Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canned pumpkin shortage

+13
Lilos Mom
Sadie
Maryjo
GracieNEmma
Lu Ci and Ri Ki
sallyandtilly
Pugsaunt
smoochieface
Not Afraid
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
akc0104
northernwitch
dieselsmom
17 posters

Go down

Canned pumpkin shortage Empty Canned pumpkin shortage

Post  dieselsmom 9/18/2009, 1:31 pm

Last night was the second time in the past month that I haven't been able to find canned pumpkin at the grocery store. I asked one of the managers last night and she told me that apparently, it was a bad pumpkin crop this year, so there's a shortage on canned pumpkin and they won't be getting any in for at least another month. I asked if they had any at all and she told me they did have an economy size. I told her perfect, I'd take it.

I'm now the proud owner of a 6 POUND can of canned pumpkin!!! At least it freezes so it won't go to waste. I'm sure she thought I was completely nuts buying a 6 pound can, but crap, what if one of the pugs gets diarrhea and I don't have any pumpkin on hand?!
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Canned pumpkin shortage Empty Re: Canned pumpkin shortage

Post  northernwitch 9/18/2009, 1:35 pm

Rachel:
Thanks for explaining why it's become so hard to find. Here's a useful thing to have on hand. It's a digestive enzyme that I use alot and it is really helpful with diarrhea. It's called Acute Care and is made by the same company that makes Sasha's Blend--Centaur SA or SV--I can never remember. It's great for diarrhea!
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 9/18/2009, 1:40 pm

I'm sorry, but the visual of a 6 pound can of pumpkin just made me laugh out loud!!
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 9/18/2009, 2:00 pm

akc0104 wrote:I'm sorry, but the visual of a 6 pound can of pumpkin just made me laugh out loud!!

Me too, I have this visual of you Rachel pushing a shopping cart around the store with nothing but this gigantic can of pumpkin, LOL!!
Pumpkin is actually on my shopping list for the weekend, hopefully my laughing at you won't come back to bite me in the rear!
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 9/18/2009, 2:00 pm

I haven't had issues finding pumpkin yet, but Honest Kitchen makes a canned pumpkin supplement that the store hasn't had a problem getting. It is under their Fruitables brand. There's another digestive enzyme supplement I recommend as well from Flying Basset. They make great, human grade supplements.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 9/18/2009, 2:01 pm

dieselsmom wrote:
I'm now the proud owner of a 6 POUND can of canned pumpkin!!! At least it freezes so it won't go to waste. I'm sure she thought I was completely nuts buying a 6 pound can, but crap, what if one of the pugs gets diarrhea and I don't have any pumpkin on hand?!

Where is the standing ovation smiley when you need one? Pug moms rock!
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/18/2009, 2:22 pm

All I could find all summer was the two pound can - then last week, Whole Paycheck had organic canned pumpkin again. I stocked up. That is a great visual of Rachel and the shopping cart.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 9/18/2009, 2:29 pm

Love the 6 pound can story. I looked for pumpkin yesterday and couldn't find any. I don't usually give it to Tilly, but I do love to bake pumpkin pies this time of the year.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Lu Ci and Ri Ki 9/18/2009, 2:59 pm

I bought out Winn Dixie, Walmart and Publix. I couldn't figure out why the shortage but now I know. Hopefully, as the Holidays approach they will get more in stock. What would Thanksgiving be without Pumpkin Pie?
Lu Ci and Ri Ki
Lu Ci and Ri Ki

Number of posts : 569

Back to top Go down

Post  GracieNEmma 9/18/2009, 3:50 pm

My friend sent me an e-mail about a pumpkin shortage but I didn't realize it was not just in this area!! I can't imagine a 6 pound can of pumpkin!! Who knew they even made cans of pumpkin that big. Canned pumpkin shortage Icon_biggrin Looks like you won't run out for a long, long while. Canned pumpkin shortage Icon_lol
GracieNEmma
GracieNEmma

Number of posts : 1065

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 9/18/2009, 3:54 pm

Now I'm wondering if Trader Joe's will be getting in their Organic Pumpkin? If they have it, I may just buy out the store. They're going to think I'm making the world's largest pumpkin pie. I wonder what they will say when I tell them it is for my dogs? pug
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 9/18/2009, 4:07 pm

I noticed I can only get the larger cans (32 oz maybe?) in the stores, not the small ones (16 oz maybe?). I wondered why... I better stock up before they run out!
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sadie 9/18/2009, 4:56 pm

In the absence of those small cans, I just boil some yams. Don't know if they have the same effect but my girls get a dollop of that each day. What about squash? The winter ones are out now which means pumpkins can't be far behind. As long as it's got good fiber qualities, it should work.

Canned pumpkin shortage 441335 Canned pumpkin shortage 441335 Canned pumpkin shortage 441335 Canned pumpkin shortage 441335 Canned pumpkin shortage 441335

Sadie, at home, feeling the hole left behind by my girl Nala , with Sophie & Susy napping noisily by my side.
Sadie
Sadie

Number of posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 9/18/2009, 8:12 pm

Ok, here's my 6 pound 10 oz can of pumpkin:

Canned pumpkin shortage IMG_0971

Next to it is what would be the normal size can I buy. Yeah, I think we shouldn't run out any time soon!!
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 9/18/2009, 9:01 pm

OMG, too funny!!! I'd say your good for awhile.
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 9/18/2009, 9:40 pm

That can of tomatoes looks like a can to tomato paste next to that pumpkin!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Canned pumpkin shortage Empty Pumpkin

Post  Miss Pugg 9/18/2009, 10:26 pm

I haven't been able to get plain canned pumpkin either at Aldi's or my favorite HyVee store for over a year. Lately I have been buying up 28 oz. of it for .99 cents! It's Stokleys and it works for my dogs. I have probably 12 cans of it now and always buy more when I'm in that store. The store is Fareway, mostly in Iowa and Illinois. It lasts over a week refrigerated and the dogs adore it. The HyVee manager told me the crop was bad last year so I'm hoping it's better this year. I sure do like the price of these cans tho, sitting next to another well known brand (can't remember the name of the name of the well known brand) which sells for $2.39.
Miss Pugg
Miss Pugg

Number of posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/19/2009, 12:11 am

Whole Paycheck has the 1 lb cans on sale - I stocked up again today. Hadn't thought about squash, though.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 9/19/2009, 9:13 am

I don't normally feed it to the boys but I did during the current bacterial outbreak we had here...so thank you for explaining why I couldn't find any at Kroger!

I (accidentally) bought the pie filling kind--took it back. But I had a big can in the basement from last year. I actually make a pumpkin "hummus" from Cooking Light that I'm kind of addicted to, so perhaps I need to start hoarding!
Eph91
Eph91

Number of posts : 2839

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 9/19/2009, 11:54 am

I went to my Kroger yesterday too and there was none to be found. I have 3 of the large cans, but we will go through that in less than a month!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Sadie 9/19/2009, 1:12 pm

Whoa! Back up there! Pumpkin Hummus? I'm headed to Cooking Light for that one! It sounds wonderful! I'm always up for a good munchie! thanks!

Canned pumpkin shortage Icon_biggrin Canned pumpkin shortage Icon_biggrin Canned pumpkin shortage Icon_biggrin Canned pumpkin shortage Icon_biggrin Canned pumpkin shortage 977583

Sadie, at home, hating the hole left by my sweet Nala( I love you sweetheart), but taking comfort in my Sophie & Susy by my side
Sadie
Sadie

Number of posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 9/19/2009, 3:51 pm

It is super yummy (the pumpkin "hummus"). Kind of a "fluffy" texture that may seem weird to you at first, but I really dig it.

I went into Whole Foods today, and they only had the small cans of the organic pumpkin, which were $3...I think I'll wait and hope the cheap stuff comes back soon! Canned pumpkin shortage Icon_lol
Eph91
Eph91

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/19/2009, 4:52 pm

$3 at your Whole Paycheck? I paid $2 on sale here in Reno!!!!!
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Back to top Go down

Post  Eph91 9/19/2009, 6:27 pm

Yes...crazy price at Whole Foods---for the SMALL can. But I just braved the 6th circle of hell, aka Meijer (think an even worse than Walmart Walmart type store...shudder), and stocked up. They had lots. The BIG cans were $2.

(I've been to 2 Kroger stores and another local chain, Hollywood, and nada. In fact, one woman at Kroger said she heard they weren't getting ANY this year.)

I should have bought ALL of it and started my own little Thanksgiving business...although I don't suppose that's very giving! Canned pumpkin shortage Icon_lol (I didn't!)

I suppose they're waiting to release it so there will be enough for Thanksgiving, but it's weird to think you can't get a canned veggie all year 'round!
Eph91
Eph91

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 9/19/2009, 11:40 pm

OMG that is too funny, I LOVE the visual.

I was looking for pumpkin for Carter but could not find the 1lb cans and I didn't want more than that so I didn't buy any, but now I'll stock up, even if it is the bigger cans. :)
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down