Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sophie's holistic vet visit

+3
GingerSnap
Mel
Saira
7 posters

Go down

Sophie's holistic vet visit Empty Sophie's holistic vet visit

Post  Saira 10/3/2009, 10:32 pm

So we just had a visit by the holistic vet tonight. It was AMAZING! She came in and sat with the gang, and it was so interesting. We wanted to see if there was anything we could do for Sophie's mastocytosis-what was REALLY interesting was the vet telling us that Sophie's personality was textbook example of those with liver deficiencies, the territorial issues, and the barking to act tough. Blanche, I thought of Leila as soon as she said this because we always joke how they are exactly the same.

Anyways, she is a huge believer in raw and in fact feeds her mastiffs (she's involved in mastiff rescue) raw. We aren't quite ready for that though, so she said Honest Kitchen is a great food and highly recommends it. So I think we'll be starting our gang on that.

Oh and she also recommended oxy drop supplements for Sophie, to put on her bumps.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Sophie's holistic vet visit Empty Re: Sophie's holistic vet visit

Post  Mel 10/3/2009, 10:47 pm

I was wondering how it went. That sounds very enlightening! where can you get that Honest Kitchen again?
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  GingerSnap 10/3/2009, 10:48 pm

I'm glad you had a good visit. What are they oxy drops?
GingerSnap
GingerSnap

Number of posts : 3547

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/3/2009, 10:56 pm

Mel wrote:I was wondering how it went. That sounds very enlightening! where can you get that Honest Kitchen again?

Scrapps in Summerlin has it, I think there is a thread on here about a place online you can get it too.

Ginger, here is the link to the oxy drop info: http://www.bluequaker.com/nzymes-oxy-drops.htm

And another link: http://homeremedyforyeastinfectionindogears.com/homeremediesfordogwithyeastinfectioninears/?page_id=10

She said it's good for skin issues, and all the dogs can benefit from it (you can add it to the water dish), along with putting the solution on her actual lesions.
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 10/3/2009, 11:35 pm

We were doing Honest Kitchen samples at the store all day today. It's a great food choice if you don't want to go the fresh/frozen raw route. Dogs love it! I am into my raw routine and the dogs do really well on it, but Honest Kitchen is a good alternative (but you have to treat it as raw once it is dehydrated).

Did the vet mention anything about using probiotics?
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/3/2009, 11:46 pm

Not Afraid wrote:We were doing Honest Kitchen samples at the store all day today. It's a great food choice if you don't want to go the fresh/frozen raw route. Dogs love it! I am into my raw routine and the dogs do really well on it, but Honest Kitchen is a good alternative (but you have to treat it as raw once it is dehydrated).

Did the vet mention anything about using probiotics?

Yeah, what really convinced me to try Honest Kitchen was another board member switched her pugs over to it a few weeks ago and when we went over there on Friday, the change in them was amazing, they look so great and were so active-although a more active Sophie would be a force to be reckoned with! She also said they go NUTS for it.

She is bringing a couple more supplements over on Wednesday, she wanted to meet Sophie and see her fur/skin/etc first.
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 10/4/2009, 1:34 am

Well, I wish I could record the FEEL of Kimchi when she got off that plane from Korea. Her fur was coarse and sparse and she was really boney. I started her on raw right away and included a decent multi vitamin supplement, some yogurt, pumpkin and glucosamine. Not only has she filled out a bit, but her coat is soft and luxurious! I never thought it would be as soft as Thurston's, but she's almost there! (And Thurston is super soft for a pug.) It's all about diet. What goes inside shows up on the outside.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 10/4/2009, 3:49 pm

Absolutely it is all about diet. When I put Penny on grain-free, her coat became black velvet. By the way, we need some more Kimchi pics!
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/4/2009, 5:40 pm

Pugsaunt wrote:Absolutely it is all about diet. When I put Penny on grain-free, her coat became black velvet. By the way, we need some more Kimchi pics!

Mine have all been in grain free for years but I am curious about honest kitchen! I know there was a thread on here about it so I have been reading up. I will probably have questions for you Lisa once I get it-like, how much to feed, etc.

Oh I forgot, besides the holistic vet, the boys had to go into their vet earlier in the day yesterday for their shots and Hooli got a nail trim. Not fun for anyone, but they are in great health too, our vet said their weight was perfect and everything else checked out great. Drinking
Saira
Saira

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 10/4/2009, 7:24 pm

I've been doing nothing lately but learning about holistic treatments and food for pets. I'm happy to answer any questions I can. I still think I know very little, but I surprise myself every once in a while. Things ARE soaking in.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Back to top Go down

Post  dieselsmom 10/4/2009, 8:14 pm

Saira, I don't think you'll regret switching to Honest Kitchen for a second. I wish I could feed it to the kids for both breakfast and dinner. But 1) Josh is a pain and whines when he has to feed it to them (he prefers to just feed the kibble cuz it's easier for him) and 2) for right now, it's a little out of my price range to feed all three of them HK for both meals. So for now, we do HK for dinner. And I'm so happy with the results.
dieselsmom
dieselsmom

Number of posts : 2235

http://www.cloudk9.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jojopugs 10/5/2009, 11:00 am

I've heard about Honest Kitchen and am curious to hear more from you about how it works for your gang! Yeah for the vet visit!
jojopugs
jojopugs

Number of posts : 269

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down