Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here it is again ... Questions About Pet Insurance

+4
Mel
puglover22
Aussie Witch
elisemarie
8 posters

Go down

Here it is again ... Questions About Pet Insurance Empty Here it is again ... Questions About Pet Insurance

Post  elisemarie 8/3/2012, 11:15 pm

Have any / all of you come to some consensus regarding "the right choice" for pet insurance?

Sam, my now permanently beloved Tuxedo cat has cost me a very pretty penny to maintain the health of his urinary tract. Needless to say, he has become one very expensive "piece of tail". I must have had SUCKER ingrained on my forehead the day Sam came sauntering in with my two Puggas. In addition to Sam, I have my two absolutely awesome Puggas to keep happy and healthy.

The sticker shock from Sam's treatment almost sent me skyrocketing. After everything was said and done, to date, Sam has experienced close to $1,000.00 in health care. Can we say a big ME- OWWW ? !!!!

~~~~~

What do you folks think is the best insurance plan / provider?

Just pretty much straight up. What agency would y'all recommend?

There has to be some / one company that will protect against the costs of "immediate care", and preventive care. For instance, my Puggas are due for their annual check-up and vaccinations. Sam went in after 5 pm., on 29 June (a Friday) and he was not released until the following Monday. Sam went in on an emergency basis, and, all three of my critters need routine care - in addition to ... ???

Obviously, (much to some folks' surprise) I have had the funds available to take care of all three of my "critters". Bubba and A'chi have been spayed and neutered, vaccinated and licensed (of course) ... and Sammy has been treated for what ailed / ails him.

I am just trying to find a "thumbs up" pet insurance protection policy that will assist in all routine and "unexpected" visits to the vet.

* Do some policies cover "pre-existing conditions" better than others?
~~~~~

I have done my homework researching various agencies. I have some preferences, however, I would really appreciate any information and input y'all could offer.

Thanks !

em (aka: owned by very lovable critters)
elisemarie
elisemarie

Number of posts : 296

Back to top Go down

Here it is again ... Questions About Pet Insurance Empty Re: Here it is again ... Questions About Pet Insurance

Post  Aussie Witch 8/4/2012, 3:07 am

As everyone who has known me on the forums for years knows, my vet bills have gone north of $100,000 for four Pugs. It is NOT an exaggeration, it's probably a lot more by now. Thankfully I have had insurance. It hasn't covered every penny I've outlayed, my insurers only cover 80%, and with policy limits, things they refuse to cover and everything else, I'm probably out of pocket $30-$35,000. Still, I am so far ahead I wouldn't dream of dropping it. Maybe the insurance company will win out eventually (but with pugs I kind of doubt it) but for the piece of mind it's worth it.

$1000 is a pretty good for anything major. In the last year of my sweet Puck's life, her vet bills exceeded $20,000. My policy limit for any one year was $6000 at the time. I don't begrudge a cent.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Here it is again ... Questions About Pet Insurance Empty Re: Here it is again ... Questions About Pet Insurance

Post  puglover22 8/6/2012, 10:49 am

I have VPI and they just offered a major medical plan that costs a little more, but has a one time deductable (not per visit) and it pays off much more than their previous plans used to
puglover22
puglover22

Number of posts : 608

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 8/6/2012, 1:54 pm

I've never had pet insurance, but my former vet now has a radio show and one of his recent guests was a regional director for a pet insurance company. here's the link to the archived show if you want to listen: http://pettalkwithdrb.com/7-14-12.php
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Millie'sMichael 8/6/2012, 2:20 pm

I've been doing some research too. I'm leaning towards Embrace Pet Insurance, but am afraid to make a decision. This is hard.
Millie'sMichael
Millie'sMichael

Number of posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 8/6/2012, 3:40 pm

I'm looking at PetSecure. Partly because they will insure an intact dog and since Meesh is on a breeding contract, I need an insurer that will and I think VPI won't insure an intact dog. And they appear to have no breed exclusions--and important factor for me.

http://www.petsecure.com/plans/dog-health-insurance
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Two Crazy Pugs 8/6/2012, 5:31 pm

We have pet insurance and have never had problems with it. We like the coverage and it is easy to work with. We have VPI for both pugs. We bought their policies when they were young.

Be careful though. Your cat now has a pre-existing condition that insurance carriers will look at. There are hoops to jump through to get it removed with most insurances, but it is a hassle.
Two Crazy Pugs
Two Crazy Pugs

Number of posts : 1295

Back to top Go down

Post  CSollers 8/7/2012, 11:19 am

Do your inurance policies have age restrictions? I'd love to get some but Ray is at least ten years lod.
CSollers
CSollers

Number of posts : 376

Back to top Go down

Post  Millie'sMichael 8/7/2012, 12:02 pm

Oy. Now after more research, I'm back to VPI. This IS hard.
Millie'sMichael
Millie'sMichael

Number of posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  puglover22 8/7/2012, 1:01 pm

northernwitch wrote:I'm looking at PetSecure. Partly because they will insure an intact dog and since Meesh is on a breeding contract, I need an insurer that will and I think VPI won't insure an intact dog. And they appear to have no breed exclusions--and important factor for me.

[url=http://www.petsecure.com/plans/dog-health-insurance
http://www.petsecure.com/plans/dog-health-insurance[/quote[/url]]

Blanche I think VPI will insure an intact dog because the first year I had it I opted for the wellness package which one of the benefits was spay or neuter, so if they wouldn't insure an intact dog, there would be no need for covering the spay/neuter because obviously they were intact before the operation!
puglover22
puglover22

Number of posts : 608

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 8/7/2012, 3:54 pm

[quote="puglover22"]
northernwitch wrote:I'm looking at PetSecure. Partly because they will insure an intact dog and since Meesh is on a breeding contract, I need an insurer that will and I think VPI won't insure an intact dog. And they appear to have no breed exclusions--and important factor for me.

http://www.petsecure.com/plans/dog-health-insurance[/quote]

Blanche I think VPI will insure an intact dog because the first year I had it I opted for the wellness package which one of the benefits was spay or neuter, so if they wouldn't insure an intact dog, there would be no need for covering the spay/neuter because obviously they were intact before the operation!
If I remember correctly, they will insure an intact animal for up to a year--but want the dog neutered and Meesh is now three and still intact and may remain that way for another year or two--that's where my stumbling block came--the fact that he is on a breeding contract.

But I will double check that. One of the insurers I looked at said no and I think it was VPI, but might have been another.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down