him. We stared Pugsley on Interceptor right away too. It took 10 months before Peachy tested negative. Due to her age, we did a Doxycycline and Heartguard treatment. Doxycycline is used to treat malaria in humans. Peachy had so many medical issues when she came into rescue that heartworm was actually the least of our worries. I am glad she is finally clear though (and Linda the communicator predicted the week she would clear).
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 3/15/2010, 8:21 pm

She's beautiful! Actually, she reminds me a lot of Jackson.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/15/2010, 9:05 pm

I wasn't really ready emotional to get another foster so quickly but I saw that face and just could not say no.
My guys have just started there Heartgard this month, and the fact that she has been in a vets office since Jan does make me feel better about it.
I'll let you all know when I get her how she is. If her personality is as cute as her face she will be placed in no time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 3/15/2010, 9:38 pm

Gosh she is adorable! Donna, you rock!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Javalita 3/16/2010, 3:09 pm

She is a cutie! Good luck with her!!!
Javalita
Javalita

Number of posts : 964

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 3/16/2010, 5:49 pm

Who could resist that face. Good luck Donna! Fostering a heartworm positive pug? 335895
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/18/2010, 5:23 pm

oOh she is just too cute! That is so wonderful that you are taking her in. I hope everything goes well. I dont have anything to suggest..but good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 3/18/2010, 6:11 pm

Donna wrote:I wasn't really ready emotional to get another foster so quickly but I saw that face and just could not say no.
My guys have just started there Heartgard this month, and the fact that she has been in a vets office since Jan does make me feel better about it.
I'll let you all know when I get her how she is. If her personality is as cute as her face she will be placed in no time.

I am never ready emotionally either, but there are so many out there that need foster homes, I just have to tell myself that my last foster is home and safe and this new baby really needs to feel the same way!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down