Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poop eater!

+10
Renee
Pugsaunt
northernwitch
DeeAnn
pugmom
leslyeb
Lilos Mom
BDazzpugs
pugasaurus
Newsie96
14 posters

Go down

Poop eater! Empty Poop eater!

Post  Newsie96 11/13/2009, 9:08 am

I don't know if Duke's done this before, but I just caught him eating Murphy's poop off the pee pad. I'm so grossed out! I immediately brushed his teeth.

I know this may mean there is a decifiency in his diet and there are remedies. Can anyone offer some advice?

Poop eater! 19458
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Poop eater! Empty Re: Poop eater!

Post  Guest 11/16/2009, 12:41 am

theres a WHOLE conversation about poop eaters in the topic of, "A day in the life" by me, i think its in the middle some where on the first page

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 11/16/2009, 1:44 am

I think dogs eat poop because it tastes good. (To them.) I'm surprised at the sheer number of dogs who eat poop, when I was doing all the dog training classes one person would always ask what to do about it, then a few more people would chime in too, so I think it's a dog thang.

I have a house full of rescues and the old-timers teach any new dogs that come about the joys of between meal snacks. And the only one of my dogs who won't eat poop is Eli Wayne Gacy, take what you will from that!

The best thing is to clean up after the dogs. I've had to race across the yard with pooper-scoopers flailing, but it's better than Forbid or any of the other additives that are supposed to make poop taste bad, seriously, it's poop, can it be made to taste worse?

And a few of mine are hard-core poop eaters, my dogs eat well, so I doubt that they're missing anything from their diet.

I think dogs eat poop because it "used" to be food, dogs descend from scavengers and most pariah dogs eat poop any chance they get. And pugs seem to be more adamant than other breeds about eating poop too, I think because they are so greedy.

Wish I had better advice to offer. But I think it's part and parcel of being a dog. I'm not keen on dead birds or dirty underwear, but show me a dog who's not!
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 11/16/2009, 9:28 am

I would have to agree. Anytime you have more than one this is GOING to happen. We have to remember that as much as we think of our pugs as children, they are DOGS. Dogs have natural instincts that many of us will never accept. Just remember to scoop when they poop and you wont have to get grossed out! LOL
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  Lilos Mom 11/16/2009, 7:42 pm

We've got a master trainer we work with and I remember at one of our training weekends someone asked him about poop eating and he said "have you ever walked through the woods and found poop?" and I remember sitting there thinking no I never really have...and he said it's because it's either eaten by the animal who pooped to cover their scent or another animal. It's only gross to us humans it's a totally natural thing for animals.

I'm always outside poop scooping as soon they go and giving praise, etc I've had many rescue fosters who ate poop over the years I've just stopped freaking out about it anymore.
Lilos Mom
Lilos Mom

Number of posts : 714

Back to top Go down

Post  leslyeb 11/17/2009, 1:30 pm

I've fostered pugs who have eaten poop, but I have some how gotten lucky in that all of mine act as if it is a bomb waiting to go off when they see it. (I hope they continue to think that way)

I will have to say though that Taz who was the pickiest eater in the world loved it when he found deer, rabbit or goose poop.
leslyeb
leslyeb

Number of posts : 707

Back to top Go down

Post  pugmom 1/14/2010, 9:42 pm

Although the poop eating turns my stomach, I have finally come to accept it a the ONE thing I do not like about my Ty and my three grand pugs. They will all eat poop it given the chance. With the female, Pepper being by far the worst.
She actually hunts for poop! Poop eater! 253213 It is her favorite summertime activity. We try to keep the poop scooped up but my grand pugs live on seven acres...............and we do not always see them leaving the deposits. Poop eater! 6260
pugmom
pugmom

Number of posts : 956

Back to top Go down

Poop eater! Empty Re: Poop Eating Pugs

Post  Guest 6/24/2010, 7:05 pm

My older pug, Louie, was a maniacal poop eater. He was defiant and willful and aggressive about getting in as much poop as he could on our walks around the neighborhood. No only was I disgusted but I was worried about all the horrible viruses and bacteria and bugs he could pick up, and he did. He became violently ill several times with gastroenteritis (garbage gut). It was the dark side of Pugs I did not know about. It caused a lot of conflict between us. When he was indoors he was the sweetest angel, but the minute we walked out that door, he became demonic in his pursuit of poop. The worst part was that often he would come home after having scarfed as much poop as he could get his paws on, and then he would walk right into the living room and up chuck it right onto my clean white berber rug. You would think that I could prevent him from consuming all that stuff, but it was all out war, and he always won. Sorry for all the yukky details but I need to vent about my frustration on this point. But even so, I am a pug person and cannot live without them.

Last edited by Doodikins on 6/25/2010, 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : errors)

Back to top Go down

Post  DeeAnn 6/24/2010, 7:10 pm

I have to admit Lola is a poop eater also..I know I about puked the first time...I have tried the poop pills,pumkin,ect nothing works but cleaning it up...I dont gag as much now as I did.
DeeAnn
DeeAnn

Number of posts : 991

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 6/24/2010, 7:36 pm

Coprophagia. Really common. Not much you can do about it except watch them like a hawk. I don't let poop accumulate in my yard (not that I'd want to with 6 in the house right now). I don't have any dedicated poop eaters, but I still keep an eye on them all and pick up immediately.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 6/24/2010, 7:46 pm

I'm so thankful that Penny has never gone in for poop.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 6/24/2010, 8:50 pm

Well, none of my three are dedicated poop eaters, although, occasionally Skeeter's goes in for a winter time poopsicle! LOL I was a little worried when we swtiched to raw that the poop would become more enticing, but fortunately, for my three it didn't. However, I did have one rescue that would exclusively eat poop from when the pugs ate Honest Kitchen. He would not eat the morning poop from the kibble....but, he did like that evening snack.

We just got good about watching him to stop before he could get to it.

Unfortunately, the only sure fire remedy I've ever heard is scoop the poop right away. Not so good for those lazy people that don't want to be out scooping poo when it is 10 degrees in the dead of winter.
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 6/24/2010, 8:52 pm

northernwitch wrote:Coprophagia. Really common. Not much you can do about it except watch them like a hawk. I don't let poop accumulate in my yard (not that I'd want to with 6 in the house right now). I don't have any dedicated poop eaters, but I still keep an eye on them all and pick up immediately.

Hooli is a sometimes poop eater. But even then, he's a snob-he only eats his own poop.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Javalita 6/24/2010, 11:39 pm

Ruby is a card-carrying poop eater. She prefers them warm, directly from the "oven."

Nothing has worked except for watching her like a hawk and picking it up immediately after she goes. We tried praise when she left it. We tried scolding her. We tried those pills that make it taste bad. Those made her scale back on the munching, but she still ate some.

So now we are like crazy people chasing a pooping dog. I'm sure my neighbors get a good laugh.
Javalita
Javalita

Number of posts : 964

Back to top Go down

Post  pugasaurus 6/25/2010, 12:01 am

Javalita wrote:Ruby is a card-carrying poop eater. She prefers them warm, directly from the "oven."

Nothing has worked except for watching her like a hawk and picking it up immediately after she goes. We tried praise when she left it. We tried scolding her. We tried those pills that make it taste bad. Those made her scale back on the munching, but she still ate some.

So now we are like crazy people chasing a pooping dog. I'm sure my neighbors get a good laugh.

Lacey got "skid marks" on her forehead from eating turds warm from the oven. She only got skid marks at night, so I had to take a flashlight and find out how she managed to get them. I was sorry I was so curious. Poop eater! Icon_eek

She had to be sanitized when she came back in, luckily she quit getting the skid marks after a few months.
pugasaurus
pugasaurus

Number of posts : 1117

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 6/25/2010, 2:09 am

Thurston likes cat poop. Nothing's better that old, crunchy cat poop that probably has been collecting bugs for hours. If that can't be found, his own poop will do. I know the pattern, though and I have gotten pretty good about knowing when his poop signal goes off.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 6/25/2010, 7:33 am

Imi came to me as a dedicated poop-eater (and founder of the "I.T.T.A" - International Turd Tasters Association) but I am VERY happy to report that her turd tasting has diminished to almost never now. Note I said ALMOST never. Every few months on a walk I'll find her homing in on some and it's being munched before I get a chance to stop her.

Pearl was a rushee for the turd-tasting sorority but didn't get past the pledging process.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down