Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great article about Vaccinations

+3
Pugsaunt
Amanda
Not Afraid
7 posters

Go down

Great article about Vaccinations Empty Great article about Vaccinations

Post  Not Afraid 3/31/2010, 11:31 am

I've been reading more and more of information published by Dr. Karen Becker. Here's a great article about vaccinations.

Pet Vaccinations
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Great article about Vaccinations Empty Re: Great article about Vaccinations

Post  Amanda 3/31/2010, 11:53 am

Nice, concise article. I do not vaccinate beyond the "puppy shots" except for the 3-year rabies. I'm curious how many just stop vaccinating all together after the initial puppy shots and how many do titers and then do boosters if needed?
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 3/31/2010, 7:20 pm

Ms. Thang's last vaccination was in Sept 2006 in Ohio. The dogtor gave her a 3 year rabies vaccine and another all-in-one vaccination. I was truly pissed when I found out, as I didn't want her to get an all-in-one. She hasn't had a vaccination since. I had a rabies titer drawn three years ago, and I forget what the numbers were, but it was so high that she couldn't get rabies if she swam in a vat of the virus. Her current dogtor agrees with me that she doesn't need vaccines at her age and given that she doesn't associate with many other dogs. Washoe County, NV, will waive the rabies vaccine requirement if you have a letter from a dogtor, which we have and I have never had any problem with her license.

BTW, great article, Lisa.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 3/31/2010, 7:38 pm

I'm one who stops vaccinations entirely. Although Moose gets them, including rabies, because of his classes.

I almost lost both Thelma & Louisie (in different years) due to vaccinations, so I hate taking the chance.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 3/31/2010, 7:46 pm

Now that everyone is over 5 years old, I've stopped everything except for rabies, which is mandated to keep them licensed with the city. Have never run titers, either. They are mostly indoor dogs now except for our regular walks or trips to the park or beach.

Only downside is that we can no longer take them to doggie daycare or boarding because we don't have the "proper vaccinations" so we're lucky that Shelly's niece loves them and can stay over when we are gone.

Thanks for posting the article, Lisa!
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/2/2010, 3:39 pm

Good article. I too stopped with everything after the puppy shots except rabies. That one is necessary i think. thanks for posting this up!

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 4/2/2010, 4:03 pm

Great article! I think more and more vets are coming on board with the protocols.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 4/2/2010, 11:14 pm

I posted this as a link on Facebook as well and got a link back slamming this doctor and his beliefs. In all fairness, I feel like I need to post that here as well.

Skeptic rants about Dr. Mercola.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 4/3/2010, 6:22 pm

Nope, none here at the pug retirement home either, with my vet's concurrence. We at Pugalug Rescue are so paranoid about vaccines, that we stipulate in the adoption contract that they must not be given the rabies vax more frequently than 3 years (okay in our province). Then in the "congratulations" letter, I reinforce this and ask them not to vaccinate for diseases at which the pug is not at risk. We also stipulate that vaccinations must be separated by at least 3 weeks and at least 3 weeks on either side of surgery. The reason for this waiting is not only to minimize the risk of reaction and assault on the immune system, but if you vaccinate a dog when its immune system is weak, there's a good chance the body won't be able to generate the antibodies needed to fight the disease - i.e. high risk for no benefit. And never to vaccinate a dog that is not in good health (as it says on the vax labels!).

Did you know that, according to one 2-year study published in 2005 in the Journal of American Veterinary Medical Association (https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=119106981159&topic=10205), after dachshunds, pugs as a breed are at highest risk of negative vaccine reaction. The study also concluded that "Young adult small-breed neutered dogs that received multiple vaccines per office visit were at greatest risk of a VAAE within 72 hours after vaccination."
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 4/3/2010, 6:32 pm

pugpillow wrote:Did you know that, according to one 2-year study published in 2005 in the Journal of American Veterinary Medical Association (https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=119106981159&topic=10205), after dachshunds, pugs as a breed are at highest risk of negative vaccine reaction. The study also concluded that "Young adult small-breed neutered dogs that received multiple vaccines per office visit were at greatest risk of a VAAE within 72 hours after vaccination."
Somehow, that does not surprise me. As to the Dr. Mercola rant, I see a huge difference between vaccinating humans and vaccinating Penny (and other pugs). Kids are not raised in isolation. They go to school, they go to playgrounds, they are out and about with other children, and a measles epidemic, for example, is devastating. I'm convinced that there is not a link between autism and vaccinations in humans, but there is a link in pugs between vaccinations and reactions. Vaccines are necessary in humans, but not in pugs.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  pugpillow 4/3/2010, 6:35 pm

I am in favour of puppy shots, the first rabies shot and a booster, as long as they are administered at the right times and with sufficient intervals. But I think there is a HUGE issue of overvaccination.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 4/3/2010, 6:56 pm

pugpillow wrote:I am in favour of puppy shots, the first rabies shot and a booster, as long as they are administered at the right times and with sufficient intervals. But I think there is a HUGE issue of overvaccination.
I agree, Hilary. My rant was directed at repeated and unnecessary vaccinations. Sorry for not making myself clear.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down