Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Article about Increase of Heartworm

+2
akc0104
Not Afraid
6 posters

Go down

Article about Increase of Heartworm Empty Article about Increase of Heartworm

Post  Not Afraid 6/21/2011, 11:48 am

Dr, Karen Beck - who is quoted in my signature - had an article about the increase of heartworm due resistance to preventative meds. A lot of people find Dr. Beck (and Mercola) controversial in their holistic approach. Whatever your feelings, it is worth reading.

Article here.

There's also a new article on rabies vaccinations under "articles" I haven't read it yet so I can't tell you if it is informative.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Article about Increase of Heartworm Empty Re: Article about Increase of Heartworm

Post  akc0104 6/21/2011, 2:12 pm

I ran into the vet to pick up some cat food last week and they have a preserved heart on display, with heartworms. While we chatted, I was FYIed that they have seen that the preventatives are not working in all cases.
They also keep a map on the wall of our town and mark with a pin the location of each dog that has tested positive for heartworms. It's a telling graphic.
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Article about Increase of Heartworm Empty Re: Article about Increase of Heartworm

Post  PugLady3 6/21/2011, 2:45 pm

Thanks for the link! I had heard recently about the Heartgard Plus lawsuit and then someone also posted on one of my email lists that their vet had told them that Interceptor wasn't as effective now either. Not good. Article about Increase of Heartworm 9386
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 6/21/2011, 3:58 pm

I must do some research and find out what's happening in Australia. Damn.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 6/21/2011, 6:05 pm

I use Revolution which contain selamectin for heartworm prevention. Although we are not in a high-mosquito area normally, I have seen (and experienced) an increase of mosquitos lately. I try and keep all standing water emptied, keep the fountains flowing, the bird bath empty, and empty out containers after rain or watering. But we are still near the (big, wild) LA River ( Very Happy ) which seems to have enough still areas (and enough water) to be a breeding ground.

Cats can get heartworm too. None of mine are outside and I don't give them Revolution all year long, but during warm months I dose everyone monthly.

BYW, I buy the huge dog size of Revolution, put it in a glass vial and dose it out the proper amount via syring. One huge dog package costs the same as the other doses and I can dose my entire crew with 1 1/2 tubes. Saves me BIG bucks!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Puggered 6/22/2011, 7:58 am

I am in a low-risk area for heartworm but do travel to high risk areas for shows etc.

I use a compound, which includes milbemycin oxcine against heartworm microfilae, but I don't dose as often as the manufacturer advises (they advise monthly). I dose 6 weekly, and would probably do it at even longer intervals in the "off" season, except that I must dose 6 weekly with praziquantel against hydatid disease (am in a sheep grazing region), so I prefer to use a compound to minimise chemicals.

I have used the annual moxidectin injection on middle-sized and large fosters, but even though they meter the dosage by weight, I still think it is too much chemical at once for a toy size dog, let alone doing the same day as vaccinations! Laughing

It is sometimes hard to keep on top of the changes, new studies etc. I am so glad for PA peeps who post these studies!!
Puggered
Puggered

Number of posts : 1517

Back to top Go down

Post  Milosmom 6/22/2011, 10:24 pm

This hits home to me more today than any other. :(

When I spoke with the vet today about Mickey, he said he's the 3rd + case this week for just him (there are 2 other vets on staff there).
I use Interceptor for the boys and now worry that it isn't good enough but then again ,every study that goes by - this , that and the other has problems to) Article about Increase of Heartworm 9386 .
Milosmom
Milosmom

Number of posts : 1178

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down