Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watery Eyes and Tear Stains

+2
papaspugs
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
6 posters

Go down

Watery Eyes and Tear Stains Empty Watery Eyes and Tear Stains

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 7/8/2009, 3:10 pm

Recently Tyson has had really watery eyes, also causing tear stains.
In the crease on one side right under his eye it even looks like the skin is a little raw-I have a gel from the vet that I put in the fold.
Are there ideas as to what causes watery eyes, other than outdoor irritants?
Does anyone administer eye drops even without a "medical need" like PK, or use special wipes to help with tear stains?
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Watery Eyes and Tear Stains Empty Re: Watery Eyes and Tear Stains

Post  papaspugs 7/8/2009, 10:11 pm

I am interested in what everyone else has to say about this too. I think that we've talked about stains before.

Baby Girl has just recently developed horrible tear stains under her left eye, under her chin, and on her left paw (where she licks all the time). The stains weren't there in the beginning of May and now they look horrible!

I have 8-in-1 Tear Clear Stain Remover pads. I have no idea where I got them; they were just in my stash of pug stuff. It says for really bad stains to use 3xday, but I have only been able to manage 1xday. You can actually see brown on the pads after wiping her down each night. They have gotten better in just a couple of days though.

Baby Girl gets Taco in both eyes, so I don't know why only one eye has the stains.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 7/8/2009, 10:39 pm

Genie has really bad watery eyes and tear stains and every once in a while will get the raw wrinkles from it. I don't know anything that helps though :( We usually use benadryl when it gets worse than usual.
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 7/9/2009, 10:52 am

Amber wrote:Genie has really bad watery eyes and tear stains and every once in a while will get the raw wrinkles from it. I don't know anything that helps though :( We usually use benadryl when it gets worse than usual.

That is what happens here! When Hooli's eyes water, he gets stains and gunky wrinkles. We also give him a benadryl and then clean his eyes a few times a day.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mother Hubbard 7/9/2009, 3:34 pm

With Nelson I think the pink dye in the Benadryl was causing the stains to get worse. We switched over to filtered water and use the Drs Fosters and Smith tear stain pads . They do look better.
Old Mother Hubbard
Old Mother Hubbard

Number of posts : 257

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 7/9/2009, 3:56 pm

Becky,

You can safely use something like Genteal for humans in the pug's eyes. Even though Taz had good tear production, the eye doctor told me to go ahead and start using it once a day. Plus, once in a while when they would get something in their eye like a piece of grass or something, I could use it to flush out the debris. The other two needed Tacrolimus since they had mild pk

I know that for a while, Chyna was having lots of tears that would stain our sheets. Her problem resolved when I switched her food. Another friend of mine starting having tear stain problems when her pug started on cyclosporine so who knows.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down