Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curly and his aches & pains

+7
smoochieface
northernwitch
Aussie Witch
Brenda
Amanda
LisaIzzyAggy
Javalita
11 posters

Go down

Curly and his aches & pains Empty Curly and his aches & pains

Post  Javalita 5/29/2009, 9:33 am

Curly has gone downhill lately. Really hobbling around, stumbling and sometimes falling over. He stands a lot and goes into this weird pose that looks like he is really suffering in pain.

We've been trying some things with our vet to help what we think is his arthritis. We tried rimadel (sp?) and it didn't help from what I could tell. Then we tried Metacam and he had very bad stomach problems and diarrhea. I stopped that immediately. Aspirin has done nothing either.

I feel so bad for him. He continues to follow me everywhere, even though I can tell it hurts him. I have been gating him in my bedroom for 4 hour periods lately so he'll get some sleep. But in the afternoon (when he starts wanting dinner) he will just bark and bark, never resting. I'm worried about him!

Any ideas?

Last edited by Javalita on 5/29/2009, 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Javalita
Javalita

Number of posts : 964

Back to top Go down

Curly and his aches & pains Empty Re: Curly and his aches & pains

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 5/29/2009, 9:46 am

I'm sorry Jeanette. I don't have any ideas other than the Rymadel but I hope you can find something that will help Curly feel better. hug dog
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 5/29/2009, 9:57 am

I'm sure others with senior pug experience will have more advice but would he enjoy a warm bath to relax his joints or perhaps would he lay on a blanket with a heating pad under it? Poor guy! I just love Curly!
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda 5/29/2009, 10:59 am

My poor Curly. :pale: Have you tried Glucosamin/Chodrotin. You can use the human kind, but I don't know the amounts off the top of my head. When Rocky got older we had him on some pretty powerful pain meds, I'll see if I can find them when I get home. Have you tried Previcox?
Brenda
Brenda

Number of posts : 2221

Back to top Go down

Post  Javalita 5/29/2009, 11:12 am

Amanda wrote:I'm sure others with senior pug experience will have more advice but would he enjoy a warm bath to relax his joints or perhaps would he lay on a blanket with a heating pad under it? Poor guy! I just love Curly!

There are two things that make Curly run like a puppy. Food and post-baths. I'm convinced that he does way more harm when he gets so excited. He actually tries to do pugtonas after a bath. So even though the bath probably calms him some, the aftermath undoes any good!
Javalita
Javalita

Back to top Go down

Post  Javalita 5/29/2009, 11:14 am

Brenda wrote:My poor Curly. :pale: Have you tried Glucosamin/Chodrotin. You can use the human kind, but I don't know the amounts off the top of my head. When Rocky got older we had him on some pretty powerful pain meds, I'll see if I can find them when I get home. Have you tried Previcox?

I tried Glucosamin from Trader Joe's and it didn't do much. Is Glucosamin/Chodrotin a special combo I should try? I will ask about Previcox.
Javalita
Javalita

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 5/29/2009, 2:57 pm

That dear old man - one of my favs. I would look into acupuncture. I hope you can find something that works. hug dog

Oh, and just a thought......from what you describe has the vet checked for spinal issues?
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 5/29/2009, 5:00 pm

Jeannette:
I just switched Lola to Previcox. She can't take Metacam or Rimadyl as it upsets her stomach and most of the Glucosamine products are a no-go as she has shell fish allergies and many are made from mussels, abalone, etc.
In a case of bad arthritis, supplements will help, but won't stop the pain. He needs pain relief. I have found Lola has done VERY well on Previcox. If he's really in agony, might be worth thinking about something stronger like Tramadol.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 5/29/2009, 5:09 pm

I don't have any advice to offer but just want to send you and Curly a big hug. I'm a HUGE fan of Curly!
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 5/29/2009, 5:56 pm

We've had good luck with Metacam. I'm sorry it doesn't work for Curly.
I also give Toby one of these:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+11248+19887&pcatid=19887
These have helped my old guy. I'll keep Curly in my prayers.

Last edited by MommaJones on 5/29/2009, 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fix link)
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  lola's mom 5/29/2009, 8:29 pm

Please hug Curly for me. I hope you can find something that helps him. He really makes my heart melt.
lola's mom
lola's mom

Number of posts : 785

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 5/29/2009, 9:37 pm

MommaJones wrote:We've had good luck with Metacam. I'm sorry it doesn't work for Curly.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+11248+19887&pcatid=19887
OK.... that LOOKS like a functional link to the Drs Foster & Smith site, but when I click it, it takes me back to the PA forum page. Any thoughts?
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 5/29/2009, 10:53 pm

GingerSnap wrote:
MommaJones wrote:We've had good luck with Metacam. I'm sorry it doesn't work for Curly.
OK.... that LOOKS like a functional link to the Drs Foster & Smith site, but when I click it, it takes me back to the PA forum page. Any thoughts?
I think I fixed it in my post. Let me know if it still doesn't work.
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  Javalita 5/29/2009, 11:08 pm

Thanks guys. Good info for calling the vet tomorrow. The link works too.

I'll let you know.
Javalita
Javalita

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 5/29/2009, 11:55 pm

There is an injection that can be given for dogs that have arthritis. I think it is Adequin. My vet that we had in Illinois give them to her pug that she adopted who has arthritis from bad hips and knees.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 5/30/2009, 7:28 am

Thanks for fixing the link, Christy! If I recall, someone (Rebecca & Pugs maybe?) posted awhile ago about a heat-reflecting blanket that she put in the bed of her oldsters and she said that it really helped with that stiffness upon waking. I can't remember where she got it, but if I recall, it was pretty inexpensive.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Javalita 5/30/2009, 9:43 am

GingerSnap wrote:Thanks for fixing the link, Christy! If I recall, someone (Rebecca & Pugs maybe?) posted awhile ago about a heat-reflecting blanket that she put in the bed of her oldsters and she said that it really helped with that stiffness upon waking. I can't remember where she got it, but if I recall, it was pretty inexpensive.

I have that! It doesn't seem to make much of a difference with my old man. Poor guy.
Javalita
Javalita

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down