Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Viv almost passed out last night ?

+2
papaspugs
Amanda
6 posters

Go down

Viv almost passed out last night ? Empty Viv almost passed out last night ?

Post  Guest 11/5/2011, 8:34 am

My brother was over last night and Viv was very excited to see him, I noticed she was having a hard time breathing because she was so excited. I bent down to comfort her and all four legs gave way and she went down, of course my mind just raced thinking oh no don't do this to me, not this yr, I stuck my finger in down her throat, it was the only thing I could think of, it took her a second but she came to and was fine the rest of the night.

Any thoughts, suggestions, did I do the right thing? This is NOT the year for something to happen to her.

Back to top Go down

Viv almost passed out last night ? Empty Re: Viv almost passed out last night ?

Post  Amanda 11/5/2011, 9:43 am

Poor Viv. Lucy has had 2 "spells." It's when she's been in a really worked up spin and she just kind of went over. No shaking, etc. and her eyes would follow me so she was "there" but it was like her body was frozen. As quickly as I could reach down to get her though, she'd be back up and fine. It only happened twice, about a year apart, and hasn't happened in a couple years now. I figure it certainly could be some kind of seizure. I worry about her heart because of all the spinning. I mentioned it to the vet next time we were there and she checked out fine. Wouldn't hurt to mention it to your vet next time you're there.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 11/5/2011, 9:59 am

I swear these pugs keep us on our toes. I would mention it to you vet the next time just so that they have a record of it. It could have been that she got so worked up breathing so heavily that it irritated her throat and caused it to swell and close momentarily. Or the muscles got to worked up and just over reacted and closed off her airway. Does this even make sense of what I am trying to say? I think that we can all atest to our pugs getting extreamly worked up over something at some point in time. Hopefully it was just a one time event. If she is acting fine then I would chalk it up for single event, but if she is acting off or differently, then I would have her checked out.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 11/5/2011, 3:24 pm

jeez! how scary!

I have not seen that in my pugs... so no insight here... def, mention it and keep an eye... is she in a collar when this happens - or a harness that might be too small if she "swells" a little getting heated up??

I am just grasping here!
ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 11/5/2011, 3:28 pm

I have had the same thing happen with two fosters. Once was post eating, I think something was caught. The second I wasn't sure wha happened. We got both checked out and nothing was found. And it only happened that once. I hope the same is true with viv!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 11/5/2011, 3:47 pm

Donna, I can imagine your panic! I have seen this before and it's not uncommon. Sometimes they can just get excited and they don't breathe for a moment; no blood gets to their brain and.........BINGO. The medical term for it is "syncope" (pronounced "sin-co-pee") which just means "fainting". (This is all from my vet after LouLou's two episodes many years ago - two and no more). The main thing is seconds later they are completely fine. We're NOT. Definitely worth mentioning to your vet.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 11/5/2011, 4:14 pm

I second what Rona suspects and suggests. Sounds like a syncopal episode and definitely mention it to your vet. I cannot imagine how frightened you were!Viv almost passed out last night ? 27965
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/5/2011, 4:56 pm

Thanks everyone. This is the second time it's happened, in the past 3 months.She has gotten super excited in the past and this has never happened, just odd that it is happening now.
It is almost like her excitement got the best of her and she was gasping for air, similar to syncope.
I will mention it the next time I go to the vet.
Seriously scared the crap out of me, I was a paranoid mess the rest of the night!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down