Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pecking, Humping, and Brawling...help

3 posters

Go down

Pecking, Humping, and Brawling...help Empty Pecking, Humping, and Brawling...help

Post  betsyboo103 5/10/2012, 4:51 pm

Alrighty, so we've had Ollie for a couple weeks now and things are starting to fall into place. We haven't had a mess in the house for 8 days :) :) and he's learning "sit", "stay", "off" (couch/bed), and "come" and doing well (thanks to you folks) BUT....The dogs get into a spat at least 5 times a day. No blood er anything and it stops after a clap or holler but for about 1.5 secs they turn into little monsters. Ollie is waiting to be neutered so I assumed that it was the source of the problem but Bowie has started some of these scraps as well. Most of these episodes occur when Ollie won't leave Bowie alone. he starts nudging and pecking at him, trying to hump and Bowie tries to walk away and then gives up and BAM! also when I'm filling their tricky treat balls (breakfast or dins), Bowie gets really worked up (shaking, crying...any advice on this would help too). Once their filled he's fine to wait. Sometimes during these tantrums he'll go after Ollie if he goes anywhere near him! If Ollie has a toy Bowie will stop whatever he's doing and try to follow & hump him and they freak at each other again!! note: after the freak outs their fine with each other (sit together, sleep together). I was hoping they just had to get used to each other but i'm getting a bit worried. Should I do time outs or something? It's like a crazy house during these times and I feel bad because I just want them to love each other and CHILL OUT!!
betsyboo103
betsyboo103

Number of posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Pecking, Humping, and Brawling...help Empty Re: Pecking, Humping, and Brawling...help

Post  Snifter&Toddy 5/11/2012, 4:46 am

I suspect they are trying to work out their pecking order. I would probably ignore it unless you think they are likely to cause damage to each other. Pug play fights can look and sound pretty full on but, believe me, you can tell when the boundary is crossed and they start real aggression. No harm in telling them to cut it out before it escalates too far, but I don't think you will be able to stop it 100% and if you do, it may not be all that good for them.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Pecking, Humping, and Brawling...help Empty Re: Pecking, Humping, and Brawling...help

Post  northernwitch 5/11/2012, 4:25 pm

This may also be about Ollie annoying the heck out of the other pug. Bowie maya have been trying to give Ollie appropriate hint to leave him alone and Ollie isn't taking the hint--especially if there is an age/energy difference.

I'd keep an eye on Ollie and watch for when Bowie is getting fed up. Frankly, if Ollie is being a pest with pecking and muzzle punching, you should step in and let Bowie get a break. I find a few rescue dogs don't speak dog well and are socially stunted.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  betsyboo103 5/15/2012, 1:05 pm

Well I took a few days to see what would happen. Everytime they start getting into it, I crinkle some newspaper, they stop, look, and I get them to come over to me, sit and reward. Actually at first it was an accident but the newspaper was the only thing that got their attention. The 1st day or so seemed hopeless but the dogs are slowly starting to get more comfortable with each other. Also we have his neutering date set for the 30th instead of June 11th (thank goodness) and I think that may help. A friend of ours lent us a book "BARRONS - DOG TRAINING BIBLE w/ANDREA ARDEN" and my nose has been glued to it for the last couple days!! My little Ollie will be "womans best friend" in no time....well maybe not but I'm already noticing a BIG difference. I can tell that he's starting to trust us (letting us pet him while he sits/lays down/squirming less when we clean his wrinkles & ears/sleeping through the night) and that's a great sign in my eyes!!
Thanks for the advice!!
betsyboo103
betsyboo103

Number of posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down