Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Won't Poop in Snow?

+6
Saira
Pugsaunt
Lilos Mom
pugsandkids
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Maryjo
10 posters

Go down

Won't Poop in Snow? Empty Won't Poop in Snow?

Post  Maryjo 12/8/2009, 8:37 pm

A pug-party friend has Bella, a rescued chihuahua/pug mix. She is a sweet thing, about 2 years old, but stubborn! Alex moved up here from Washington last summer.

He walks Bella night and day. She'll pee in the snow, but won't poop. She won't poop indoors, and he is at his wits end. When she finally does poop, it is a bad mess. He's been to the vet, everything seems fine, she is just a stubborn girl!

Any ideas that might help? He can hardly sleep because he is afraid she'll get sick or burst or something. He really loves this stubborn little girl.

Here is Bella, with Chloe, enjoying some bullystick time at the July 4th BBQ we had last summer:
Won't Poop in Snow? B8108

He's tried walking her with or without a coat and booties, he's let her run in the backyard off leash, too. She was fine until the snow came. Silly girl!
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Won't Poop in Snow? Empty Re: Won't Poop in Snow?

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 12/8/2009, 8:40 pm

Can he shovel a small part so the grass is showing for her to go on?
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsandkids 12/8/2009, 8:42 pm

Gosh, the only thing I can think of is some heavy treating when she does go! Too bad this is only a snow thing, too bad he moved to ALASKA. Poor girl, poor owner. It'll be interesting to see what responses you get.
pugsandkids
pugsandkids

Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 12/8/2009, 8:50 pm

Tyson&LuLu'sMom wrote:Can he shovel a small part so the grass is showing for her to go on?
I hadn't thought of that. Our snow at the moment is like ice, pretty horrible.

I emailed and asked him to join Pug Authority and I hope he does. There is so much knowledge here!

Won't Poop in Snow? 335895
Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 12/8/2009, 8:58 pm

pugsandkids wrote:Gosh, the only thing I can think of is some heavy treating when she does go! Too bad this is only a snow thing, too bad he moved to ALASKA. Poor girl, poor owner. It'll be interesting to see what responses you get.

I would resent that remark of too bad he moved to Alaska, but I assume you are joking.

He just emailed me and said his stubborn girl pooped outside four times this morning. She gave in. *LOL* The vet recommended canned pumpkin to keep her regular. I don't know why I didn't suggest that, our gang gets it every night!
Maryjo
Maryjo

Back to top Go down

Post  pugsandkids 12/8/2009, 9:25 pm

Maryjo wrote:
pugsandkids wrote:Gosh, the only thing I can think of is some heavy treating when she does go! Too bad this is only a snow thing, too bad he moved to ALASKA. Poor girl, poor owner. It'll be interesting to see what responses you get.

I would resent that remark of too bad he moved to Alaska, but I assume you are joking.

He just emailed me and said his stubborn girl pooped outside four times this morning. She gave in. *LOL* The vet recommended canned pumpkin to keep her regular. I don't know why I didn't suggest that, our gang gets it every night!

Of course I'm joking MJ. I myself would love to visit/live in Alaska. I was just thinking that its such an ironic thing for a dog in Alaska to do!

I hope the pumpkin keeps doing the trick.
pugsandkids
pugsandkids

Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 12/8/2009, 10:10 pm

I think if he's able to the shoveling will help. We make all kinds of little tunnels through the backyard at Jerrys house for them to go. I hope he joins the group too!!
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 12/9/2009, 12:10 am

We have a bunch of snow here, and Penny Lane is on modified potty strike. All day Sunday, it was dash outside and do her business at the speed of light. Yesterday, she would go from one side of the breezeway to the other, hoping that the snow had vanished while she was going from side to side. Today, she peed a flood, but no poop. Tonight, she took a trememdous dump, but wouldn't pee. The first time she ever saw snow, she went 36 hours without any potty action. She'd get to the end of the porch and refuse to go further. When she finally did go, it was amazing. I was just about ready to take her to the vet. So I empathize with Alex.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 12/9/2009, 1:11 am

I know mine would strike if we ever got snow too! Although they wouldn't hesitate to go inside. I would try shoveling too-when we took Hooli up to Mammoth Lakes and it snowed, he would only go if Ken shoveled him a path. I heard of someone putting down hay for their dogs over the snow too.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 12/9/2009, 3:33 am

I wish I had something useful to offer, but Bruno is over 8 years old and still won't pee in the rain. I once designed and built a wooden canopy over a patch of sod for Chester and Bruno so they could be protected from the elements the 10 days out of the year it rains. Chester used it but Bruno refused to travel the 12 inches from the dog door to the sod. We keep a doggie litter box filled with pine shavings in the garage and bring it in on rainy days just for Bruno. So best of luck to your friend. He's a better person than me if he gets over this hurdle.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 12/9/2009, 9:23 am

When we lived in Illinois, Pugsly and Taz would not walk in the snow. I had to shovel big areas for them because a small area wasn't good enough. I would shovel an area then a small trail which let to another large area. You could also see about getting some straw to put out especially if it is icy. It will help with getting the paws in the snow plus give some traction if it is icy
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 12/9/2009, 2:58 pm

aw, poor both of them! i hope she just starts doing it..
is there anywhere she can do it for the winter until she gets used to the snow..such as a mat in a garage if he has one? or elsewhere not covered in snow?

hmm..this is a tough one.

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 12/9/2009, 3:12 pm

Every winter I (and Kim W.) shovel out half the yard--affectionately known by me and Kim as Yellow Snow Square. And as a breed, chis are more prone to getting cold fast and many will refuse to potty outdoors when cold.

glad that she caved in, finally.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pugmom 1/14/2010, 9:30 pm

Two of my grand pugs are very funny. In the beginning of the winter when it snows they hate to poop in/on the snow. Finally they give in and are fine.
By the end of winter as the snow is disappearing they run looking for the snow to do their poops. Won't Poop in Snow? Icon_lol
pugmom
pugmom

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down