Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help, advise, thoughts, suggestions

+9
Not Afraid
Cathy
Pugsavers
Sara
Amber
Pugsaunt
PugLady3
Aussie Witch
dieselsmom
13 posters

Go down

Need help, advise, thoughts, suggestions Empty Need help, advise, thoughts, suggestions

Post  dieselsmom 3/11/2010, 2:19 pm

My whole world lately revolves around Makayla and taking care of her. I ordered her wheelchair earlier this week but it will take a couple weeks to get it, since we're having it painted.

Anyway, this week, she's really started struggling to get up from a laying or sitting position - she's really losing strength in her back legs. She is on 25 mg of Deramaxx daily (although her DM is not painful, she still has hip displaysia and arthritis in her hips and at the base of her tail, so I'm sure she still is in pain). Our concern as of the past couple days is that she's not wanting to go outside to potty. She slips and falls and has a lot of instability in her back end - it seems like she gets upset with her legs and doesn't want to go outside because she knows she's going to slip and fall all over. So, she's down to peeing maybe once a day - even though she's eating and drinking normally. I'm hoping that her wheelchair will remedy this entire situation, by giving her stability when she's outside in her wheelchair.

But since her wheelchair won't be here for a couple more weeks, I'm at a loss of how to help her in the meantime. She needs to potty or she'll get UTIs and that's going to be a whole other issue!! So, does anyone have any advice on encouraging her to go out and potty these days until we get her wheelchair. Do you think getting a rear end harness/sling and using that would help in the meantime?

I talked to the vet (not my regular vet) and she said she wants to start her on a second pain med. I'm thinking she misunderstood since it seems to be the instability that upsets her, not that she's in pain and unable to move. Does that make sense? So I can't imagine what adding another pain med would do for her. We do have an appointment with her holistic vet tomorrow, so I will also talk to her about suggestions, but thought I'd post here too.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Need help, advise, thoughts, suggestions Empty Re: Need help, advise, thoughts, suggestions

Post  Aussie Witch 3/11/2010, 2:33 pm

Rachel, have you tried expressing her bladder? There are two methods I have tried with success, the first holding them over the loo and gently rubbing their vulva with a wet wad of toilet paper and the second gently expressing their bladder from their sides (this can also be done over the loo or easier to do outside on the grass - takes a bit of maneuvering to do it over the loo, but I had it down to a fine art with LouLou!). It is also much easier, of course, to do with a full bladder. It might be a good idea to get the vet to show you how to do it.

The very best of luck, hope you work something out. Need help, advise, thoughts, suggestions 335895
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Need help, advise, thoughts, suggestions Empty Re: Need help, advise, thoughts, suggestions

Post  PugLady3 3/11/2010, 4:05 pm

I was going to suggest expressing her bladder too. We have to do it several times per day with Yoda and I do it on occasian with Bella too when she's being stubborn (she'd just as soon pee in the house then go outside and dirty her precious little paws Need help, advise, thoughts, suggestions Icon_rolleyes ). It's really very easy once you get the hang of it.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/Articles/express/expressprint.htm
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 3/11/2010, 4:37 pm

No advice, just hugs for you and Makayla.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 3/11/2010, 4:53 pm

Pugsaunt wrote:No advice, just hugs for you and Makayla.

What Nancy said. Hug
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 3/11/2010, 5:13 pm

Sending more hugs and hope you can find some cheer for the little girl :)
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 3/11/2010, 5:41 pm

I've got a rear end sling that someone sent me for Bailey about 2 years ago. I'd be happy to send it to you to give a try. Just PM me your address.

Hugs to you during this time...I so know what you are going through and it is a great change in everything in your life when things like this happen.
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy 3/11/2010, 5:42 pm

No advice, just hugs for you and Makayla. Need help, advise, thoughts, suggestions 27965
Cathy
Cathy

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 3/11/2010, 5:42 pm

No advice, just a big hug.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/11/2010, 5:52 pm

Roxane's suggestion on the sling is excellent. It is fairly difficult to express a dog that still has bladder control. Can be done, but much more difficult than the 5 I do several times every day.

Till you get the cart, or sling, you can use a towel roll. Take a long skinny towel, roll it up as tight as you can, put some tape around it to keep it rolled, and put a lead on Makayla, put the towel roll just in front of her hind legs, and support her that way. You can allow her to take all her weight, or just a little, however she is feeling that day. This is a lot easier on girls then boys as you can imagine. But it will give her the stability and confidence she will need.

I got all my carts in 4-5 days so hopefully the painting won't take that long. All mine are just the straight aluminum.

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 3/11/2010, 6:22 pm

Roxanne,
Do you know what brand the sling is? I'm been thinking of getting one for Chyna

Pugsavers wrote:I've got a rear end sling that someone sent me for Bailey about 2 years ago. I'd be happy to send it to you to give a try. Just PM me your address.

Hugs to you during this time...I so know what you are going through and it is a great change in everything in your life when things like this happen.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  MommaJones 3/11/2010, 6:30 pm

PUGSMUM wrote: Till you get the cart, or sling, you can use a towel roll. Take a long skinny towel, roll it up as tight as you can, put some tape around it to keep it rolled, and put a lead on Makayla, put the towel roll just in front of her hind legs, and support her that way. You can allow her to take all her weight, or just a little, however she is feeling that day. This is a lot easier on girls then boys as you can imagine. But it will give her the stability and confidence she will need.

I was just going to suggest this a temporary alternative. I hope you find a workable solution. Hugs to you both. Need help, advise, thoughts, suggestions 335895
MommaJones
MommaJones

Number of posts : 3761

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 3/11/2010, 8:41 pm

Pugsavers wrote:I've got a rear end sling that someone sent me for Bailey about 2 years ago. I'd be happy to send it to you to give a try. Just PM me your address.

Roxanne, I sent you a PM with my addy. Thank you for the offer and we'll make sure that when we no longer need it, it finds it's way back to you.

Yes, it's a huge change in our life - it's very different to go from having three able bodied pugs who have no trouble getting around to having one who's losing her ability to move on her own. But we're learning to adjust, learning what she needs help with and how to help her.

PUGSMUM wrote:Roxane's suggestion on the sling is excellent. It is fairly difficult to express a dog that still has bladder control. Can be done, but much more difficult than the 5 I do several times every day.

Till you get the cart, or sling, you can use a towel roll. Take a long skinny towel, roll it up as tight as you can, put some tape around it to keep it rolled, and put a lead on Makayla, put the towel roll just in front of her hind legs, and support her that way. You can allow her to take all her weight, or just a little, however she is feeling that day. This is a lot easier on girls then boys as you can imagine. But it will give her the stability and confidence she will need.

I got all my carts in 4-5 days so hopefully the painting won't take that long. All mine are just the straight aluminum.

I carried Kayla out and put her in the grass to do her business tonight - didn't have a towel sling yet cuz she HAD to go as soon as I got home from work. I will be sure to use the towel though - she's falling backwards more and more when she assumes the position to pee or poop and I think that's what's frustrating her and making her not want to try to potty. Hopefully, using the towel and then the sling from Roxane, we'll be able to get this figured out.

Joan, they had the parts made for her wheelchair yesterday and were going to send them out to the painter either yesterday or today and expect it may take up to two weeks to get the parts back from the painter so they can assemble her chair. I thought we still had enough time til we needed it, but this has been a tough week for Kayla. I also am hoping that tomorrow's Bicom therapy will help, since it's been 2 weeks since she had a Bicom session.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/12/2010, 12:03 am

YOu ordered from doggon carts? They could send you the harness c/w the carrier handles that come with it. the saddle just clips into the cart with 4 snaps and comes with long straps with handles that would be perfect for right now. This s separate and would not have gone out for paint. somewhere I have some pics that I posted on my liver site for someone, will see if I still have them on computer.

Okay here they are, Peanut in the saddle, the saddle c/w straps and handles, and saddle back in the cart.

Just call doggon and get them to express the harness, saddle etc. You should have it Monday

BTW why did you want it painted, I actually never know they even did that. I am always in such a rush to get them when we get a new rescue it that I probably wouldn't wait anyway.

Need help, advise, thoughts, suggestions Ry%3D480

Need help, advise, thoughts, suggestions Ry%3D480

Need help, advise, thoughts, suggestions Ry%3D400

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 3/12/2010, 1:53 pm

I think that using some type of sling for now would be good. I would think that the more she slips and falls the more it is going to effect her hips and back. Good luck!
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 3/14/2010, 6:02 pm

PUGSMUM wrote:BTW why did you want it painted, I actually never know they even did that. I am always in such a rush to get them when we get a new rescue it that I probably wouldn't wait anyway.

I saw on their site that they now do paint the carts and thought if Kayla has to use wheels, she's going to have a cool paintjob on her wheels! I thought we'd have a little more time before we'd need them, this was just a tough week for her and she really needs more stability. Roxanne has sent us her harness to use for now, so I think that will get us through until her wheels arrive. She has had a better weekend - it's warnmed up out and we've been spending more time outside getting fresh air and getting her moving around which has really put her in a good mood.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 3/14/2010, 6:40 pm

Over 25 years ago, we had a lab with a herniated disc. We had to use a towel as a sling as well to help him with the potty. It is amazing the resources that are available now to assist with these issues.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/1/2010, 4:38 pm

Rachel how is Makayla doing? You should have her cart by now, and I was wondering how she likes it, and how the paint job came out?
Hope I'm not being nosey! Hugs Joan

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 4/1/2010, 8:15 pm

PUGSMUM wrote:Rachel how is Makayla doing? You should have her cart by now, and I was wondering how she likes it, and how the paint job came out?
Hope I'm not being nosey! Hugs Joan

Not being nosey at all, Joan. Makayla is doing ok. She's lost a lot of muscle mass in her back end and is a lot weaker as a result. I'm hoping getting her in the cart and walking will help at least maintain the muscle she has left.

Her cart will be here either tomorrow or Monday. It took a little longer at the painters than they expect, but Lori was very nice - she upgraded shipping for free - can't rave enough about their awesome customer service. So I'm hoping it comes tomorrow so we have the weekend to adjust to it.

Anyway, she spends a lot more time laying down in the evenings. I've realized that I need to be more vigilant about getting more water into her in the evenings, or we'll be worrying about UTIs. She's restless through the night so we're not sleeping much. We're usually up about 3-4 times during the night. She's on Tramadol, though she's usually not in any pain. Her DM is not painful, but I have to remind myself she still has hip displaysia and arthritis in her back end, so I'm sure there's days when she's sore.

We're continuing her bioresonance therapy, now once every two weeks. She tolerates the sessions pretty well. It doesn't help her walking or weakness, but she has regained the poop sensation. She doesn't always have a lot of warning time, but every time she starts going, she immediately notices she's going. Whereas, before she would just poop without ever realizing she had pooped. So she's at least got some nerve sensation back. So we'll keep doing her bioresonance as long as we can afford to.

I think that's about it. We're still holding our own here, taking it day by day. I try not to look too far ahead, there's no use worrying about what's to come - we just live every day so that we remember to enjoy it and make happy memories!
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 4/1/2010, 9:01 pm

I forgot to mention that every once in a while it hits me the things Kayla used to do that she's no longer able to do. She always used to get so excited whenever I came home (from work, from errands, whatever!) and she'd jump up, put her front legs on my legs and scratch me like a mad woman. It used to make me crazy and I always hated when she did that - especially when I wore a skirt with tights, since she always ruined my tights.

Yesterday I had a skirt and tights on. As I got home, I realized I had tights on and had to be careful about Kayla ruining them. Then I walked in the door and realized that I don't remember when she last did that - she can't do it anymore - there's no way her back legs are strong enough to do that. I always wanted her to quit scratching my legs - but this wasn't the way I wanted it to happen. Need help, advise, thoughts, suggestions Icon_cry
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 4/2/2010, 10:01 am

No one would want this, but you are doing well getting thru it all. One thing I have not had to deal with, is think of what used to be. All of my handicaps were rescues, and they have either stayed the same (2) or improved (3). Life is never fair, or else our pets would have the same life span as we do.

Hope she likes the cart. I have never had trouble, just snap them in like you expected them to just take off, and make sure she is outside at the time. You will find that it takes practice for them to clear things like coffee tables, end end tables. They will hook stuff with their wheels, and just keep on going. We use the carts pretty much exclusively outdoors, except for eating, they seem to like to stand when eating, and then we take them out.

If you are doubtful she will take to the cart, I would wait till she really wants to go somewhere, if the other dogs run off and bark at something, she is most likely not to even think about it, and just take off. As I say, ours just have loved them from the very first, pugs are so independent!

Cant wait to see pics of her in the painted cart. If you need anything once it arrives, send me a pm. I moderate a diabetic board, and it takes a lot more time and energy than I had expected, so not here as much as I used to.

Hugs Joan.............give her a kiss from my herd.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down