Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What else goes into your pug's food?

+16
dieselsmom
pugsandkids
Newsie96
northernwitch
Not Afraid
Old Mother Hubbard
GingerSnap
Puglove2
LisaIzzyAggy
PugMomTo2
Saira
MackandMattiesMom
Amanda
Snifter&Toddy
Sara
ForeverHopper
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What else goes into your pug's food? Empty What else goes into your pug's food?

Post  ForeverHopper 3/16/2009, 10:03 pm

I know from time to time, I'm curious as to what pug owners add to their pug's food to help their skin, coat and just overall well being.

For my babies, I give them a tsp. of coconut oil in their food every other day and they love it. It's really good for them and much better on their breath than fish oil. afraid

I also give them a probiotic once a week to help their digestive system. And for that extra treat, they get some blanched green beans and carrots in their food. I also add some plain yogurt from time to time. They absolutely go nuts over these.

So, what do you all add to your pug's food?

Last edited by ForeverHopper on 3/21/2009, 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
ForeverHopper
ForeverHopper

Number of posts : 301

http://www.centralfloridapugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

What else goes into your pug's food? Empty Re: What else goes into your pug's food?

Post  Sara 3/17/2009, 12:59 am

Oh we do yogurt pretty often too (also Carter loves it)

I like to throw in a handful of blueberries or peas, both slow her down, give her some extra food without too many calories and antioxidants to boot!

I used to do coconut oil, but not anymore.

I don't put it in her food, but she also gets a joint supplement once a day, you can never start them too young, can you?!

Amanda needs to answer this and also post the picture her husband took a long time ago of his version of feeding the pugs! Please Amanda, find that picture!
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

What else goes into your pug's food? Empty Re: What else goes into your pug's food?

Post  Snifter&Toddy 3/18/2009, 9:07 am

I use goats milk yogurt. Sometimes cottage cheese. Sometimes a bit of veg, or mashed banana.

Am thinking about an oil or joint supplement.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 3/18/2009, 9:20 am

Our girls get pumpkin, plain yogurt and fish oil in every dinner. Sometimes if I'm in the middle of feeding Ava at the same time, I'll throw in some fruits and veggies if that's what I have out for her. I really do need to add in a joint supplement, especially for Nell. I think I keep forgetting how old she's getting.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 3/20/2009, 2:54 pm

Amanda wrote:Our girls get pumpkin, plain yogurt and fish oil in every dinner.

That's what mine get too. I also give them a bit of banana every now and then. It's bee and wasp season down here so they get a Benadryl every day in a small bit of chicken breast too. I try my hardest to keep them out of the yard, but it's not easy down here. The pollen is horrible already. Sorry, got a bit off track. Wink
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 3/20/2009, 8:47 pm

It's quite the routine feeding them here, because they all get different things and amounts!

All 3 get coconut oil
Hooli and Indy get yogurt and joint supps
Sophie gets flaxseed oils

They usually get veggies too.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PugMomTo2 3/21/2009, 9:29 pm

Daisy and Huck get plain yogurt, green beans and pumpkin with their dinner every day. I swear that the yogurt helps with their gas - it's practically nonexistent when they have yogurt - and one day without it has them tooting all over the house. They also get a joint supplement every day too.

Mary, Daisy and Huck
PugMomTo2
PugMomTo2

Number of posts : 83

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 3/22/2009, 8:02 am

My girls get fish oil with their food to help with Izzy's allergies.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 3/23/2009, 12:35 am

LisaIzzyAggy wrote:My girls get fish oil with their food to help with Izzy's allergies.

do you find the fish oil helpful? i need to start using it for Basil. he's been getting better on the Atopica, but still has some residual itching.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 3/25/2009, 10:48 pm

My guys get glucosamine/chondroitin and Ester C (1/2 tablet of each at each meal) and usually get either salmon oil (one squirt) or coconut oil (1 teaspoon) at each meal. Right now, I happen to be out of both coconut and salmon oil though. I'm thinking about adding a bit of plain yogurt.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mother Hubbard 3/27/2009, 8:40 am

In the am they get a spoonfull of pumpkin and probiotics and salmon oil. At night they get coconut oil added. Green beans or veggies occasionaly.
Old Mother Hubbard
Old Mother Hubbard

Number of posts : 257

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 3/27/2009, 12:14 pm

Twice a day I mix in a teaspoon of each non fat plain yogurt and organic pumpkin as well as a multi-vitamin supplement. In the evening, he gets a teaspoon of liquid Glucosamine and sometimes a benedryl.

Thurston LOVES Blueberries and I LOVE watching him trying to get the darned little rolling thing off of the floor with his smooshie face. Bad mommy! Razz
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 3/31/2009, 7:39 pm

I feed a raw diet so A LOT goes into their meals--but basic supplements are wild salmon oil (I buy it by the gallon and they get mega doses of it), goat yogourt, Acute Care (digestive enzyme), Sasha's Blend (joint supplement), ModuCare or L-Glutamine (immune booster), ground elk horn (joint support). And then there are whatever meds they happen to be on. Tank gets a thyroid pill twice a day. Lola gets Metacam depending on her knees on any given day.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 4/8/2009, 3:40 pm

Sara wrote:
Amanda needs to answer this and also post the picture her husband took a long time ago of his version of feeding the pugs! Please Amanda, find that picture!

I was just thinking about the post yesterday! LOL
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 4/8/2009, 3:46 pm

Newsie96 wrote:
Sara wrote:

I was just thinking about the post yesterday! LOL

I forgot all about this. I need to go find it........
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 4/8/2009, 4:40 pm

Sara wrote:

Found it! This is Kyle's attempt at being funny when I asked him to get out the dog food. If you'll notice, there's shampoo, Malaseb pledgets, Rescue Remedy, ear wash. He even has stuff in there that was for Hoover and it was after Hoover was gone (refer back to post about clueless husbands!) Sara, this was over 3 years ago. Good memory!
What else goes into your pug's food? Pic10
Amanda
Amanda

Back to top Go down

Post  ForeverHopper 4/8/2009, 10:24 pm

LOL!! that is too funny! This is something Andy would do too.
ForeverHopper
ForeverHopper

Number of posts : 301

http://www.centralfloridapugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsandkids 5/30/2009, 4:18 pm

I'm terrible, I just started adding Joint Formula, from our Grange. All it has in it is MSM, Glucosamine Sulfate, and Vit. C. It can be used for horses, dogs, or cats. I'm thinking I might try it too!

Occasionally they get baby carrots, and pumpkin, but not everyday...
pugsandkids
pugsandkids

Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 5/30/2009, 4:25 pm

I just started them on the Grizzly Salmon Oil last week - they each get two squirts with dinner. Kayla gets glucosamine pills - I try giving it to all three, but the other two pick out the pills and refuse to eat them, so Kayla hoovers them, thus getting three doses. So the only time Diesel and Grace get the glucosamine is when I put yogurt or pumpkin in their food so I can hide the pills.

For extras when I feel like it, they get plain yogurt or steamed broccoli and green beans. Pumpkin when someone has loose poop. A good summer treat is strawberries - Diesel's favorite.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsandkids 5/30/2009, 4:27 pm

dieselsmom wrote: Kayla gets glucosamine pills - I try giving it to all three, but the other two pick out the pills and refuse to eat them, so Kayla hoovers them, thus getting three doses. So the only time Diesel and Grace get the glucosamine is when I put yogurt or pumpkin in their food so I can hide the pills.

This is why I was so happy to find what I use. Its a powder, so you just dump it in their food and they have not noticed yet!
pugsandkids
pugsandkids

Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 5/30/2009, 4:29 pm

pugsandkids wrote:
dieselsmom wrote: Kayla gets glucosamine pills - I try giving it to all three, but the other two pick out the pills and refuse to eat them, so Kayla hoovers them, thus getting three doses. So the only time Diesel and Grace get the glucosamine is when I put yogurt or pumpkin in their food so I can hide the pills.

This is why I was so happy to find what I use. Its a powder, so you just dump it in their food and they have not noticed yet!

I need to get that. I've just put it off for a while now, but I know they all need the glucosamine, especially Grace.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 5/30/2009, 4:35 pm

Pearl has various intolerences so the only commercial food she can stomach is canned "Nature's Gift" which comes in lamb/pasta/vege, chicken/rice/vege or chicken/oats vege. It's a GREAT food and has absolutely nothing else added. She gets that morning and night and at night I add plain non-fat yogurt, grated carrot and fish oil. Imi gets the same dinner but has kibble for brekky. They both get fruit as treats and a chewie daily.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 5/30/2009, 6:52 pm

Tilly gets plain yogurt every morning with some Plaque Off on top.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  lindarpugma 5/31/2009, 11:49 am

All of mine (except Buddy) get an additive that lowers the ph in their urine and d-mannose powder to help prevent bladder infections. They eat Merrick Call of the Wild dog food that has glucosomine and chondroitin. They all love strawberries, apples and tangerines.
lindarpugma
lindarpugma

Number of posts : 593

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 5/31/2009, 12:40 pm

Yogurt, applesauce, banana, pumpkin, green beans. I give them a supplement in the morning. I've never tried peas or blueberries. I think they will be getting one of them tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next