Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you feed your food allergy pug?

+14
smoochieface
PugLady3
Two Crazy Pugs
GracieNEmma
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
LisaIzzyAggy
PugMomto3
Candace
GingerSnap
Renee
destanie101
northernwitch
Miss Pugg
thminis
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What do you feed your food allergy pug? - Page 2 Empty Re: What do you feed your food allergy pug?

Post  smoochieface 10/28/2011, 6:33 pm

Miss Pit wrote:Theresa,I would feed what you feel comfortable feeding Reggie. I'm going to tell you what my vet told me about Rx food. He was at a convention and there was quite a few dermatologist/allergist vets there. They were/are up in arms about the petfood industry because the food that is purchased at the store can have it's ingredients changed and not have to list it for up until three months. Some of the vets will recommend certain brands(non Rx) for their allergy patients. The cat/dog will be doing great on them and all of a sudden their allergies will flare up. Where as the Rx food, because it is a prescription will always be accurate.

I would go ahead and feed the script Royal Canin,since you do get it at a discount,just to see how your little man does on it.

Trish

That's my vet's take on it, also. He realizes the Rx foods are not ideal but he says those are the only manufacturers who have agreed to fully disclose accurate lists showing ingredients and exact of amount of each ingredient in the food. When we reached an impasse about me not wanting to put Bruno on Hill's (for struvite crystals), we compromised on finding high quality senior food (usually have less ingredients and fewer additives) or single grain, single protein, simple recipe type foods that have the fewest number of ingredients in the food.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

What do you feed your food allergy pug? - Page 2 Empty Potatoes

Post  Miss Pugg 10/28/2011, 8:00 pm

So far, the RC rabbit food (with potatoes) hasn't given Jasmine yeast but it's only been six months. It's really hard to get here, always on back order at the vet's or not available, etc.etc. This time, I'm getting two bags, just in case. The dog who easily gets yeast is Willow Pug. She is on a diet of Solid Gold Beef and Barley and thru those silly AK tests, this was found to be the best for her. I spent a small fortune on Jasmine and Willow's AK tests, doing them every month as they would change, and for J., it made NO improvement at all, just made things worse. It has kept Willow from having diarrhea during the night which is a huge blessing. Gosh, I've had dogs all my life and until recently, no problems with reactions from their dog food. My ancient old Buffy has a tummy of iron, can eat anything but she's now on RC GD for her heart & another organ.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

What do you feed your food allergy pug? - Page 2 Empty Re: What do you feed your food allergy pug?

Post  pugpillow 10/28/2011, 10:34 pm

Here's the link on Elimination Diets: http://pugalug.com/forums/index.php/topic,9278.0.html

Grain-free should not increase weight. It should, all things being equal, help with weight control. My experience, though, is that simple protein raw trials are best. Tina is on turkey only (with ground turkey bones at night) and we will try to increase the variety of protein sources again shortly. My new foster boy, Murdoch, is highly allergic and he is currently having some success with chicken only (and Breakfast Slop in the morning). He was no good on turkey.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 10/29/2011, 7:43 pm

Chyna eats Addiction Summer Brushtail dehydrated raw. I order it through www.k9cuisine.com or another website of which I can't remember at the moment. I alternate since one usually has a sale going on. Chyna also did well on the Addiction Kangaroo dry kibble.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2