Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Issues with Viv being aggressive toward me

+7
ocnside
TNPUGMOMOF3
pugasaurus
ayleash
Renee
Saira
Snifter&Toddy
11 posters

Go down

Issues with Viv being aggressive toward me Empty Issues with Viv being agressive towards me

Post  Guest 3/19/2012, 11:00 am

Viv has been agressive in the past with me when I have tried to take something of value away from her, then recently when I went to pick her up to bring her to bed but that turned out to be her not feeling well.

I've noticed her tail has been down a lot lately and I figured she was getting used to our new life, took her to the vet to make sure she was in good health and all is well, then this morning I was trying to get her to walk off the porch to the lawn to go pee and she turned on me, that was a first, now I just don't know what to do.

Any suggestions?

Back to top Go down

Issues with Viv being aggressive toward me Empty Re: Issues with Viv being aggressive toward me

Post  Snifter&Toddy 3/19/2012, 11:29 am

I would have suggested the vet but you have already done that.

What did she do when she turned on you? Growl? Lunge? Attempt to bite? Actually bite?

What do you do when she acts aggressive towards you?

(I realise these questions don't exactly help you, and I don't have any advice, but the answers may help others to give a more informed answer)

Snifter sometimes turns on me if I am doing anything to do with laundry, particularly outside. He goes mental when I put out the washing line, he tries to attack my laundy basket as I carry it out, and if I wear my peg apron he jumps up and bites it. I have found that (short of making sure he's not around when I do laundry) the only thing that stops him is if I stare straight at him, say something disapproving in a determined (but not angry way) and point my finger at him. Then he huffs around like a sulky teenager.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Issues with Viv being aggressive toward me Empty Re: Issues with Viv being aggressive toward me

Post  Saira 3/19/2012, 12:07 pm

Hmm. I know you said you had her checked out at the vet, but being aggressive with a tail down raises a red flag to me that she's not feeling well and something is hurting her. Could it be her back? Without x rays, etc, it may be hard to diagnose that. Or even perhaps arthritis setting in.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/19/2012, 12:22 pm

Snifter&Toddy wrote:I

What did she do when she turned on you? Growl? Lunge? Attempt to bite? Actually bite?

What do you do when she acts aggressive towards you?.

She will growl then attempt to bite.

Saira wrote:Hmm. I know you said you had her checked out at the vet, but being aggressive with a tail down raises a red flag to me that she's not feeling well and something is hurting her. Could it be her back? Without x rays, etc, it may be hard to diagnose that. Or even perhaps arthritis setting in.

She does not seem to be in pain when I pick her up, but my dog washes said she is a bit stiff so I put her on a glousamine (sp!) I thought the tail down was her adjusting to not having her dad around but by now she should be used to it.

I have to call the vet today anyway so I will ask if I should bring her in again.

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 3/19/2012, 12:26 pm

Saira wrote:Hmm. I know you said you had her checked out at the vet, but being aggressive with a tail down raises a red flag to me that she's not feeling well and something is hurting her. Could it be her back? Without x rays, etc, it may be hard to diagnose that. Or even perhaps arthritis setting in.

I was really thinking this too.

Possibly her back is bothering her, or could she have a UTI, which would cause pain. Is anything else off? It very well could be arthritis like Saira suggested, in which case glucosamine may not be strong enough to bring release. I use rimadyl for my Ichiro and tramadol for Kobe. Also, I know a lot of vets don't prescribe it - but, methacarbamol (sp?), has been a true life saver! It is a muscle relaxer, and it has really helped Ichiro and Kobe's muscle stiffness. They tend to have their muscles tight all the time from the stiffness and that creates muscle spasms.

I just want to add though, that my girl pug gets temperamental too. Sometimes, she just does not want to be bothered, and snaps to let people know to leave her alone. She is quite the loner, haha.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 3/19/2012, 12:33 pm

Donna wrote:
Snifter&Toddy wrote:I

What do you do when she acts aggressive towards you?.

She will growl then attempt to bite.

She does not seem to be in pain when I pick her up, but my dog washes said she is a bit stiff so I put her on a glousamine (sp!) I thought the tail down was her adjusting to not having her dad around but by now she should be used to it.

I have to call the vet today anyway so I will ask if I should bring her in again.

If it is arthritis or even back issues, Hooli's flare up big time with big weather changes-the wind and/or with a big drop in temperature seems to be the worst for him, so on those days I give him his pain pill. On other days, he's just fine. Just a thought.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 3/19/2012, 12:37 pm

oh dear.. .poor you .. poor viv - not feeling tip top... or just "had it" with stewie?

no real ideas here... I am sure you are proceeding with caution... it may be a pulled something that she can be "honest" about at home, but "covered up about" with the vet??
ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/19/2012, 1:26 pm

I just spoke with the vet, am going to bring her in for a few tests to see what's up.

I hate when she gets this way because normally she is a very sweet girl.

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 3/19/2012, 2:20 pm

Yup, my first thought would be that she's not feeling well, especially if walking from the porch to the grass involved any jumping down or exertion on her part. My Lacey is arthritic and she can't get on or off the bed anymore without me picking her up and she'll get snappy sometimes, especially in the morning when it's the coolest.

I'm glad you're taking her in for more testing at the vets'. I hope they can get to the bottom of it.
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/19/2012, 2:55 pm

The not wanting to go from the porch to the yard thing has been going on for a while, she is just being stubborn. She is a very willful girl.

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 3/19/2012, 3:28 pm

Bella is my oldest female. She will be 9 in June. She just started being snappy at the other pugs if they get too close or step on her by accident. She has yet to go after one of us, but I wouldn't put it past her. She did it a couple years ago and we eventually figured out it was because she hurt a toenail and it was bothering her. Not sure what it is this time. I try to give her the benefit of the doubt, but I am inclined to believe she is just being a bitchy old lady:lol: .... She has been on glucosamine for a couple years, so it may be time to start her on some stronger pain meds. She still gets on/off the bed and couch, but the bed has pug stairs.

I am giving Gus, my old man LubriSyn. It is a gel like liquid that was originally given to horses for joint issues. I just pour it over his food at night. It has worked amazingly on Gus. He is, by guess, 12-13 yrs old and it has improved his mobility significantly, even after he was on a pain/anti-inflamatory.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside 3/19/2012, 3:40 pm

I do not have any suggestions, just an example...

Julian attacks my daughter everytime she enters a room, nothing is wrong with him, he lives at the vet...he is just fine with all of us but with her he bites, runs after her, and will not be peaceful with her in the room and the second she leaves a room, he barks ridiculously until he cannot see her anymore...

Is it just you that Viv is like this to??

I am consulting a behaviorist, I have an appointment tonight...

Let us know, I am sorry, it is extremely stressful~
ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 3/19/2012, 7:05 pm

No new ideas here - arthritis sounds like a good bet. Penny is on a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM blend, 1/2 tramadol twice a day, and metacam once a day. The metacam really is a miracle drug for her - works a lot better than the Rimadyl.

In any event, I'm saying a prayer and sending a good thought that you find out what is going on with Viv.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 3/19/2012, 7:45 pm

Pugsaunt wrote:The metacam really is a miracle drug for her - works a lot better than the Rimadyl.
Metacam was amazing for Rhoda's pain, too. It was only when she was on pain meds after a dental that I realized how arthritic she had become -- because on the pain meds, she was moving around SO much better!

Donna, when Viv has her tail down, can you get it to curl up if you jolly her up a bit? When Rhoda's tail was down, it meant she was hurting and no amount of baby talk could get it back to normal.
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/19/2012, 7:59 pm

SacramentoPugs wrote:
Pugsaunt wrote:The metacam really is a miracle drug for her - works a lot better than the Rimadyl.
Metacam was amazing for Rhoda's pain, too. It was only when she was on pain meds after a dental that I realized how arthritic she had become -- because on the pain meds, she was moving around SO much better!

Donna, when Viv has her tail down, can you get it to curl up if you jolly her up a bit? When Rhoda's tail was down, it meant she was hurting and no amount of baby talk could get it back to normal.

It does not appear that she is in pain or haiving issues going up or down the stairs, that is what is baffling me a bit.

Yes if I say to Viv get that tail up and give her a hiney pet it goes right back up.

How will the vet know if it is joint pain?

Back to top Go down

Post  puglouie 3/20/2012, 12:27 am

After Louie died, Chamuco went through a phase where he was more aggressive than usual. Not quite as ornery as Viv but definitely more touchy than he was before. It was a noticeable change in behavior that lasted several weeks. Looking back, I'm sure he was dealing with the loss of Louie, his pack leader really, and my absence right after (I left for six weeks for a college course that I took back east). It was a lot for him I think it took him awhile to adjust to everything.

And then we brought Ulysses into the house and he's never forgiven me.

I'm guessing of course but I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't physical at all but just Viv's dealing with Rupert's being gone, the changes in your household, your sadness, etc. I'm sure it's not news to you (or anyone here for that matter) that dogs not only sense the physical loss but they sense your emotions, too. Pugs seem especially sensitive to their owners IMHO. Chamuco has always been the most sensitive of my pugs -- when we're super sad or upset, he gets all quiet on us. A lot has gone on for you lately and Viv has been through it with you -- maybe her aggressiveness is her way of telling you how she's feeling about it all? Just a thought.
puglouie
puglouie

Number of posts : 618

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/20/2012, 7:56 am

Vivian has always been my sensitive one, when Chris and I would raise our voice either in a fight or just a lively conversation she would get really upset, it was a good way for us to defuse our fights and try to reassure her everything was OK.
It's been 9 months since Rupert left, 6 months that Stewie has been here and 3 months since Chris left, I know its a lot of changes but it's been a while and they say dogs don't know time.
She gets on just fine with Stewie, the same she did with Rupert, I think she would prefer to live alone but not once has she gotten mad or taken out her frustrations oh him. He can be a bit of a pest and she just ignores it.

I talked with the vet and we are going to do some blood tests this week to see if she is not feeling well.
If that comes up with nothing not sure what my next step should be, maybe a dog behaviorist?

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 3/20/2012, 11:53 am

The onset of 'dog dimentia' (I don't know its official name) comes to mind. Ask your vet about that, also. She might not be in pain, but she might be a little confused once in awhile and get 'startled' when you approach her. An eye check might also be a good idea. If her eyesight is less, you could possibly be startling her on some approaches. Especially if she was sleeping.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down