Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ButterballBob's eye issues

+3
Maryjo
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
akc0104
7 posters

Go down

ButterballBob's eye issues Empty ButterballBob's eye issues

Post  akc0104 11/10/2009, 6:37 pm

Just returned from the Ophthalmogist appointment. This is not my area of expertise, so bear with me.

Bob's tear production is good. Pressure is good. They stained his eyes, left one is fine, right one still has a small ulcer but the others have healed.

The doctor does all kinds of looking with lights on and off. The left retina looks good. Bob's right eye is cloudy and very scarred so the doctor can't see in. But there is a tiny clear spot and what he can see of the retina through there looks good. The scarring is consistant with what my vet told me last week, little sight in that eye.

Bob's PK in both eyes is significant and astounding for such a young dog.

Bob had surgery to reduce his eye opening earlier this year. The outer corners of his eyes were stitched. The doctor disagrees with this approach and does the inner corners of the eyes. His reasons were that it interferes less with sight (considering Bob's East/West eyes, I can understand this), and that the inner corner is where the pigment is and benefits from less exposure (I think I got that right). Interesting topic since it's not one I'd thought much about before.

Net result - 4 medicines for a total of 7 doses a day. The antibiotic that Bob was already on for the ulcer, Sodium Chloride, GenTeal drops and Optimmune.

We'll go back in 3 weeks and he would like to discuss redoing the eye surgery since Bob still cannot close his eyes completely.

Isn't that a crash course in pug eyes or what?
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

ButterballBob's eye issues Empty Re: ButterballBob's eye issues

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 11/10/2009, 8:50 pm

I hear ya Lisa! Other than a small scratch when LuLu was little, we haven't had to deal with any eye issues. Introduce: Mac. He has complete loss of sight in his right eye, but pressure and tear production are good in both eyes. On December 17th he'll have surgery to remove his right eye, and put a couple stitches the inside of his left eye (medial canthoplasty).
It's amazing how much the ophthalmologist can tell in their initial consultation!!
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 11/10/2009, 8:51 pm

Poor BB! At least he is getting the help he needs now. ButterballBob's eye issues 335895

Thanks for the thorough update! It was very informative...
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 11/10/2009, 11:04 pm

Now I remember the other benefit to doing the inner corners of the eyes, that usually if the eye lashes are rolling inward it's the inner corner of the eye. And that they can eliminate that also.
akc0104
akc0104

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 11/10/2009, 11:46 pm

Poor BBBob and poor you! I hope that the PK can be arrested with the medication. Penny's hasn't gotten any worse since we started the Tacrolimus and Genteal. Hugs to both of you. hug dog Hug
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 11/11/2009, 2:54 am

That was a crash course in pug eyes! 7 meds sounds like a lot, but if it keeps his vision, it is so worth it!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 11/11/2009, 9:55 pm

I have never had a pug who has had the eye tuck, but have come across several resently. Good info! What vet optho do you see?
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 11/11/2009, 10:12 pm

We saw Dr Laratta at the practice in Nolensville.
akc0104
akc0104

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 11/11/2009, 10:21 pm

akc0104 wrote:We saw Dr Laratta at the practice in Nolensville.

Of course, we love Dr. Laratta!! Although he is probably sad not to see us anymore. Teddy and Louise went to him. Teddy went every 3 months!
papaspugs
papaspugs

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 11/11/2009, 10:36 pm

I'm so glad you've had a good experience there. It seems to be the place
to go.
akc0104
akc0104

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 11/11/2009, 11:09 pm

akc0104 wrote:I'm so glad you've had a good experience there. It seems to be the place
to go.

There are other vet optho that practice with him, but I've always requested to see him.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 11/13/2009, 1:12 pm

It seemed at firs that all my fosters had serious eye issues, but now we've gone to the orthopedic side of things!!! I hope things can be resolved for BB and it won't get any worse. Although, it doesn't seem to slow him down at all..... ButterballBob's eye issues Icon_lol
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 11/13/2009, 1:36 pm

TNPUGMOMOF3 wrote:It seemed at firs that all my fosters had serious eye issues, but now we've gone to the orthopedic side of things!!! I hope things can be resolved for BB and it won't get any worse. Although, it doesn't seem to slow him down at all..... ButterballBob's eye issues Icon_lol

DAMN, could you imagine him if he could see 100%? ButterballBob's eye issues Affraid
akc0104
akc0104

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down