Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about canned dog food

+3
Aussie Witch
Renee
pugmom
7 posters

Go down

Question about canned dog food Empty Question about canned dog food

Post  pugmom 1/14/2013, 8:53 pm

What is the relationship in amounts of canned dog food virus regular kibble?

I have always preferred to feed my pugs kibble. Currently I am feeding Ty mostly Wellness products and he gets Holistic Select Lamb Meal for his treats. He also gets plain non-fat yogurt with every meal and pumpkin in the morning. Ty gets about 1/3 cup of kibble twice a day and I add some warm water.

Ty has only 5-6 teeth left and his two front canines are bad. My vet has suggested that I may want to give him canned food. I hesistate because so far Ty seems to have no problem getting the kibble eaten. It does take him a long time and he makes a great mess! I assume he swallow most of it whole.

Opinions and suggestions welcome please-------------------
pugmom
pugmom

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Question about canned dog food Empty Re: Question about canned dog food

Post  Renee 1/14/2013, 11:47 pm

Have you thought about giving The Honest Kitchen a try? For just one pug, with the amount of food you feed, I do not think it would be cost prohibitive.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 1/15/2013, 4:49 am

Mine get a combination. They get kibble in the morning and for dinner they get a very high quality canned food; non-fat, unflavoured organic bio-dynamic yogurt all topped with grated carrot. Imi has about three teeth left and she has no trouble with her kibble or her daily chewy.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 1/15/2013, 8:38 am

I mix a heaping teaspoon of canned with the dry and 1/3 cup warm water for Aggy. Softens it a bit and she doesn't have any trouble chowing it down. She does however make a HUGE mess.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 1/15/2013, 11:42 am

We have a couple who are on prescription canned food for bladder stones and the others get a rotation of either Instinct canned or Bravo raw which is very mushy. Kibble is convenient but so heavily processed. Good quality canned food doesn't require added artificial coloring, flavoring, or synthetic preservatives. It also has a much higher moisture content which is helpful since pugs are prone to bladder issues. It's typically higher in good quality protein and lower in carbohydrates too (which is important in regards to cancer). Of course...it is easier to eat for my old timers who have very few teeth too. Very Happy
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsrule 1/17/2013, 11:24 pm

Two of mine get kibble with a teaspoon or so of raw.I flood the kibble with water.It really helps them get fluids and i find they dont drink so much water during the day.Of course my raw eater hardly drinks any water but I still put a little water in her bowl too.I have only tried a can or two of wellness I think..a long time ago,but my girls would eat anything,lol. Shocked
pugsrule
pugsrule

Number of posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 1/18/2013, 4:47 pm

Penny gets her pills in canned senior Wellness, and she loves the stuff. Her teeth, well, the ones she has left, are still pretty ok, although I'm starting to flood her kibble with water, too
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down