Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Putting on Weight?

+8
Miss Pit
SacramentoPugs
sallyandtilly
Rebecca and the Pugs
northernwitch
MandyPug
Renee
Saira
12 posters

Go down

Putting on Weight? Empty Putting on Weight?

Post  Saira 2/8/2011, 5:39 pm

Ok so, I'm a fanatic about making sure my pugs aren't fat, so now I have the opposite problem with Bart. He is REALLY skinny, you can feel his spine and see all his ribs. So, what's the best way to put on weight? Lots of small meals? He's kind of a picky eater too, we think he was probably fed people food.

Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Putting on Weight? Empty Re: Putting on Weight?

Post  Renee 2/8/2011, 5:44 pm

I'm sure Blanche will have some awesome ideas... but, the best way I found to put weight on (for my Ichiro who tends to lose weight easily), was to increase his consumption of raw meat. I would mix up his Honest Kitchen, and add in about 1/3 cup of raw meat, or an egg.

I also gave about 1-2 tbsp of peanut butter each day. It may not be the healthiest way to gain weight.. but, it does increase calories.

Are you putting him on kibble?
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug 2/8/2011, 6:03 pm

Great, you get the one that has the physique i need! I'll lypo out some of izzie's fat and we can transplant it on to him.

Yeah i'm the one that wants the "anorexic" looking pug lol
MandyPug
MandyPug

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 2/8/2011, 6:26 pm

I think it was Mandypug who recommended the Colostrum stuff (which I've never been able to find), but I've used baby cereal--assuming he can have grains. I'd up carbs--that will help. But more meals will also do the trick.

I'd also think about a decent supplement like Holistic Blend Seagreens Powder (my current favourite since no one here reacts to it).
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 2/8/2011, 6:29 pm

northernwitch wrote:I think it was Mandypug who recommended the Colostrum stuff (which I've never been able to find), but I've used baby cereal--assuming he can have grains. I'd up carbs--that will help. But more meals will also do the trick.

I'd also think about a decent supplement like Holistic Blend Seagreens Powder (my current favourite since no one here reacts to it).

Ahh, I'll pick up some baby cereal, that's a good idea. I'm also giving him more meals, which makes my pugs mad.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MandyPug 2/8/2011, 6:33 pm

If you want some colostrum i can pick some up and ship it out tomorrow (I'm shipping out my barter parcel for izzie's new collar so i'm going to the post office anyways). Just drop me a line on here and i can put your credit card number through by email or phone (or if you don't trust me that much we can go through paypal) depending on my stock.

Edit: I have one jar in stock if anyone wants it. I also have some really powerful probiotic powders up for grabs too, 51 billion microorganisms.

Last edited by MandyPug on 2/8/2011, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
MandyPug
MandyPug

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Post  Rebecca and the Pugs 2/8/2011, 7:07 pm

The vet had Peachy on Nutrical when she first came in. The vet tech said I could also use blackstrap molassas. I think Roxane put a recipe in one of the Pugsavers cookbooks that uses Total cereal and other things to put weight on. I will see if I can find it.
Rebecca and the Pugs
Rebecca and the Pugs

Number of posts : 2936

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 2/8/2011, 7:44 pm

I've never tried them, but goggle "satin balls". It's a high calorie recipe for dogs to gain weight.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  SacramentoPugs 2/8/2011, 7:45 pm

I went the Nutrical route with my most recent foster, Fletcher. I'd just squeeze it onto his food for the first couple weeks. He also got 3 meals a day instead of 2 while he was with me, although I advised his adopter to go back to 2.

Slow and steady wins the race with weight gain -- once you get them past that initial emaciated stage, I think larger portions, as opposed to lots of calorie-laden treats, are the way to go. Seems like a "healthier" weight gain.
SacramentoPugs
SacramentoPugs

Number of posts : 1428

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Pit 2/9/2011, 12:45 am

Prozyme works very well. We use this alot in rescue to help with gaining weight,skin, coat problems and ones that have been nutritionally deprived. it does come in a lactose free,if you're concerned about dairy allergies.

here's a link http://www.prozymeproducts.com/

Miss Pit

Number of posts : 986

Back to top Go down

Post  Amanda 2/9/2011, 1:00 am

sallyandtilly wrote:I've never tried them, but goggle "satin balls". It's a high calorie recipe for dogs to gain weight.
I remember I used those for Hoover when I couldn't get him to eat. I did Nutrical too. That was more of a last ditch effort kind of thing though because I could smear it on the roof of his mouth and kind of "force" him to eat it.

Is he super active? Lucy was really skinny and a spinning fool when we first got her and I couldn't keep weight on her for anything. I honestly just had to give it some time until she calmed down then finally started putting on some weight.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 2/9/2011, 1:08 am

send him over here. Zoe will teach him how to eat. or maybe he'll help her lose a few. winwin! cheers
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 2/9/2011, 1:39 am

When Kimchi was super skinny, I took Mandy's suggestion and added colostrum to her meals and it really helped. I only did it for a couple of months and, when I stopped using it she never lost the weight. It was fantastic!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 2/9/2011, 8:05 am

I used Nutrical for Aggy to fatten her up when I first got her. It worked great and you can find it at any pet store or vets.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down