Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IBGRRL--some information that might be helpful

4 posters

Go down

IBGRRL--some information that might be helpful Empty IBGRRL--some information that might be helpful

Post  northernwitch 3/24/2012, 8:53 pm

I'm going to a seminar with this woman, Dr. Sophia Yin, and this is a pretty useful link that may have some training techniques for you and some are videoed--even more helpful. If you scroll down, you'll find a video on counter conditioning with reactive/dog aggressive dogs.

Might be worth checking out:

http://drsophiayin.com/philosophy/dominance/?/dominance.php
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

IBGRRL--some information that might be helpful Empty Re: IBGRRL--some information that might be helpful

Post  pugasaurus 3/24/2012, 10:10 pm

Hear hear!!!! I can't wait to go to her aggression seminar in May!
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

IBGRRL--some information that might be helpful Empty Re: IBGRRL--some information that might be helpful

Post  northernwitch 3/24/2012, 10:34 pm

pugasaurus wrote:Hear hear!!!! I can't wait to go to her aggression seminar in May!
I'll give you my review, Karen, since I'm going April 14/15. Can't imagine it won't be fabulous.

I evaluated a dog at the shelter the other day whose owner had tried to break him of pulling on the leash by using the leash pop method with the dog in a PRONG COLLAR (and other aversive methods).

The owner dumped the dog because he said "he's crazy, he won't come out of his crate". Yeah, I bet he won't. Poor dog was so shut down, it was heart breaking.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 3/24/2012, 10:44 pm

Watching those CM videos was so horribly cringe inducing. Those poor dogs.
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/24/2012, 10:49 pm

pugasaurus wrote:Watching those CM videos was so horribly cringe inducing. Those poor dogs.
Yep. I have to build myself up to watching them. It makes my heart race--I can't imagine what it does to those dogs.

The absolute ONLY thing that I find beneficial about the videos is that they are excellent tools for teaching people the signs of stress/anxiety/fear/shut down or shock in dogs. I turn the sound off and have people watch the dog exclusively--not the owners or CM--just the dog and then I ask them to tell me what they see, when they saw it and give me their analysis of what the behaviour is telling them about the dog. It's the absolute only useful thing--but it done at the expense of the dogs.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 3/24/2012, 11:09 pm

Yeah, "calm submissive state" is actually "I'm almost catatonic from fear" without the music and patter if people would take the time to look. I wonder how many times he's gotten the shit bitten out of him and I wonder how many people have tried this on their dogs. I would get people in my classes all the time that made that annoying noise that he uses on the show.

The sad thing is there was this poor pug that used to come to pug playtime. The people got the dog as a puppy and I tried to talk them into getting the dog into training, but the guy was going to "do it himself". Not only did they not train the dog, they didn't socialize him either and he became dog aggressive and the owner started doing all the CM stuff on the dog and the poor dog became increasingly agitated every time I saw him. Very sad and I'll be willing to bet they no longer have that poor dog. The guy alpha rolled the poor thing in the middle of pug playtime the last time I saw them. I tried to again to talk to him about training, but "he knew what he was doing".

That's the other really irritating thing about CM is that he totally feeds the macho mindset that insecure guys fall for hook line and sinker. Ugh.
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Back to top Go down

Post  CSollers 3/25/2012, 10:00 am

As a guy I can say that I feel too many men think that thet know everything about everything. Any a$$hole practicing dominance ttraining on a Pug deserves to be b!tch slapped(or worse)! People suck!!!!!

IBGRRL--some information that might be helpful 257673
CSollers
CSollers

Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/25/2012, 10:20 am

CSollers wrote:As a guy I can say that I feel too many men think that thet know everything about everything. Any a$$hole practicing dominance ttraining on a Pug deserves to be b!tch slapped(or worse)! People suck!!!!!

IBGRRL--some information that might be helpful 257673
Yes sirree. Sadly, CM does feed into this benighted attitude.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Back to top Go down

Post  lbgrrl 4/12/2012, 2:34 am

northernwitch wrote:I'm going to a seminar with this woman, Dr. Sophia Yin, and this is a pretty useful link that may have some training techniques for you and some are videoed--even more helpful. If you scroll down, you'll find a video on counter conditioning with reactive/dog aggressive dogs.

Might be worth checking out:

http://drsophiayin.com/philosophy/dominance/?/dominance.php

Thank you, I will watch them! Beatrice and I have been working with a trainer (positive methods, no Cesar Milan dominance crap!) and Beatrice has been making *some* progress. She can ignore a dog we spend a lot of time working with, but not strange, random dogs. But the trainer really feels she will eventually get along or at least tolerate other dogs. We still have two sessions left.

I get discouraged though, because when I take her out for her walks, she is still a raving lunatic if she sees another dog anywhere within the same zip code. She amps up almost instantly and once she is there, the magic word and the treat dont work, as she is just deaf to me then. When she is not amped up, I can say "LOOK!" and she pays prompt attention. She is smart and learns quickly but her fear just takes over when she sees another dog and she is gone. The trainer brought her St Bernard and after Beatrice had a session where she barked so hard her tongue turned purple, she finally realized the dog wasnt going to hurt her. She was full of crap, too--she acts like she will bite the other dog, but she didnt :) So I will be happy to glean any hints from this video!
lbgrrl
lbgrrl

Number of posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down