Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fleas?

+5
DeeAnn
BDazzpugs
Pugsaunt
Imon
Newsie96
9 posters

Go down

Fleas? Empty Fleas?

Post  Newsie96 8/28/2009, 8:26 am

I put Frontline on all the furkids (including the two cats) three weeks ago and the boys are super itchy this week. I found a flea on Murphy and some flea dirt on Max last night. Maybe the Frontline isn't strong enough or has worn off already? It's so frustrating!
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Fleas? Empty Re: Fleas?

Post  Imon 8/28/2009, 9:30 am

I thought that Frontline isn't a repellent, but that it causes the fleas to die after they bite the dog. I know our vet told me I might see the occasional flea on Otto after he'd been out in the grass, but that they wouldn't last very long. Of course, we're not on Frontline, so they could bite US and not die.......

Hope you don't find many more of them - they can be such a nuisance.
Imon
Imon

Number of posts : 1898

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 8/28/2009, 9:39 am

I called the vet and the receptionist told me I was seeing the next cycle of fleas. Basically they are eggs that have hatched? Gross! So I have a message in with the vet about Capster. I can't have Murphy and Duke suffering!

Also, Murphy has a spot on the front of his chest where his harness has rubbed. I've been keeping his harness off all the time, unless he's out on a walk. It's looking better, but I feel bad that he's got the sore to begin with.

I think tomorrow night when we're home I may give both boths a medicated bath and give him some TLC.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 8/28/2009, 8:45 pm

I got a call back from the vet. I have to bring Murphy in for a steroid shot tomorrow. It seems my boy is allergic to the fleas! Ugg! My poor smoosh.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 8/28/2009, 10:21 pm

Poor baby! Give Mr. Smoosh a big hug from Auntie Nancy. hug dog Penny got a Frontline before we left, and it held her until we got out of flea country. Hallelujah.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 8/28/2009, 11:19 pm

Frontline stopped working for us back in the spring. We switched to Advantix, per my vet suggestion. We have had a bad tick problem here in Florida this year too. SO far 6 months old it and I have not found nothing. Being in FL. that just does not happen.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  DeeAnn 8/29/2009, 10:24 am

BDazzpugs wrote:Frontline stopped working for us back in the spring. We switched to Advantix, per my vet suggestion. We have had a bad tick problem here in Florida this year too. SO far 6 months old it and I have not found nothing. Being in FL. that just does not happen.

Sarina do you recomed then Advantix better than frontline.We have fleas bad.They all had there frontline 2 weeks ago and are just not doing well anymore with it.I have not seen any fleas but Lola is black so its hard to see them....
DeeAnn
DeeAnn

Number of posts : 991

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 8/29/2009, 1:47 pm

Murphy got a shot of steroids and the vet showed me how to put the Frontline on. Apparently I was doing it wrong. I also got a dose of Capstar for all the furkids. I have to figure out how the heck I'm going to the cats.
Much to their dismay, both boys also got their nails cut. Duke was so upaet he pooped on the table. Sigh.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 8/29/2009, 2:28 pm

There's a wrong way to put Frontline on? I may need a lesson!
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 8/29/2009, 6:33 pm

My vet suggested to put it in three places along the back and it's more effective.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 8/29/2009, 6:48 pm

Is there is difference in Frontline and Frontline Plus? I periodically put Frontline Plus on mine (mostly during the summer months). They are on Sentinal year round.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  lola's mom 8/31/2009, 7:07 am

We use Frontline plus and I found a flea on Logan. First time ever! I was in a panic and called the Vet. I never thought about how it actually worked, but the flea has to bite then it dies. It was a week before they were due for their next dose. I am wondering if it's not as strong as it was before. I didn't see any flea dirt and "knock on wood" have not seen another flea.
lola's mom
lola's mom

Number of posts : 785

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 8/31/2009, 8:27 am

DeeAnn: I really like Advantix and have not seen a flea or anything else in several months. Back in March my vet was seeing a huge tick problem in many of his dogs coming in, and so were we in rescue. I used frontline plus for SO long that I think the dogs just got immune to it or the fleas did.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 8/31/2009, 1:34 pm

I use Revolution because it protects from heartworm as well. I gave both the pugs their dose on Sunday. Kimchi was a couple of days overdue and had only had Advantage previously. She was on my lap on Sunday and I had fleas all over me when she left.

On went the Revolution and the fleas are gone.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down