Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kennel Cough Optional

+2
GingerSnap
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
6 posters

Go down

Kennel Cough Optional Empty Kennel Cough Optional

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 8/19/2009, 4:49 pm

I just called to get some information from the place we want to take Mac for puppy class.
He has to be UTD on his shots including rabies, but he said the kennel cough vaccine is optional.
All the other places in the area require the kennel cough vaccine.
They won't ever need to be boarded or anything like that, so puppy class would be the only reason he would get it.
Would you have the kennel cough vaccine administered if you didn't have to?
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Kennel Cough Optional Empty Re: Kennel Cough Optional

Post  GingerSnap 8/19/2009, 5:12 pm

I have given it to my guys in the past when required, but I don't unless I have to. I figure since it only covers the strains in the vaccine itself and it's not usually fatal, it's probably not worth the risk. I'm not sure about with a puppy though-- do they have a harder time fighting the infection if they do come down with it? If so, maybe it's worth it-- I just don't know the stats on that.
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 8/19/2009, 5:22 pm

To me it's pretty optional, like the flu shot. I don't give it, but I'm not saying not to either.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 8/19/2009, 5:38 pm

I get it cause I foster a lot, pull dogs from shelters and go to lots of pug events. Mine have still gotten it, but it was a very mild case.
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 8/19/2009, 6:32 pm

I always get it for Thurston. He's around all sorts of dogs on a regular basis and that's not going to go away any time soon. He's been exposed and hasn't gotten it, so I think that's a good sign. If you take your dogs to any public dog events, I think it is a good idea to get it. I doesn't prevent all strains but I would rather have Thurston be protected from some of the strains than get KC and have to be on meds and be quarantined at home for 10 days.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 8/19/2009, 10:27 pm

Nope, I never get it. And I never get it for the same reason most people do get it. My dogs are exposed to other dogs all the time and the only time I had them vaccinated for it, they got it. That was years ago and I haven't had it in the house much since. Who ever is the newest permanent dog in the house usually gets it in the first year with me and then never gets it again. My dogs have built up an immunity, I believe. I've had lots of dogs in my house with kennel cough or from shelters where it is rampant and my guys don't get it.
I don't think it's a harmful vaccine, but I don't think it's very useful so I don't give it.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down