Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

canned pumpkin?

+4
Maryjo
Miss Pit
sallyandtilly
HomerMarge&Bart
8 posters

Go down

canned pumpkin? Empty canned pumpkin?

Post  HomerMarge&Bart 7/26/2010, 5:43 pm

I know many people feed canned pumpkin... I'm on my last can (I raided on store and bought a bunch of the big cans before they ran out) & I know there is a shortage of it and the company can't produce anymore until pumpkin season again.. What can be used in place of it?

Marge has had anal gland problems and the pumpkin has really helped her, and I don't want to just stop giving it to her..

HomerMarge&Bart

Number of posts : 27

Back to top Go down

canned pumpkin? Empty Re: canned pumpkin?

Post  sallyandtilly 7/26/2010, 6:06 pm

I think some people are feeding green beans.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Pit 7/26/2010, 6:09 pm

I had been wondering the same thing myself. Has anyone had the same results with winter squash(acorn,butternut,etc.)?

I've cleaned out all the stores w/i a 50 mile radius of pumpkin.

Thanks,
Trish

Miss Pit

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 7/26/2010, 6:11 pm

I keep looking for it, and Linda even brought some back from Missouri when she went last month. LOL

I have a feeling it will be back (more expensive, of course, because of the shortage) nearer to the holiday season.

For now, look for it in health food stores, too. I have found it in the oddest places.
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Katie & Stella 7/26/2010, 6:11 pm

Katie & Stella
Katie & Stella

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 7/26/2010, 6:27 pm

I've heard that both sweet potatoes- the orange ones, and winter squash- hubbard or butternut work, but I read that off another dog forum so I can't be sure.

I think cooking up a winter squash until it is tender would work just fine. I'll have to experiment.

Hopefully (since I heard they had a good pumpkin crop this year) canned pumpkin will be back soon!
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mother Hubbard 7/26/2010, 7:50 pm

Its back in the stores here but only Stokelys (no Libbys yet) . I have been buying up every large can they have.
Old Mother Hubbard
Old Mother Hubbard

Number of posts : 257

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 7/26/2010, 8:26 pm

I got Penny's pumpkin at Whole Paycheck, and when they were out I used the canned butternut squash. Worked just as well. Now there is an organic canned pumpkin for dogs, and it is the same price as Whole Paycheck. Penny's Scraps store has it, and I'm thrilled.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  HomerMarge&Bart 7/26/2010, 10:43 pm

Thanks for posting the link... But most places I've found online, don't ship to Hawaii. And i've checked the stores here. We're very limited on the stores here as well.. They are just now building a whole foods.. other then that it's just safeway and 2 small local food chains.. I keep checking weekly!

Maybe I'll give the sweet potatoes a try!

HomerMarge&Bart

Number of posts : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 7/27/2010, 12:57 pm

That should work. And if your gang is anything like Penny, they will think they are in heaven with sweet potatoes.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  pugmom 7/27/2010, 9:51 pm

I am down to my last half can of pumpkin. I will start looking but if I do not find any yet I will try squash or sweet potatoes. My Ty eats anything.............he will love sweet potatoes and think they are a real treat.
pugmom
pugmom

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down