Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What a night!

+2
Aussie Witch
Buddy's Mom
6 posters

Go down

What a night! Empty What a night!

Post  Buddy's Mom 9/23/2011, 8:07 am

I received my reminder on my computer last night to clip Buddy and Oscars toenails. Sophie was just done at the vet. So out to the kitchen I go with Oscar, a pillow and clippers. He was a very good boy as usual. Then there's Buddy, hes not necessarily bad behaved he just pulls his feet like crazy and I end up with cramps in my hands trying to hold him still. I clipped 2 quicks, one on the outside of each of his back feet. Rarely do I quick them. It turned out to be SO MUCH WORSE than a little clipped quick though. I could not stop the bleeding!!

Normally a little flour or corn starch and pressure shuts it right off but not this time. I was in the kitchen with him for 45 minutes while my hubby brought me everything but the kitchen sink. Finally we got it to slow down, we put a paste of flour, baking soda and water on it and wrapped it with an ace bandage. They all went to bed.

This morning 10 hours later it started bleeding again. He and Oscar are in the kitchen keeping calm while Sophie hangs out with me. Needless to say I ordered Quik Stop powder last night from Amazon. It should be here next week. I will never clip them again without it. I hope it stays okay today or he's taking a trip to the vet.

I have him on Glucosamine and Chondritin with MSM, do you guys think the MSM is what is making it bleed so much? That's the only reason I can come up with. And does anyone have any other tricks to stopping bleeding?
Buddy's Mom
Buddy's Mom

Number of posts : 218

Back to top Go down

What a night! Empty Re: What a night!

Post  Aussie Witch 9/23/2011, 3:15 pm

Those things bleed like the dickens if you catch 'em, but sounds like yours was more of a tsunami than a bleed! I don't know if the additives would cause the bleeding to be more intense, but you never know.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/23/2011, 3:18 pm

Poor Buddy and poor you! I checked all my drug references and bleeding or slow coagulation are not side effects of MSM, nor glucosamine, nor chondroitin. Penny gets her pawdicures at the groomer or the vet, and we gave up on clippers a long time ago, partly due to quicks being clipped and bleeding like stuck pigs. I now insist on the dremel, and she hasn't had a problem with it. Even delicately holds her paw up for it!
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Buddy's Mom 9/23/2011, 5:40 pm

I wish I could use the dremmel on him. I bought one last year thinking he may do better because he pulls so much. Buddy hates the dremmel 100 times worse than clippers!! Really all of them dislike the dremmel but for Buddy, he just knows it's going to kill him. afraid
Buddy's Mom
Buddy's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 9/23/2011, 8:49 pm

Hmm...I can't think of any tricks except quick stop or what you've tried and keeping him immobile as it clots. Possibly clip less toes at a time? The more stressed they get, the higher their blood pressure goes and if you quick 'em, they'll bleed that much more.

For the bleeders that won't stop at the vets, we use silver nitrate sticks to cauterize the quick (really only rarely - most nails stop bleeding with quick stop). Not the most comfortable situation, but it's only a few seconds and does the job instantly.
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  PugMomto3 9/24/2011, 6:24 am

Pugsley had a really bad bleeder one time from the groomer. She managed to get it to stop for me to take him home, but it started again once home. She told me to stick his nail into a bar of soap. And if that didn't work to use a dab of crazy glue.

The bar of soap did work. But funny thing is we use shower gel, took forever to find a bar of soap in the house, finally found a small sample bar I had probably "borrowed" from a hotel stay. By that time it has slowed down considerably so not sure if the soap truely helped or if it just was stopping on its own.
PugMomto3
PugMomto3

Number of posts : 543

Back to top Go down

Post  Buddy's Mom 9/24/2011, 9:38 am

I never thought of crazy glue, that's an idea. I tried the soap bar and it helped until he moved again.

After bleeding again yesterday morning, it stopped and stayed that way. I'm afraid that I will be watched by the government now as I searched silver nitrate and came up with an abundance of homemade bomb sites!!! I did order the Quik Stop powder and will never clip without it again.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. What a scary situation that was!
Buddy's Mom
Buddy's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  pugmom 9/25/2011, 9:03 pm

My grand pug Tobby is a real bleeder if his daddy happens to get the quick. Tobby is another one of those pugs who manages to wiggle his paw just the second my son move in for each nail. So far the Quik Stop has always worked to stop the bleeding.
pugmom
pugmom

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  Buddy's Mom 9/26/2011, 6:34 am

pugmom wrote:My grand pug Tobby is a real bleeder if his daddy happens to get the quick. Tobby is another one of those pugs who manages to wiggle his paw just the second my son move in for each nail. So far the Quik Stop has always worked to stop the bleeding.

Good to know! I can count the amount of times I've made him bleed on one hand and I've been doing his nails for almost 7 years. Now since I have had this happen I feel like I need to be prepared. And yes, that is exactly what he does. My hand will literally get cramps from trying to hold his foot still.
Buddy's Mom
Buddy's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down