Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eating grass

+5
PugLady3
Milosmom
pugpillow
TNPUGMOMOF3
Miss Pugg
9 posters

Go down

Eating grass Empty Eating grass

Post  Miss Pugg 7/18/2012, 10:44 pm

Does anyone know why a dog eats grass? Is it because the tummy is hurting? My Pap/Doxie mix whines to go outside, not to do her duties, but to munch on grass. She did this two weeks ago also and the vet gave us Metacam which seemed to help but now she's starting it again. I feel her food is not the best, it came with her from the shelter and she's itching, licking, slurping at her rear end, rolling around in the grass and rubbing her eyes on the grass (when she's not eating it). I am donating it to the shelter along with an unopened bag of Purina something. Two of the first ingredients are corn meal and something else with corn. She's a very picky eater and eats about one meal out of four offered to her. I don't know what her present food is but it's going to GO! It came to me in an unmarked bag and I'll bet it's nothing good. Any info gratefully appreciated.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Eating grass Empty Re: Eating grass

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 7/18/2012, 11:05 pm

I always thought that was the case, that if they are eating grass, they have an upset tummy... Well, Lola LOVES to eat grass and there is NOTHING wrong with her tummy. I believe she is part cow and enjoys chewing her cud. Very Happy Hank will do it on occassion. No problems with his tummy either... They are of course starved and are trying to convince all that will listen that they are not fed nearly enough.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 7/18/2012, 11:52 pm

Murdoch is also an eater of grass, and wood, and clover, and stuffies, and plastic toys, and ... It's his only fault.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Milosmom 7/19/2012, 12:15 am

I was always told it was because their tummy hurt to but now living with my own little herd of cattle, it's not true. Laughing

Remi loooves grass and munching on it is one of his favorite hobbies. Drago only eats the fluffy green grass and only when it's grown to a certain height , never when it's fresh mowed short. Mickey has now taken up doing it to as well on top of making every effort to eat the flowers that are falling from the rose of sharon trees. 3 out of 5 and there is nothing wrong with anyones tummy.

Much like Marcies kids , I think mine are just plying that they are abused in form of starvation from the small portions rationed out to them daily. Rolling Eyes
Milosmom
Milosmom

Number of posts : 1178

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 7/19/2012, 9:54 am

Vader is a grass eater too. Bella will only eat it when she has an upset tummy. I would definitely throw out the bag of mystery food ASAP and get her on something higher quality. It sounds like she's allergic to something in it (probably the corn).
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Eating grass Empty eating grass

Post  Miss Pugg 7/19/2012, 1:00 pm

Thanks to you all. I switched her this morning (will be gradual) to Merricks Buffalo and Sweet Potato and I thought she was going to eat the dish, she enjoyed it so much. It has no corn in it. If this agrees with her and she has no more itching issues, it will be her new food as well as Ivy who seems to have an iron stomach. Her Rachel Ray Delish food (from her former owner) is also being tossed. I'm thrilled to have something that picky Sassy enjoys.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  CSollers 7/19/2012, 2:27 pm

Feeding your dog(s) high quality food is one of the best things you can do for them in the long run. It will improve their health and general quality of life, not to mention their meal time enjoyment.
CSollers
CSollers

Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post  catherine 8/28/2012, 8:31 pm

Miss Pugg wrote:Does anyone know why a dog eats grass? Is it because the tummy is hurting? My Pap/Doxie mix whines to go outside, not to do her duties, but to munch on grass. She did this two weeks ago also and the vet gave us Metacam which seemed to help but now she's starting it again. I feel her food is not the best, it came with her from the shelter and she's itching, licking, slurping at her rear end, rolling around in the grass and rubbing her eyes on the grass (when she's not eating it). I am donating it to the shelter along with an unopened bag of Purina something. Two of the first ingredients are corn meal and something else with corn. She's a very picky eater and eats about one meal out of four offered to her. I don't know what her present food is but it's going to GO! It came to me in an unmarked bag and I'll bet it's nothing good. Any info gratefully appreciated.
MY DOG, PUG IS ALLERGIC TO GRASS. SHE SCOOTS AFTER DOING HER BUSINESS. ALSO, NOW ON GRAIN FREE FOOD. THE FOOD MADE A BIG DIFFERENCE

catherine

Number of posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside 8/30/2012, 7:18 am

Rosie licks the water off the grass, then eats it...funny how she won't pee in it though :(
ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 8/30/2012, 11:17 am

My former vet, who now has a radio show, addressed this very question last week on his show. He said the truth is they just don't know. it's ok as long as the grass hasn't been treated with chemicals. (My mom used to say it meant they had an upset tummy, but I think that's a myth)
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down