Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My poor Makayla just can't tolerate the heat anymore

+5
Sara
Snifter&Toddy
MackandMattiesMom
Puglove2
dieselsmom
9 posters

Go down

My poor Makayla just can't tolerate the heat anymore Empty My poor Makayla just can't tolerate the heat anymore

Post  dieselsmom 4/19/2009, 2:31 am

Today was absolutely beautiful outside so the kids and I spent most of the day outside enjoying the warm weather and fresh air. But my poor Makayla, after being outside for a little while, not really doing much activity, just hanging around, got sick and threw up her entire breakfast.

She just can't tolerate any heat at all anymore. It started two years ago when I took her and Diesel for the local Humane Society's pet walk. We didn't make it 1/4 of a mile before she overheated and got sick. That was my first inclination that she was starting to not be able to tolerate warm weather and we had to be more careful with her. And her heat intolerance seems to get worse as she gets older.

Poor baby couldn't even enjoy the nice day without getting sick from being in the heat. So, we got out the kiddie pool, got her cooled down (I don't think she was in danger, her tummy just gets upset when she gets too warm) and she spent the rest of the afternoon in as much shade as possible and going to lay in the house when she needed a break.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

My poor Makayla just can't tolerate the heat anymore Empty Re: My poor Makayla just can't tolerate the heat anymore

Post  Puglove2 4/19/2009, 8:42 am

poor makayla. violet has a really hard time with the heat, too. she is fine to lie in the sun, but she can't go for very long walks in the heat. there have been a couple times that she got so overheated that we've had to stick her in the shower. poor girls!

Last edited by Puglove2 on 4/19/2009, 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

My poor Makayla just can't tolerate the heat anymore Empty Re: My poor Makayla just can't tolerate the heat anymore

Post  MackandMattiesMom 4/19/2009, 10:40 am

Mack and Mattie get hot with the humidity here in the summer. They come out with us in the afternoon when it's cooler to run and play in the yard. Otherwise, it's quick trips during the day for bathroom duties.

I hope Makayla is feeling better. hug dog
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 4/20/2009, 4:18 am

Poor Makayla. Nothing to do but keep her as cool as possible. Shame she can't enjoy the warm weather.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 4/20/2009, 11:02 am

Poor girl, yep Co-Pilot is the same way, she has never lost her breakfast over the heat, but if it's over 80 she can't do more than potty and come right back in. Even when it is cool she could never walk further than a mile and even that would be pushing it.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 4/20/2009, 11:11 am

Poor girl! I had the boys out for a walk in the park yesterday and while it was cool out, the sun was shining. It's just got black-pug friendly. Duke was so thirsty when we got home!

My uncle's brother-in-law had his bulldog over on Sat. when we were there. It was ab out 71 and poor Windsor just couldn't take it. She threw up a bunch of times.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 4/22/2009, 3:02 am

I feel horrible for poor Makayla. It was a scorcher this weekend, too. We took the boys for a 15 minute walk, doused them with water first, and took plenty of water breaks along the way. Even still, poor Bruno was worked when we got back. It took them all day to recover from that walk. Poor puggies. Lots of hugs to Makayla.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 4/22/2009, 11:53 pm

I have a "cool coat" that I put on Thurston when it gets hot. It completely saves the day.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 4/23/2009, 7:17 am

Not Afraid wrote:I have a "cool coat" that I put on Thurston when it gets hot. It completely saves the day.

Where did you get the cool coat? Maybe I should get one for Makayla. I feel so bad when we're outside and she can't be out for long cuz she gets sick. In summer we do a pretty good job of constantly keeping the pugs wetted down with their kiddie pool, but she still struggles with heat.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 4/23/2009, 9:48 am

Not Afraid wrote:I have a "cool coat" that I put on Thurston when it gets hot. It completely saves the day.

I also used to have a cooling bandana for Hoover. I don't remember now where I got it but it definitely helped. Or, just take a page from Sarina's book on pug care and use a banana! :)

Here's one http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=18850
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 4/25/2009, 12:50 pm

That coat looks neat, I bought one from Cocojor awhile back, it was a fortune and when it was cooled down it weighed her down so much, it defeated the purpose.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 4/25/2009, 2:28 pm

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=918&ParentCat=152

This is the cool coat I have. It is very light weight. I bring a spray bottle with me and spray it down when it dries out.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down