Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wrinkle care

+3
GracieNEmma
ayleash
Snifter&Toddy
7 posters

Go down

wrinkle care Empty wrinkle care

Post  Guest 11/12/2009, 12:32 am

how many different ways are there to care and clean wrinkles?

i read in a book to put some preoxide on a Q-tip and go in the crease of where the wrinkle is and itll take out any bacteria and help heal the soreness....but make sure you dont touch the eye

any others?

Back to top Go down

wrinkle care Empty Re: wrinkle care

Post  Snifter&Toddy 11/12/2009, 7:24 am

If a wrinkle has got sore then a vet visit is in order.

I personally would not put a Q tip anywhere near a wrinkle - too much danger of poking the eye if the pug moves.

I swipe the wrinkle with a dry kleenex. You can use unscented baby wipes but I think you should follow that with something dry as moisture could cause an infection in a pug with a heavy nose roll.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 11/12/2009, 7:54 am

I use the noxema pre-moistened pads... on my own wrinkles. LOL (I could not resist)...

I use dry kleenex on the pugs'...
ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/12/2009, 10:25 am

i used to use baby wipes now i just use soft kleenex that slightly moist for remove any dirt debris, and followed wit a dry kleenex.....i didnt mean that honeys wrinkles were sore im just saying in general.......and the q-tip thing that i read bout i got it from a pug magazine it said to do it to get out any dirt and debris and dirt has been coming out that a kleenex doesnt pick up.....honey doesnt mind the q-tip if i tell her not to move she doesnt move and that gives me a change to do it.....

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma 11/12/2009, 11:08 am

Gracie has a thick wrinkle. Emma's doesn't hardly ever need cleaned because hers never gets dirty. Anyway, Gracie has had issues with her wrinkle. If it just needs a cleaning, I use an unscented babywipe to clean it and then dry it with tissue. If there is gunk in there, I have these medicated wipes (used to use Malaseb but it's a different brand now). Occasionally she gets an infection in there so we have some meds for that but we don't use that often unless it's really necessary.
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 11/12/2009, 12:21 pm

I use baby wipes (non-alcohol) for the most part. In the summer I use Malaseb pledgets (which are not available at this time). I also use Neo-predf powder on a regular basis. My pugs have very deep nose rolls and being in a warm climate I must keep them clean!
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  TxAllieGrl 11/12/2009, 12:44 pm

BDazzpugs wrote:I use baby wipes (non-alcohol) for the most part. In the summer I use Malaseb pledgets (which are not available at this time). I also use Neo-predf powder on a regular basis. My pugs have very deep nose rolls and being in a warm climate I must keep them clean!

Seriously. You can park a truck in Dre's nose roll. It gets a daily cleaning with the baby wipe, and then some powder to dry it out (applied carefully, with a Qtip - luckily she will hold fairly still so I'm not worried about jabbing her in the eye). She likes to dig in the dirt...so we try to keep it as clean as possible.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/12/2009, 3:46 pm

Ive used q-tips and peroxide, but the baby wipes seem to be gentle and softer on them. no fun when they get infected!

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma 11/12/2009, 4:11 pm

BDazzpugs wrote:I also use Neo-predf powder on a regular basis. My pugs have very deep nose rolls and being in a warm climate I must keep them clean!

I've never heard of the powder before but I vaguely remember you mentioning it before. This may sound like a dumb question but is it just like baby powder? And if so, do you just kind of sprinkle it in to their wrinkle? I can see where a powder of some sort would help with all the moisture in there. Especially, like you said, here in the FL climate.
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 11/12/2009, 5:10 pm

GracieNEmma wrote:
BDazzpugs wrote:I also use Neo-predf powder on a regular basis. My pugs have very deep nose rolls and being in a warm climate I must keep them clean!

I've never heard of the powder before but I vaguely remember you mentioning it before. This may sound like a dumb question but is it just like baby powder? And if so, do you just kind of sprinkle it in to their wrinkle? I can see where a powder of some sort would help with all the moisture in there. Especially, like you said, here in the FL climate.

Neo-Predef powder is a prescription powder that contains prednisone. There have been occassions where my pugs rolls get kind of "puffy" or red from the heat & moisture. Their rolls go about an inch deep and it is just nasty. Allie's analogy that you can park a truck in them is not far off. You can get the powder from your vet and it generally runs about $22-25. YOu can buy it online, but after shipping and the hassle of having your vet do a script it is not worth it! Here is more information on the powder...

http://www.pnuanimalhealth.com/product_overview.aspx?drug=NT&country=US&lang=EN&species=CN
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 11/12/2009, 5:19 pm

Peroxide is pretty harsh and could be downright painful, I would think. Hazel has no nose fold to speak of, but Tank has a deep one. I use the MalaCetic wipes from the vet if there is an infection and if it's really bad there is a brand of those wipes with some steroid in them (likely pred). I wouldn't use a Q-tip--partly because MY hands are shakey and between the wiggling pug and my shakey hands, a poked eye would be a given.

I keep Tank's fold clean with a soft baby washcloth just damp and then dry it with a kleenex. I have on occasion used polysporin, spread very thinly, in the fold. I probably clean his fold twice a week, more in the summer when it's hotter.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 11/12/2009, 6:09 pm

We use 50/50 vinegar & water for rolls and ears also the neo-predef if needed for an inflamed roll. We use the neo for hot spots as well.

Jerry has a senior boy "Jerry" yep same name who has to have his wrinkle cleaned daily and I mean little chunks come out daily I've never seen anything like it. He was really inflamed when he first came in. I just use a cotton ball dipped in the 50/50 mixture and then dry with cotton ball.
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/12/2009, 7:49 pm

wouldnt the vinigar burn? and that powder is a really good idea to dry them out....i HEARD that when pugs sweat..the sweat comes out of the wrinkles..idk how true that is or not but it kinda makes sense to me at least does any one if that a fact or not????

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 11/12/2009, 7:53 pm

honey612 wrote:wouldnt the vinigar burn? and that powder is a really good idea to dry them out....i HEARD that when pugs sweat..the sweat comes out of the wrinkles..idk how true that is or not but it kinda makes sense to me at least does any one if that a fact or not????

No not at all. It's a 50/50 mixture of vinegar & water. Actually our rescue vet is the one who recommended we use it. It's a more holistic approach and actually the vinegar keeps the yeast and proteins from building in their ears he was trying to save the rescue $$ from buying the ear washes, etc.. The Pugs we have come in with yeastie rolls it really does a nice job of clearing them up and it's awesome for the ears.
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 11/12/2009, 7:59 pm

Lilos Mom wrote:
honey612 wrote:wouldnt the vinigar burn? and that powder is a really good idea to dry them out....i HEARD that when pugs sweat..the sweat comes out of the wrinkles..idk how true that is or not but it kinda makes sense to me at least does any one if that a fact or not????

No not at all. It's a 50/50 mixture of vinegar & water. Actually our rescue vet is the one who recommended we use it. It's a more holistic approach and actually the vinegar keeps the yeast and proteins from building in their ears he was trying to save the rescue $$ from buying the ear washes, etc.. The Pugs we have come in with yeastie rolls it really does a nice job of clearing them up and it's awesome for the ears.
That's a good idea. I use the Blue Power Solution for ears and folds as well. It's somewhat more powerful than vinegar and water, but that is a dandy idea for routine maintenance with the Tankenheimer.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 11/12/2009, 8:19 pm

northernwitch wrote:
Lilos Mom wrote:

That's a good idea. I use the Blue Power Solution for ears and folds as well. It's somewhat more powerful than vinegar and water, but that is a dandy idea for routine maintenance with the Tankenheimer.

I'm telling you Blanche it's awesome!! My Midnight came in with both her ears completely closed I'd never seen anything like it. Our vet put her on steroids and told me if we could'nt get those canals open he'd have to possibly remove her ear insides she was deaf as it was but it would have been permanent. I used my mix every single day for approx 2 weeks and with the steroids a grain fee diet and the mixture they opened and she can hear like nobodies business now. And lets face it, it's cheap and with the amount of Pugs coming into rescue heck squirt bottles and vinegar are cheap!
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 11/12/2009, 8:22 pm

It's why I use the Blue Power Solution--I can make it myself--lasts forever and other than the staining factor with the gentian violet, it's great. I'm careful with it with really inflamed ears as it does have witch hazel, but it is dynamite on yeasties.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/12/2009, 9:37 pm

hmmmm ill remember that (note to self)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/12/2009, 9:42 pm

how can you tell if there is an infection in the wrinkles?

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 11/12/2009, 9:59 pm

honey612 wrote:how can you tell if there is an infection in the wrinkles?
It's usually pretty obvious--the fold will look infected--red, maybe oozy or smelly, will be itchy and raw looking.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/13/2009, 12:02 am

if a pug did have an infection how would you get rid of it? that powder stuff? or the 50/50 mixture?

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 11/13/2009, 6:55 am

If a pug had an infection I would be taking veterinary advice as to what to do. The powder Sarina referred to is prescription only if I read her post right. So one would have to get it from a vet anyway.

Prevention is better than cure, obviously, and the wrinkle cleaning ideas on here are good. But unless one already has first hand experience of home treatment, the vet has to be the first port of call for any kind of infection, in my view.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down