Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food question

5 posters

Go down

Food question Empty Food question

Post  PugLady3 1/6/2011, 6:06 pm

Anybody ever tried Merrick's Before Grain or Wellness Core in the canned formulas? I'm looking for something grain free that doesn't contain rosemary (or rosemary extract, oil, etc.) since, from what I've read online, it can trigger seizures. All of the grain free kibbles that I've looked at use rosemary as a preservative. It looks like the canned BG or Core should be safe to use. I swear...I'm just going to start cooking for all of my pugs. This commercial food thing is a pain in the ass sometimes! hair pull
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Food question Empty Re: Food question

Post  northernwitch 1/6/2011, 6:51 pm

I've used (and still use) both--but mostly Wellness Core. Great food. I like all the wellness canned stuff, but haven't had to worry about seizures except for Pippin who, turns out, didn't have a seizure disorder.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 1/6/2011, 10:16 pm

BG is a good brand, although I think Wellness is a better brand. BG canned used to be 100% meat and used for a supplement only, however they have change the mix so it is now 96% meat with nutritional supplements added in for complete nutrition. I have used it for my cats since they've made the change the I'm please with it. But, I rotate foods on a continual basis.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 1/7/2011, 10:10 am

I may be off base, but was Wellness wet involved in one of the recalls? Or am I thinking of another brand? I used to feed Wellness, but stopped for some reason and I can't remember if it was from a formula change or a recall. Also, did they get bought out by a larger corp? I may be taking off the top of my head though.
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 1/7/2011, 10:40 am

papaspugs wrote:I may be off base, but was Wellness wet involved in one of the recalls? Or am I thinking of another brand? I used to feed Wellness, but stopped for some reason and I can't remember if it was from a formula change or a recall. Also, did they get bought out by a larger corp? I may be taking off the top of my head though.

Wellness & Eagle Pack merged last year & are now owned by "Wellpet". Maybe that's what you're thinking of? I'm not sure about the recall stuff. Thanks for the info! I may pick up some canned Core and give it a try but since I'm cooking for Buster now anyway, I'll probably just start making bigger batches for everyone eventually.
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 1/7/2011, 1:51 pm

Here is another site that rates food.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

Back to top Go down

Post  lola's mom 1/8/2011, 12:23 pm

I hear Wellness Core work well. I switch between the Chicken Stew, which is grain free but has rosemary in it and the Simple Solutions Lamb and rice formula. Lola's belly is pretty sensitive and does well on Wellness.
lola's mom
lola's mom

Number of posts : 785

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down