Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ewwwww . . . fleas!

+5
Not Afraid
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
MackandMattiesMom
northernwitch
smoochieface
9 posters

Go down

ewwwww . . . fleas! Empty ewwwww . . . fleas!

Post  smoochieface 7/27/2010, 2:12 pm

So the pugs are flea-free but our housekeeper says she found fleas in our couch. I'm getting the couches cleaned ASAP but other than that, does anyone have any suggestions for how to control this in the future? This is the first time we've experienced this problem but I'm sure it's mostly my fault. I've been bad about remembering to give the pugs their Frontline and we're at the height of summer now.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

ewwwww . . . fleas! Empty Re: ewwwww . . . fleas!

Post  northernwitch 7/27/2010, 2:16 pm

Somewhere Joanne posted about having fleas--or maybe it was pugmom? You are going to have to treat the furniture, the house, the rugs, etc.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 7/27/2010, 2:19 pm

northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 7/27/2010, 2:19 pm

Sprinkle Borax under the cushions, on rugs, carpet, etc and let it sit for a couple hours or overnight if possible and vaccum it up. It works like a charm. My mom bought a foreclosed home many years ago that was infested and Borax killed them quickly.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 7/27/2010, 2:22 pm

I've heard the Borax thing too. I bought a box of it-it's by the laundry detergent at Target.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 7/27/2010, 2:57 pm

Thanks so much, guys! So I'll pick up some Borax at Target.

So my next question. I'm having a pro come out to professionally clean the carpet and couches on Saturday morning. I want to start treating with Borax ahead of time so that stuff starts to die off and anything I miss with my vaccuum will get sucked away by the pros.

So when should I start? Do you think I should sprinkle with Borax and vaccuum everynight for the next three nights? Just two nights? Just Friday night?

Luckily, I have a bagless and can fully clean out the plastic canister with every vaccuum.

I'll take any and all suggestions. I'm totally creeped out. Thanks!
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 7/27/2010, 3:14 pm

Borax is great and it works on termites too! The cute little kitten was a flea bag and, although she had a flea bath, she couldn't get Revolution until now.

Being around animals all of the time, I think I am just as much of a flea bag as the kitten. Do they make Revolution for humans? ewwwww . . . fleas! Icon_biggrin
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Dboardman 7/27/2010, 3:15 pm

I would recommend picking up a IGR from either a local or internet DIY pest control store. They are usually pretty cheap and will take care of fleas easy. Gentrol is the name brand version. It is not an insecticide/pesticide so it shouldn't bother your pugs. I know I spray it every 2-3 months and it has not bothered mine.
Dboardman
Dboardman

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 7/27/2010, 3:25 pm

If you haven't noticed an infestation then just one or two doses of Borax should be fine. I'd go ahead and do it as soon as you can so they don't multiply.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 7/27/2010, 4:28 pm

You might want to check with the people who are doing your carpet/upholstry cleaning too. 1. They may have something for flea control. 2. If you use Borax, you want to make sure it won't react with their chemicals they are going to be using.

I used Urine Gone or something like that on my rugs and it had a reaction with the chemicals from the professional carpet cleaners. As in, huge white spots that ruined the rugs.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 7/27/2010, 7:36 pm

Kendie,

You may also want to consider giving Sentinel to your pugs for their heartworm meds. It does not kill adult fleas, but it will keep fleas from reproducing. It also controls against hookworm, roundworms and whipworms in addition to the heartworms
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  thminis 8/5/2010, 9:08 pm

I know this is a few days later so I hope your problem is all solved! Not to creep you out, but fleas like (human) beds just like they do couches... I think pet stores sell bug bombs for houses. You have to have everyone leave 6-8 hours, I think, but if the problem ever gets that bad it's an option. Also, the way we check for fleas at the vet's is flea dirt on the dog. They make little combs with very small teeth that you can comb through the dog and then check the fur on the comb for little black specks. I know some people say they can see the fleas jumping off when it's bath time.
thminis
thminis

Number of posts : 1139

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down