Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Betsy's Vet Visit

+4
Pugsavers
Aussie Witch
TxAllieGrl
pugpillow
8 posters

Go down

Betsy's Vet Visit Empty Betsy's Vet Visit

Post  pugpillow 9/9/2009, 7:18 pm

Well, the old doll and I finally got into see the vet today. Just a general checkup and to ask about the lump on her rear end and the cyst inside her eyelid, and to talk about the wheezing/coughing that I thought was due to tracheal collapse. The vet says it is due to her heart. We knew when we got her from Roxane and company that she had a Grade 4 heart murmur which is why we couldn't put her under anaesthetic for a dental. She still has a Grade 4 but the vet is very concerned and says her lungs are "almost emphysemic"; there is very little air getting through and her gums are too pale. Admittedly she was stressed/excited with going in the car and having the vet poke and prod, but I have to be honest and say she is wheezing and coughing (like trying to get up a hairball) more and more often. And you know I've reported several times over the last months that she sometimes collapses, even from a sleep, and I have to open her air passage manually. I've known for quite a while that we're on borrowed time. The vet says we need to prepare ourselves. It usually takes about a year from diagnosis to the end, but the last six months are a real struggle. She says that she can probably give us 6 months but doesn't think Betsy will make it to next fall. I'd say this might be a little optimistic as she's had this condition for over two years already, but you never know - she's a tough old bird. The vet says there is a 50% chance her heart will just give out and she'll die in her sleep, and 50% chance that she'll struggle - like drowning herself. I will be watching her closely to make sure she is not suffering and struggling too much, but the decision will have to be a joint one with Bryan. He says he has already come to terms with the fact of losing her, but we'll see when the time comes.

The vet has given me a diuretic to help clear her heart and lungs, the same one as I was giving Mei-Ling for a few months. I have to call the vet back on Monday to tell her how she's doing and then she gave me two other drugs to use if necessary. Unfortunately the diuretic will cause increased drinking and urination which may require me to put her in a diaper. If the same thing happened as with Mei-Ling, it will also cause diarrhea. We'll have to see what her quality of life is with these drugs.

The good news is that the moebian cyst is not causing a problem and the lump doesn't seem to be attached.
pugpillow
pugpillow

Number of posts : 944

Back to top Go down

Betsy's Vet Visit Empty Re: Betsy's Vet Visit

Post  TxAllieGrl 9/9/2009, 7:22 pm

Sending lots of comforting thoughts for Ms. Betsy, and for you & Bryan too.

TxAllieGrl

Number of posts : 5801

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 9/9/2009, 7:51 pm

We all dread these visits with the vet, when we're hoping for optimistic news but know the truth. I hope she toughs it out for as long as possible in as good a condition as possible. I always think back to her miraculous rescue with her partner in crime and how these last years have been like a whole new lifetime tacked on to the end of another life. There will be more time and it will be precious, giving you and Bryan time to come to terms with it all. She's not going anywhere for awhile yet.Betsy's Vet Visit 335895
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsavers 9/9/2009, 8:32 pm

Betsy's Vet Visit Icon_cry Ah crap....not the news I wanted to hear for the beautiful Ms. B.

Because of collapsing airway disease I have had Bailey on Lasix, Temaril-P and aminophyllin for the past 18 months with minimal side effects (Except the peeing). It has helped his breathing quite a bit as does accupuncture.

Whatever the decision or what the future holds, Ms. Betsy has been incredibly blessed to spend her "golden" years with you and Bryan.
Pugsavers
Pugsavers

Number of posts : 1541

Back to top Go down

Post  MackandMattiesMom 9/9/2009, 8:54 pm

Definitely not the news we wanted to hear. Betsy is so lucky to have found such a wonderful, loving home to spend her final years in.
MackandMattiesMom
MackandMattiesMom

Number of posts : 2609

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 9/9/2009, 11:33 pm

We all wish that the news had been better. Whatever happens, Betsy found the perfect home and tons of love. Hugs to you and Bryan and to Betsy.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyson&LuLu'sMom 9/10/2009, 11:43 am

Thank you for taking care of Betsy during the years that she needs the most TLC.
Tyson&LuLu'sMom
Tyson&LuLu'sMom

Number of posts : 3776

Back to top Go down

Post  TNPUGMOMOF3 9/10/2009, 2:20 pm

I am so glad this little spitfire found her way into your heart and into your home. Not matter what happens we all know and she knows that she will have the best!
TNPUGMOMOF3
TNPUGMOMOF3

Number of posts : 1982

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down