Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curly...getting old - need senior pug advise

+4
Sara
Brenda
TNPUGMOMOF3
Javalita
8 posters

Go down

Curly...getting old - need senior pug advise Empty Curly...getting old - need senior pug advise

Post  Javalita 8/6/2009, 8:48 am

Just back from Ireland (great trip, lots of rain as usual) and up early. My aunt stayed at our house while we were gone for the 2 weeks and took care of the pugs.

The week before we left Curly started to change...it is almost like his old age is catching up with him. He can't really hold the pee and poop at all anymore. While we were still here last week we were bringing him out every 2 hours or so and there were still accidents.

He also seems to have gotten weaker in the back legs. He has always been weak back there, but right before we left he started stumbling more and just collapsing at the back legs.

His eye sight was also deteriorating, but seems to be even worse. He gets himself into trouble by getting caught under the kitchen chairs and fell onto our pool cover (it is safety so he just walks on it). I typically keep him on the grass at all times, but my aunt didn't know everything that we do. She also had 4 dogs to manage - my two and her two. We're home now, so that won't be happening anymore.

I feel like my little old man is starting to show his age. Crying or Very sad Any ideas of how to help him right now or what I can do to help manage things better? Any advise?

Thanks!
Javalita
Javalita

Number of posts : 964

Back to top Go down

Curly...getting old - need senior pug advise Empty Re: Curly...getting old - need senior pug advise

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 8/6/2009, 9:23 am

Is he taking supplements for arthritis, etc? That may help the mobility issues. The sight is just normal, but hard to watch. Just don't move stuff around. I think there are meds for bladder control also. Maybe ask your vet?
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Curly...getting old - need senior pug advise Empty Re: Curly...getting old - need senior pug advise

Post  Brenda 8/6/2009, 9:45 am

My Curly man! It's just so hard when these guys get older. :( Honestly what you were doing before you left is good. Supplements may help too. When Rocky aged he couldn't hold his poop, but could hold his pee. But, I also had to carry him outside and hold him up to go. I think it's just the things we have to do for them as they age.

For supplements, I'd try Glyco-Flex that you can get from www.kvvet.com or human glucosamine/chondrotin.
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 8/6/2009, 1:46 pm

Awww Poor Curly, I hope you can keep him comfortable, sorry I don't have senior advice. I hope you had a nice trip!
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 8/6/2009, 1:49 pm

Is there a vet nearby who does accupuncture? I found that helped Bailey for more than a year. I've also purchased doggie diapers for times when I will be gone for more than 3 hours at time. They have the tail hole cut out so that helps.

Also, is he on Anapril for the doggie dementia? I find that seems to help too.

I love the Curly man!! What a face!!
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 8/6/2009, 4:33 pm

Darling, sweet Curly. Good advice given - maybe even a belly-band for the pee? I'd also suggest getting a senior blood-work on him, and just have his pee checked for a UTI, just in case. He's lucky to have such a caring mum. hug dog I do love that precious guy......
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 8/6/2009, 10:05 pm

Jeannette--If he has been diagnosed with canine dementia, do get him on Anipryl. It did work for both Maude and Bob. It's not a cure, but does give you some time.

There's also a brain diet by Science Diet and while I'm not a fan of Science Diet, if he can tolerate it, I have heard really good things about it for dogs with dementia. Neither Bob nor Maude could use it due to their allergies.

Does your vet know if this is neurological or not? Sometimes prednisone will help with neurological issues of mobility, but I don't know if pred can be taken with Anipryl.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Javalita 8/7/2009, 8:51 am

He is fine! He is a little worse on the rear end stability and bathroom issues, but not that much different than before. My aunt is not used to his schedule and can't "read him" as well as I can. Yesterday, we had a very good day of no accidents in the house. Of course it helps that we have jet lag. My husband brought him out at midnight for the last potty and I was up at 5am.

I'm going to look into supplements for his back legs/arthritis. None of the pain meds have really been doing much, so I hate to go stronger. We'll see.

I'm not convinced he really has dementia. I think that his "confusion" is really mostly from losing his eyesight.

We had a good long cuddle in bed this morning, which he absolutely loved! I love that old man and just want to make him comfortable.

Thanks everyone for the advise!!!
Javalita
Javalita

Number of posts : 964

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 8/7/2009, 7:00 pm

When Pugsly had bladder surgery and had not gained control of his bladder after healing, I had him wear a belly band and place a human baby diaper inside of it since he was peeing a river. Never once did it leak. I did check him every couple of hours to make sure he had not soaked his diaper and took him out often so he could potty outside as well
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down