Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To all the foster moms

+10
SacramentoPugs
Maryjo
Renee
PugLady3
H the P
Milosmom
PugMomto3
Not Afraid
northernwitch
Newsie96
14 posters

Go down

To all the foster moms Empty To all the foster moms

Post  Newsie96 11/29/2011, 10:01 pm

I recently took in a blind deaf pug just because I couldn't stand to think of him spending his seven-day "holding period" in the cold pound. Everyone kept saying I was an angel or a saint.

I've never done rescue because I think I'm an angel and I am FAR from a saint. I do it because I love pugs (and I have done other breeds) and frankly, I'm a big fat sucker. Henry was dirty and scared and well, a pug. How could I leave him?

What makes you take on pugs of every shape and size in? (Besides those brown eyes that look at you and pull at your heart strings?)

P.S. God bless everyone involved in rescue. Whether you foster, transport, donate, or even attend a pugfest, you're all heros in my book.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

To all the foster moms Empty Re: To all the foster moms

Post  northernwitch 11/29/2011, 10:22 pm

Well, I take in dogs--pugs or not. I just like dogs and I think they mostly get a rotten deal. So I open my home to them when I can for fostering.

I'm not a saint either, but I am good with dogs and their various issues. And I get back as much or more than I put in. Sometimes it's heart breaking and sometimes it's rejuvenating--but it's always worth it and every dog teaches me something.

Given that I don't want to become a hoarder, this is the ideal way for me to have a variety of breeds and dogs without getting into the weird range.

I love fostering for the most part. I love seeing a dog blossom and overcome any/all the issues they come into rescue with.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 11/30/2011, 1:56 am

I foster more cats than dogs, but I do it because cats are seen as independent, aloof and can fend for themselves. The reality is that the average life of a feral cat is 2 years. If you get a kitten young enough, they don't end up feral and can be amazing cats. I look at my sweet Rupert who I pulled from a feral colony at 10 days old, bottle fed and hand raised into the most loving, wonderful cat and hope that all cats have the same chance. (Just not permanently in my house!)
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  PugMomto3 11/30/2011, 8:00 am

I feel pretty useless these days, don't belong to any rescue, kind of a rescue orphan at this point.

PPRA disbanded without any notice, not even a email, nothing. I did take a step back when I took my parents in, but that only meant I wasn't fostering or tansporting at that time (would transport or pull from a shelter in an emergency) but was still networking and donating, doing what I could from the computer or phone.

I am sad about this on so many levels, my heart is with rescue, fostering all of it. But my responsibities right now are caring for my Dad. He is getting worse. He doesn't make any sense at all. Its sad. He isn't my Dad anymore, but this sad litte old man that know one really knows. Before the stroke, my Dad was 20 years younger than his real age. Intellegent, fun. In one minute it was gone and we were left with a shell of his former self. I feel guilty whining because I can't participate in rescue or have any more pugs of my own at this point.

So I am a rescue orphan. I donate to all pug rescues now when I can. Hopefully someday I will have a "home" again.

You are all my hero's that do this all the time. Thank you for saving them.
PugMomto3
PugMomto3

Number of posts : 543

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 11/30/2011, 9:36 am

At this moment I am on a foster break because of my current living situation ie it's all me now all the time no more help.

I was scared to foster when I started but once I got into the groove of it I really loved it. To see a pug come into my life so full of fear and leave so full of joy would give me the best gift of all.

Most of the new parents have kept in touch with me to let me know how much they adore their new family member.

I am still volunteering at events and doing transports but right now I just can't handle the extra stress of fostering, once my life is back to normal I will continue doing it.

As hard and stressful as it can be it's 10x's more rewarding.

Back to top Go down

Post  Milosmom 11/30/2011, 11:32 am

I just started fostering this year and jumped into it both feet first with sick little Mickey. He has traveled the road to recovery as much as possible but has pretty significant heart damage from the HWs and still coughs something terrible from time to time but he's a love and very happy. Not yet announced but yes, he is a failure (my DH more than me this time, Drago was my fault...lol) To all the foster moms 6260 Very Happy , though not yet formally adopted. He came along shortly after the loss of my DHs father and in so many ways has helped him through the grief. I hadn't planned to keep him at all but hearing Hubs say "I couldn't help my Dad but I can cure Mickey" , I knew we were sunk and couldn't say no. Well over $1000.00 and many tears later, he's here to stay. It balances out though as that now gives us 2 each Laughing .

Tanker leaves tomorrow morning to his new Mom/Dad and that'll leave Sissie here. She's a tiny little sassy spitfire that is timid yet bossy so someone who likes to get up before the sun with a lot of patience is going to have to adopt her or else she'll remain here torturing me at ungodly hours for the long haul (no,I'm not a morning person but I'm learning quickly).

Lord knows I'm no saint and certainly no angel but why do I do it?? Aside from the eyes staring saying "don't leave me here", I feel that if I can make their life better even for a short time , then they deserve that .... and ... I'd like to think that if GOD forbid , I ever for any reason got to sick or some other horrendous circumstance led any of my kids into that situation , that someone would feel the same as I do and come save them , giving them the love and life I no longer could.

I know this is getting long but I will tell you how I came to feel this way. I learned from the vets office who cared for them back in the beginning that Mickey , Sissie and the little black girl that came in with them were all owned by an elderly lady in her 70s. Her husband had a stroke so in trying to care for him , she couldn't manage and gave the pugs to what she thought was a nice caring lady last year only to find out that lady let them get the mange so bad none of them had a stitch of hair on them ,underfed all of them ,not to mention the lack of HW preventative before she was able to get them back and bring them to the vet in January of this year. The vet tech told me she brought all 3 in and told Dr Bev, "I don't care what the cost, just help them."

That broke my heart in realizing that little ol lady had done the best she could and it still went bad. I'd never ever want to be in that position but in reality, any of us could at some point in time.

The tech couldn't believe the difference in Micks when I showed her his pic. I told her to be sure and tell that lady the next time she comes in with her cat that her babies are OK and in good loving hands. I hope on hope that gives her some peace as I was told her Husband passed on a month or so ago from the complications of the stroke.
Milosmom
Milosmom

Number of posts : 1178

Back to top Go down

Post  H the P 11/30/2011, 11:45 am

Newsie96 wrote: Henry was dirty and scared and well, a pug. How could I leave him?
You couldn't. Few of us here could, or would. Heartfelt thanks to you for saving him.

H the P

Number of posts : 1241

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 11/30/2011, 11:55 am

PugMomto3 wrote:So I am a rescue orphan. I donate to all pug rescues now when I can. Hopefully someday I will have a "home" again.

No matter what you do, big or small, whether it's donating money or time, is still supporting rescue & that's huge in my book! We all do what we can when we can and that's what keeps rescue going. To all the foster moms 27965

I'm a horrible foster mom...I wind up keeping most of my fosters! Laughing But I also do many other things (website, answering emails, attending events, home visits, etc.) so I figure it all kind of balances itself out! Wink
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 11/30/2011, 3:33 pm

I didn't consciously mean to get into rescue. I adopted a rescue pug back in 2006, and for about 2 years, never really thought about rescue any more. Of course, all my pugs were two and three years old.. not sure I could have taken on anymore!

Then, I started making donations to rescue. After so many donations, the president of pug rescue up here, called and invited me to a board meeting. It all went from there. I started fostering. I still remember my first foster, Bucky. He was such a good boy! I never had a foster failure (knock on wood), but I have loved them all. Eventually, I got even more involved in rescue, and became an adoption coordinator and the treasurer. So, now I foster, transport, run our FB page, answer calls & emails, do owner surrenders, home checks, interviews and placements, plus all the treasurer stuff.

I foster because it allows me to enjoy having more dogs, without actually having more. I like helping each dog through their transition. I have fostered a good variety of pugs, but my favorites are the elderly boys. They just melt my heart. I do love them.

My kids, especially my daughter, have been so influenced by rescue, in so many good ways. I know my daughter will be an advocate for rescue one day. That right there makes me proud!

It does get tiring though. I have not been without a foster for more than a few weeks in years now. In fact, I need a break from my current foster - so he's going to take a vacation over at MaryJo's, haha.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 11/30/2011, 5:46 pm

It does get tiring though. I have not been without a foster for more than a few weeks in years now. In fact, I need a break from my current foster - so he's going to take a vacation over at MaryJo's, haha.
He'll have a blast at 'Camp Fat Pugs of Alaska'... To all the foster moms 977583
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 11/30/2011, 6:01 pm

Maryjo wrote:
He'll have a blast at 'Camp Fat Pugs of Alaska'... To all the foster moms 977583

No doubt he will be in heaven, sleeping on your bed, cuddling with your pug-pack! I just sent you an email about him. Thanks!!
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 11/30/2011, 8:12 pm

I've worked in animal sheltering for the last 14 years or so, so I'm faced daily by the reality that far too many animals in our society endure -- neglect, indifference, hunger, abandonment, etc. It's impossible to not be affected by it. I work in education, but it's hard to quantify what I do; I can't say that X number of children were kinder to animals this year because they saw one of my presentations or attended our day camp program, or that the community spayed and neutered X percent more animals as a direct result of what I do. Fostering is a hands-on way that I can make a difference, even if it's small -- but for that one animal, it can be a big thing, I guess.

I don't just foster pugs; any small dog in need is a possibility (I adore big dogs but I'm just not a big-dog person, if that makes sense). One of my favorite fosters in the last couple years was a hugely obese Chihuahua from a hoarding case, and I also adored the Shih-Tzu I fostered earlier this year. And naturally I fall in love with all the pugs. Very Happy
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 11/30/2011, 9:18 pm

I've been involved with Pug rescue now for well over 10 years. I've had a foster in my home and in many cases several for 10 years now. I've got Bob & Bill a pair of strays that came in together and just got our newest Betsy who's 8, cute as a button and has a host of eye issues now that we're working on and was a stray rescued out of a shelter. Most of the pugs I foster leave in my arms when it's time. I have the Seniors, Special Needs, the ones that are in rescue a long time. I'm so grateful for the wonderful foster homes we have. We could'nt do what we do without them!!

I can honestly say I'm really really tired and want a break from fostering but I'm not seeing it anytime soon. I do it because they need me. I do all the adoptions as well so I choose their homes and what familes I feel are best suited for which rescue pug. I love and spend time with every pug that comes through our rescue doors. Rescue work is very rewarding in so many ways but in other ways not so much.

I remember the days when a sad case would come in and I would just cry and be so angry inside. I don't cry anymore. it's more of a ok what do we have to do to get you feeling better attitude now.
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Post  ForeverHopper 12/4/2011, 9:57 am

I'm with you on this one. My FIL had a stroke the day before father's day this year and so far has left him unable to use his right side or make any sense when speaks. The inlaws (ex and daughter) has been a nightmare which leaves his son and me to do the bulk of it. I've obtained a POA to prevent the vultures from using all his money which he needs for his care. Between working 45 hours a week, caring for my 7 pugs, 1 foster, being on the rescue board, house maint. handling my FIL's affairs, helping with his care and of course the husband, I have no time. I havent seen my family in a few months. Being one of the founding member of the rescue, it broke my heart immensely as I put a notice to the board that it will be my last term as a board member and treasurer. I'll continue to foster as I know the shortage on foster homes and squeeze in what I can with rescue but that's it. Something had to give as I am on the verge of a mental breakdown and complete physical exhaustion. Just handling the vultures (MIL and SIL) alone is a FT job. My heart is with you on this.

PugMomto3 wrote:I feel pretty useless these days, don't belong to any rescue, kind of a rescue orphan at this point.

PPRA disbanded without any notice, not even a email, nothing. I did take a step back when I took my parents in, but that only meant I wasn't fostering or tansporting at that time (would transport or pull from a shelter in an emergency) but was still networking and donating, doing what I could from the computer or phone.

I am sad about this on so many levels, my heart is with rescue, fostering all of it. But my responsibities right now are caring for my Dad. He is getting worse. He doesn't make any sense at all. Its sad. He isn't my Dad anymore, but this sad litte old man that know one really knows. Before the stroke, my Dad was 20 years younger than his real age. Intellegent, fun. In one minute it was gone and we were left with a shell of his former self. I feel guilty whining because I can't participate in rescue or have any more pugs of my own at this point.

So I am a rescue orphan. I donate to all pug rescues now when I can. Hopefully someday I will have a "home" again.

You are all my hero's that do this all the time. Thank you for saving them.
ForeverHopper
ForeverHopper

Number of posts : 301

http://www.centralfloridapugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  HK Pugs 12/10/2011, 1:15 pm

I don't want to simplify this but the fosters, pugs or not, give me more than
I can ever give them. Definitely not an angle or a saint, just someone who loves
dogs and cats and wants to see their tails wag or hear them purr.
To all the foster moms 335895
HK Pugs
HK Pugs

Number of posts : 1550

Back to top Go down

Post  monkeypigs4eva 12/17/2011, 10:57 pm

HK Pugs wrote:I don't want to simplify this but the fosters, pugs or not, give me more than
I can ever give them. Definitely not an angle or a saint, just someone who loves
dogs and cats and wants to see their tails wag or hear them purr.
To all the foster moms 335895

I agree with this. Have watched this thread and was interested to watch the replies.

I am no saint and no angel. Every time someone says it, I appreciate the sentiment but it isn't the case.

After Angus died, I knew no one could take his place. But fostering was something I always knew would happen because rescue has saved me in the past and I want to give back.

And I love dogs. Pugs in particular. And now I feel that I need to care for the special needs, the blind or deaf or whatever, because they need it more than the rest. I would want someone to care for me if I needed help. So I guess it is selfish in a way??
monkeypigs4eva
monkeypigs4eva

Number of posts : 1892

http://www.etsy.com/shop/monkeypigranch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down