Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Puggy First Aid Kit

+6
Saira
Mel
sallyandtilly
PugLady3
Amanda
Newsie96
10 posters

Go down

Puggy First Aid Kit Empty Puggy First Aid Kit

Post  Newsie96 10/15/2009, 9:17 am

All of these medical puggy emergencies got me to thinking having a pug first aid kit. I have peroxide, and benadyl at the ready, but what else should I have?

What's in your puggy first aid kit?
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Puggy First Aid Kit Empty Re: Puggy First Aid Kit

Post  Amanda 10/15/2009, 9:46 am

Luckily, we've only ever needed Benadryl. I do have peroxide at the ready though, not only for ingested things but it's also great at taking blood out of carpet (again, so I've heard). I also keep Pepto on hand for upset bellies. I've had to use it a couple time on Lucy (after OK'ing with the vet) and it works wonders to "tighten" things up.

I also make sure to always have corn starch in the pantry (usually do anyway) in case we have any nail cutting slip ups. Mixed with a little water, it works well to stop the bleeding. Corn starch mixed with water also makes a good "patch" when you tape your daughter's birthday banner to the brand new plantation shutters and pull off some paint when you take it down. Puggy First Aid Kit 6260
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 6990

http://www.pugauthority.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PugLady3 10/15/2009, 10:03 am

Some other things in my kit & that I remember from my pet first aid class:

Roll of gauze & some gauze pads
Vetwrap bandage
tweezers
cotton balls & q-tips
thermometer & vaseline
disposable gloves
Neosporin (or generic triple antibiotic ointment)
PugLady3
PugLady3

Number of posts : 2562

http://www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

Back to top Go down

Post  sallyandtilly 10/15/2009, 10:12 am

You can also use flour to stop bleeding of nails. That's what I used for my cockatiel when I made his nails bleed.
sallyandtilly
sallyandtilly

Number of posts : 3150

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel 10/15/2009, 11:43 am

I'm ashamed to say I don't even have a puggie first aid kit. Puggy First Aid Kit 6260 Sounds like someone needs a trip to Walgreens. That's ok, there's one right across the street from me.
Mel
Mel

Number of posts : 3270

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/15/2009, 11:51 am

We keep a list of our vet's, their numbers, and all close by emergency vets and their locations (including directions) nearby, and one in the first aid kit. I am paranoid I will freak out during an emergency so I like to have everything listed out.
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maryjo 10/15/2009, 12:34 pm

Modern-day Pepto isn't all the good or helpful for dogs (they changed the formula), so I found some Kaolin with Pectin around instead. I found it online at a horse-supply store. It is the only thing that helps Beau on his bad days.

I also keep diphenhydramine around by the 100-count. That is generic Benadryl and is about half the cost.

I also have a bottle of natural tears, in case I need to wash out an eye. I keep baby aspirin for minor aches and pains. Cotton swabs and/or q-tips plus ear wash are all very handy to keep. We have a narrow cupboard in the kitchen with nothing but dog meds in it. *LOL*

Puggy First Aid Kit 335895
Maryjo
Maryjo

Number of posts : 4954

http://www.maryjoalaska.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Milosmom 10/15/2009, 12:43 pm

All the numbers for the vet , poison control, a list of the boys birthdates and copies of their shots (in an emergency I can't swear I'd be able to adequatly think of the proper information), Benadryl (pill and liquid), pepto for urgent situations, peroxide, a bottle of saline water for flushing owies, tweezers, scissors, tiny magnifying glass, animax vet ointment , general antibiotic ointment, tri optic eye ointment,eye wash liquid, vet wrap, gauze wrap, bandages, quick stop styptic powder, small fleece blanket for ER warming, cotton balls, qtips, syringes ,pill cutter,flea comb (great for holding back fur to see an owie), ear wash, vaseline, tramadol pain meds, prednisone for Remis rare occuring majically appearing hives, hot/cold pack, popsicle sticks, bottle of antibacterial spray, super glue (in case of a nail split), bandage tape and I think that's about it.
Milosmom
Milosmom

Number of posts : 1178

Back to top Go down

Post  Pugsaunt 10/15/2009, 4:13 pm

After last night, I'm going shopping with Sarah's list today.
Pugsaunt
Pugsaunt

Number of posts : 6877

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 10/15/2009, 4:56 pm

I really need to go shopping for the rest just in case

LuLu needs sprain wraps and baby asprin constantly. Since we've gotten her she's gotten a limp leg a few times and had a big bug bite inbetween her toes that swelled and she had to stay offwalking on the bite.

thats a great idea to have a list of vets and ERs. I definitely do not know the ones for this area yet, my vet is 20 minutes away.

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 10/16/2009, 1:12 am

Milosmom wrote:All the numbers for the vet , poison control, a list of the boys birthdates and copies of their shots (in an emergency I can't swear I'd be able to adequatly think of the proper information), Benadryl (pill and liquid), pepto for urgent situations, peroxide, a bottle of saline water for flushing owies, tweezers, scissors, tiny magnifying glass, animax vet ointment , general antibiotic ointment, tri optic eye ointment,eye wash liquid, vet wrap, gauze wrap, bandages, quick stop styptic powder, small fleece blanket for ER warming, cotton balls, qtips, syringes ,pill cutter,flea comb (great for holding back fur to see an owie), ear wash, vaseline, tramadol pain meds, prednisone for Remis rare occuring majically appearing hives, hot/cold pack, popsicle sticks, bottle of antibacterial spray, super glue (in case of a nail split), bandage tape and I think that's about it.

My kits is similar without the prednisone and the addition of my Red Cross PET First Aid/CPR book, Metacam, probiotic, imodium and malaseb wipes.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down