Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting a pug to poop?

+5
Pugsaunt
Sara
Rebecca and the Pugs
pugmom
Pugsavers
9 posters

Go down

Anyone have any suggestions for getting a pug to poop? Empty Anyone have any suggestions for getting a pug to poop?

Post  Pugsavers 2/9/2010, 10:32 pm

Poor Bailey...he just can't catch a break.

He hasn't pooped since last Friday. He doesn't go too much because he doesn't move too much (just his head and shoulders and I stimulate his back feet to "paddle" several times a day).

With his distended tummy it's making it harder for him to breathe. He's eating great and I have him on Baby Gas-X and am putting warm compresses on his butt, but so far nothing.

Ideas? Discuss.
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Anyone have any suggestions for getting a pug to poop? Empty Re: Anyone have any suggestions for getting a pug to poop?

Post  pugmom 2/9/2010, 11:05 pm

I am a strong believer in some fiber. I give my senior pug PLAIN canned pumpkin once every day. About a teaspoon.
It not only keeps his poops firm but helps in keeping him regular. Plain non-fat yogurt is also good for the digestive system. My pug gets a heaping teaspoon of yogurt twice a day with his kibble.

Can you give your vet a call? They might have some suggestions.
pugmom
pugmom

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Anyone have any suggestions for getting a pug to poop? Empty Re: Anyone have any suggestions for getting a pug to poop?

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 2/10/2010, 1:10 am

Roxane... Joan had posted about a massage technique to help them to poop. Let me see if I can find it, or she may pop back on to find it quicker than me.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 2/10/2010, 1:16 am

Rebecca and the Pugs wrote:Roxane... Joan had posted about a massage technique to help them to poop. Let me see if I can find it, or she may pop back on to find it quicker than me.

Found it... from Joan (pugsmum)
Rachel, this won't help the dm, but it will help your house and Mikayla's dignity.

With all our handicapped pugs, I stimulate the bowels twice every day outside, and they will pretty much poop on demand. That will practically eliminate the accidents in the house and in their beds. Just rub their bum gently in a circular motion, and they will poop in less than a minute. It takes a bit of practice, but once you get the hang of it, easy and quick. I have seen a video of how to do it somewhere, I will go and see if I can find it, and post it back here.

any questions, let me know. Joan

found it, it gives lots of different methods, I use the rubbing on all 5, and it is really a life saver.

[url=http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Bowel_management_in_incontinent_pets
http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Bowel_management_in_incontinent_pets[/quote[/url]]
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/10/2010, 1:22 am

Thanks for posting that for me. If you have any trouble let me know. I also use benefiber about 1/2 tsp each meal to help the handicapped ones. Omega 3 oil is good too, similar to older people that need a bit of help. lack of exercise can cause this as well, so you may have the same type of problems that I have. Your pug I meant!

|the handicapped site is great, they have stickies for poop and pee and lots of tricks to help.

Joan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 2/10/2010, 1:35 am

I wonder if a pediatric suppository would also be effective on a pug? If he's really impacted nothing you put in his mouth will help, but I hope it's not that bad.

But I regularly give Carter (human) ground up flax seed and omega 3 to help keep him regular. I hope Bailey feels better soon.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 2/10/2010, 2:25 am

Poor Bailey and poor you, Roxane! I sure hope that something works soon.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 2/10/2010, 4:14 am

Hope it all moves through soon! Poor little guy...... Anyone have any suggestions for getting a pug to poop? 335895
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/10/2010, 10:32 am

If the manual expression doesn't work, a baby enema can work. Warm it very slightly and as long as you do not put too much pressure you will be fine.
They can work pretty quickly sometimes, so outside or on a large peepad would be a good idea.

BTW a few of mine will poop as soon as you put a thermometer in, might be worth a try.

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 2/10/2010, 10:48 am

I'd try these
http://www.pedia-lax.com/Liquid-Glycerin-Suppositories.php they worked wonders on my young son.

Poor Bailey, I hope it's all better soon.
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  pugdad michael 2/10/2010, 3:22 pm

Just bring Bailey to the Pugdadpad. Our kitchen floor seems to suck poop right out of Pugs! Anyone have any suggestions for getting a pug to poop? Icon_rolleyes

(I'm sorry. I didn't really have anything to add! Sounds like you've got some good suggestions already. Hope something works for sweet Bailey! Pug hugs!)
pugdad michael
pugdad michael

Number of posts : 171

http://www.CafePress.com/RainbowPugs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/10/2010, 8:13 pm

aw poor lil one. that's no fun.
I would suggest some fiber and flax oil. should help?
good luck! sending positive vibes your doggies way!

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 2/11/2010, 12:51 pm

I'm lucky I haven't been arrested for beastiality! I did several of the things suggested by the handicapped dogs site as far as puckering the butt by hand...no luck. Finally I tried the one where they said to put a little vaseline on a cotton ball and stick it in the butt a little. Still nothing. Then I removed it and did the "manipulation" and yay...we had poop!!

Thanks everyone for the advice and support. It's amazing how your life can devolve when your pugs age....
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 2/12/2010, 5:31 pm

See Roxanne, you learn something new every day!! Way to go, you are a dedicated furmom.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 2/12/2010, 11:43 pm

That is such a relief! You know, we are all dedicated pugpeople. Nobody else would discuss poop at such length!
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Snifter&Toddy 2/13/2010, 11:24 am

Nothing like pug people for rejoicing about a poop report!

Glad he managed in the end. Anyone have any suggestions for getting a pug to poop? 335895
Snifter&Toddy
Snifter&Toddy

Number of posts : 2071

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down