Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weight loss and joints

4 posters

Go down

Weight loss and joints Empty Weight loss and joints

Post  Amanda 8/10/2009, 11:59 am

The steroids that Nell was on for her allergies caused her to gain weight. We knew it would happen and it's only a few pounds but she seems to be having alot of trouble handling it so I need to get it off. We're trying a different med so she's not on the steroid right now. I'm hoping we won't have to put her back on it.

Anyway, I was going to do the green bean thing but what percentage of their food do you replace with green beans? I already feel like we don't feed her that much. It's not as if she gained weight from overfeeding and it's obvious that her meals need to be decreased. I know exercise will help but with the weather being as hot as it is right now and her acting like she hurts, I'm not going to drag her around the block. After she drops a little weight and I get some joint supplement in her system, then I'll get her out walking.

Also, what do you suggest for a joint supplement? Besides the weight issue, she should be on something as prevention. It probably wouldn't hurt Lucy either. I think I'm in denial that Nell is getting older. She'll be 8 next month!
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Weight loss and joints Empty Re: Weight loss and joints

Post  GingerSnap 8/10/2009, 1:35 pm

I use plain old generic glucosamine/chondroitin and Ester C from the drug store, but my guys are incredibly easy to pill-- I just put it on their kibble, and it's inhaled in about 4.2 seconds flat with everything else. The dose I buy is the 500mg glucosamine/400mg chondroitin and 500mg Ester C. They get 1/2 tablet twice a day.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 8/10/2009, 2:11 pm

I think green beans and broccoli are about 30 calories for every 1/2 cup. I give broccoli instead of grean beans but I don't think there is any difference and the green beans may actually have more fiber. So I don't have a formula. To tell the truth, since I feed them all at the same time, Chester gets the least amount, Bruno gets a medium serving and Leo gets a full half cup. I try to time it so that Chester finishes first and Leo last because otherwise Leo is always trying to body check Chester out of his food.

For the joint stuff, if the girls don't like taking pills, you can try Synflex -- order off the Internet. It's liquid, human pharmaceutical grade, and tastes like apple. I just spoon a very small amount over their kibble and they lap it up.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 8/10/2009, 2:35 pm

I think I will have to do liquid or powder. Lucy is easy to pill but Nell can pick a tiny pill out of her bowl.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 8/10/2009, 10:17 pm

Thurston (and now Kimchi) gets NaturVet Glucosamine DS with Chondroitin Liquid For Dogs and Cats once a day with their dinner. I just add it to their mash which includes their raw food, non-fat yogurt, pumpkin, PlaqueOff, vitamins, metacam or benedryl. Dinner takes a while to prepare. But, there's never a drop left!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down