Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any suggestions for getting my pugs to eat??

+5
Snifter&Toddy
Pugsaunt
smoochieface
papaspugs
Pugsavers
9 posters

Go down

Any suggestions for getting my pugs to eat?? Empty Any suggestions for getting my pugs to eat??

Post  Pugsavers 9/12/2009, 9:14 pm

I know, this is a rare thing for pugs, but both Bailey and Tiny Tim have gotten beyond picky these days. I wet food in the AM and I cook for them in the evenings (usually turkey or chicken along w/ brown rice and a veggie).

Bailey goes through these spurts when he just will turn his nose up at almost everything. Even salmon which he used to love. Timmy too. I go through a selection of foods to finally find something they like, which is often turkey hot dogs. I feel like I have 2 toddlers!

They're not keen on baby food either. And when they do eat, I have to hand feed them. Even though they can reach the food and get it themselves..I think they just have me trained.

Any suggestions for things that might tempt them I'd love to hear!
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Any suggestions for getting my pugs to eat?? Empty Re: Any suggestions for getting my pugs to eat??

Post  papaspugs 9/12/2009, 9:27 pm

Baby Girl doesn't have any teeth so I soak her food in water. I top it with Low Fat Plain Yogurt. Or do you think that you could add cottage cheese to their food?
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Any suggestions for getting my pugs to eat?? Empty Re: Any suggestions for getting my pugs to eat??

Post  smoochieface 9/13/2009, 3:15 am

that's a tough one, Roxane. Have you tried rice lightly soaked in slightly warmed low sodium chicken broth? Or Cheerios?
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/13/2009, 3:36 am

Penny's not picky at all. If it will hold still long enough, she will eat it. The couple of times that she has been off her feed, she will always eat sticky rice cooked in low sodium chicken broth. I make it extra soupy, and she just inhales it.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 9/13/2009, 6:52 am

If I've ever needed to entice mine to eat I find that warm and gloopy goes down best.
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 9/13/2009, 8:40 am

Take a dab of peanut butter and microwave it so it gets sort of runny, then mix it in with their food. I bet they will eat it. You can get all natural no salt added peanut butter at the fresh market or whole foods. The oil is great for the coats too. Don't over do it, just a dab.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  lindarpugma 9/13/2009, 10:31 am

Don't mean to be a wet blanket but some brands of chicken broth and some baby food has onions listed in the ingredients :(
lindarpugma
lindarpugma

Number of posts : 593

Back to top Go down

Post  Javalita 9/13/2009, 11:23 am

Not sure if this is a healthy option, but maybe you could use a bit to entice them to eat whatever else you have hidden underneath. Catfood...
Javalita
Javalita

Number of posts : 964

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 9/13/2009, 6:58 pm

I now have three babies who will eat anything. However, Taz whom we recently lost was the most picky little eater his entire life. He would eat fine for a couple of meals then turn up his nose. So, I would give him hamburger and rice which he loved, but after a couple of meals he would stop eating that also. He also preferred to be hand fed quite often. Yes, I catered to his wants even if he was driving me batty!!
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down