Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

are all rescues starved all the time UPDATED

5 posters

Go down

are all rescues starved all the time UPDATED Empty are all rescues starved all the time UPDATED

Post  lindarpugma 11/12/2012, 2:58 pm

I have 2 fairly new rescues, the non pug variety. I am used to pugs eating like little "um" pigs. But both my new ones eat like there is no tomorrow. Izzy I can understand, she is from a mill and she scoffs her food down and is ok until the next meal.

Mia on the other hand is supposed to have had an owner that died and the family took her to the pound and after being passed around a good bit ended up here. She is the Japanese Chin. I have never seen a dog eat like she does. She starts an hour before time to eat and paces and acts like she's going to die if I don't feed her. She wakes up at 4:35 to 5 and is raring to go eat and we put her off until about 6:30 or so then get up and feed her. Pete has started giving her a snack in the middle of the night when she goes outside because if he doesn't she throws up before we get up and I think her stomach is just weak.

I have an appointment on Thursday to take her to the Dr but am wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this.

Last edited by lindarpugma on 11/16/2012, 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
lindarpugma
lindarpugma

Number of posts : 593

Back to top Go down

are all rescues starved all the time UPDATED Empty Re: are all rescues starved all the time UPDATED

Post  Maryjo 11/12/2012, 5:34 pm

Mia might have low blood suger. Some small dogs do. Giving her a snack in between meals is probably a good idea. Have your vet check her glucose level and tell him the last time she ate.

Even a carrot or green bean can be a snack, or even some her her own kibble.

are all rescues starved all the time UPDATED 335895
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

are all rescues starved all the time UPDATED Empty Re: are all rescues starved all the time UPDATED

Post  Maryjo 11/12/2012, 5:36 pm

PS: I've heard that throwing up on an empty stomach can be a sign of low blood sugar. Good thing you're going to the vet!
Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 11/12/2012, 10:16 pm

Are they being fed twice a day? If so, it is a good thing you are taking her to the vet to check it out.
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  lindarpugma 11/13/2012, 10:14 am

Thanks, I never thought about low blood sugar and I feed them 3 times a day. I started that when Ally was a tiny puppy and have done it ever since. I give them the most in the am and pm with a small portion at lunch. I'm pretty sure she's getting enough because she's gained a little weight but I think she would eat all day long.
lindarpugma
lindarpugma

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 11/13/2012, 2:32 pm

I would eat all day long too..... Shocked
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  ocnside 11/16/2012, 1:32 pm

Rosie get treats too and also eats 3X a day

She gets cheerios and sometimes lamb treats...

Good Luck, let us know :)
ocnside
ocnside

Number of posts : 718

Back to top Go down

Post  lindarpugma 11/16/2012, 2:24 pm

I took Mia to the Dr yesterday and had her checked out. I found out that she has had a broken pelvis that most likely wasn't taken care of, it's an old injury but has healed crooked. She has some fungus in a couple of places - most likely from stress and a compromised immune system. We decided to try some pepcid to see if it will help settle her stomach.

She actually has slept better the past couple of nights. Her shoulder was popped out a little and she put it back in and worked on her spine a little. I am so lucky, my dr is a traditional vet but also does non-traditional medicine too. I love that about her. We are just going to give her some more time to settle in and watch her. I am sure the last year has been hard on her to be bounced around so much.

The other rescue that I got a few weeks before Mia came from a puppy mill and she has settled in so well, her only issue is that she still will pee on the floor but that's getting much better. I think Izzy just thinks she died and went to heaven - she seems really happy.

It just kills me that people are so rotten and mistreat these little guys so badly, I just can't believe it sometimes and I know the three rescues that I have aren't nearly as bad as a lot of rescues are. IT really makes me appreciate the people who work with the rescues so much, I don't know if I could do the things that they do.

I
lindarpugma
lindarpugma

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 11/16/2012, 3:20 pm

Sounds like you have a fantastic vet! Hopefully she keeps settling in and isn't in any more pain.

are all rescues starved all the time UPDATED 335895
Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down