Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Humping. Why do they do it?

+2
Snifter&Toddy
northernwitch
6 posters

Go down

Humping.  Why do they do it? Empty Humping. Why do they do it?

Post  northernwitch 7/16/2012, 1:52 pm

This is an excellent article from Bark magazine about humping. It's fairly long so I'm only posting the link and copying and pasting the article.

http://www.thebark.com/content/hmping#.UARUm_U7t8E
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Humping.  Why do they do it? Empty Re: Humping. Why do they do it?

Post  Snifter&Toddy 7/17/2012, 5:13 am

It is a great article; thanks for that Blanche.

I have certainly noticed that most of the humping my boys do is based around social excitement; pug parties are a humpfest; visitors often get treated to a "show".

I actually find it quite frustrating when humans project human norms onto dogs and get really hung up about humping. For me there are many other things I would rather they not do than hump, so I concentrate my training efforts on what matters to me. However, visits from the MIL can be excruciating. Fortunately the pugs have realised she is never going to like them, so they rarely bother to put on a show for her any more.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  ayleash 7/17/2012, 6:59 am

Biggest lecture at Camp Unleashed (google it to see an old Rachel Rae clip about it, if you are interested) is "HUMPING IS NOT ABOUT SEX!"

That being said, after they have "made their point" (so to speak), it's not unreasonable to ask "them" to "lay off" or "move on" to some other way of communicating...

The most awkward scene of course is when someone can't walk just after it because his lipstick is out. Humping.  Why do they do it? 6260
ayleash
ayleash

Number of posts : 1496

Back to top Go down

Post  CSollers 7/19/2012, 3:27 pm

Ray never humps and Minni only air humps if I dare to show Ray too nuch attention if dhe feeling left out. I don't see it as a big deal as it's a pretty rare occurence around here.
CSollers
CSollers

Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 7/19/2012, 5:37 pm

CSollers wrote:Ray never humps and Minni only air humps if I dare to show Ray too nuch attention if dhe feeling left out. I don't see it as a big deal as it's a pretty rare occurence around here.
Like you, I don't see a lot of it. If I'm going to see it, I see it in the first couple of days of a new foster who may go hump-crazy. I discourage it, but have never had a really bad humper. Hazel occasionally uses it to subdue a puppy she can't otherwise catch.

Tank air humps in the back seat of the car as we come home from the park or an event. Sits there very quietly and politely with his hips going back and forth. It's hilarious.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 7/19/2012, 5:45 pm

My pugs rarely ever hump. I have never seen Tobey (the girl) hump at all. On occasion Skeeter will try to hump Ichiro, but I stop that if it happens, and it is never about dominance, just play and excitement.

I am thankful too that I have never had a foster that was a serious humper.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 7/26/2012, 9:55 pm

My boys only do it at the pug meets to each other. Otherwise at home they are content to snuggle.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down