Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hmmm female puggy to adopt !!!

+2
Aussie Witch
Stazz
6 posters

Go down

Hmmm female puggy to adopt !!! Empty Hmmm female puggy to adopt !!!

Post  Stazz 10/16/2010, 9:42 am

Well, I got a call from the vet down the road from us, the Docs who treated Yoda like a king when he was in hospital for his overdose.
They ask: How is that gorgeous junkie pug doing? hehehe..

Anyhoo....Dr.Eve (from Poland) called and said she thought of me, as they are looking for a home for a female puggy, around 4yrs old.
She said she was living in one of the palaces (Diva?!), and she now needs a home. Her health is fantastic, great health history apart from her being a couple kg's overweight...Vet says she is beautiful, very very affectionate, and not a bad bone in her body! I don't have too many details, will find out more tomorrow:

But long story short, we're seriously looking at adopting her. We love the idea, so does Yoda, but we'll do it all properly first.

We'll take Yoda to meet her, more than likely tomorrow evening. And take it from there....if all goes well.
I believe things happen for a reason....if we're meant to become her forever home, then so be it !!!!

Pleeeeeeease cross fingers :)
We already thought of a name for her...Velvet Very Happy
Stazz
Stazz

Number of posts : 348

Back to top Go down

Hmmm female puggy to adopt !!! Empty Re: Hmmm female puggy to adopt !!!

Post  Aussie Witch 10/16/2010, 1:12 pm

Stace, if you're finances comfortably stretch to provide for all eventualities, go for it!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  Renee 10/16/2010, 2:17 pm

I like the name Velvet - reminds me of a book I read long time ago, where the heroine was named Velvet.

If she is so perfect, why is she being rehomed? I would try and get more information on that one. But, how exciting to get a new puggy!
Renee
Renee

Number of posts : 5694

http://www.polarpug.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Stazz 10/17/2010, 1:13 am

Thanks a mill Rhona and Renee.

We definitely won't make any decisions until I know everything I can about her.
All I know is she needs a home, and we have one to give her. Finances are not an issue :) Even if they were, I'd beg borrow and steal heehee.

I will hear from the vet doc today about more details, and when we can meet. We'll more than likely be meeting this evening.

I know that,what happens often here in Dubai, esp with local families. They get bored of a animal quickly, and they move onto the next thing.
Its harsh & horrible, but there are good people out there still. I just think people like that should be banned for having a pet or any animal, for life.

Promise to let you know alot more once we know.

Stazz
Stazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 10/17/2010, 1:51 am

I must say Stace, a lot of what happens with pets in these countries heavily populated with ex-pats is extremely troubling to me. EXTREMELY troubling. I seem to remember that you said breeding dogs is forbidden in the UAE so I must assume all the pets for sale are shipped in as pups, probably from puppy-farms in Eastern Europe or other hell-holes. Please let me state all this isn't having a go at you, because I know you are trying to do the right thing and even though I am really against shipping Pugs in cargo, I know when you leave, you'll have no choice and I'd much rather see a Pug go home in cargo than face an unknown future in a place like Dubai. This is not a culture known to place much value on canine lives, and as you say, some of the locals tire quickly of their pets. The people who DO place value on the lives of their pets are usually the ones that will leave sooner rather than later and I know not all the ex-pats will leave with their pets...

I guess the bottom line is to think ahead on getting your pets "home" safely and the cost involved. That is probably the most important consideration.

What is the situation there with pets left behind? Does anything need to be done? Are there rescues taking care of them all? I do have a connection with Sheik Al Maktoum's wife Princess Haya, and I know she is very supportive of animal causes.

Anyway, good luck with making a decision!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindsey 10/17/2010, 2:12 am

Lots of great advice, Stace!

Good luck with your decision!
Lindsey
Lindsey

Number of posts : 2033

Back to top Go down

Post  Stazz 10/17/2010, 3:03 am

Thanks Lindsey :) We'll see how it goes, we may just end up fostering her, but I like the idea of giving her a forever home.

Thanks for your honesty Rhona!

I'm totally with you 100% !!!!!! It's a very big problem here, probably more than we can imagine....many people don't think about the consequences of buying ANY pets here. Not just doggies or cats, but tortoises, turtles, and other reptiles in general, or literally any pets. The only animal these people, as in, the locals, do take care of like they're human, is falcons. They're a kinda sacred thing, and camels. Thank heavens for them at least !!!! But the whole thing is pretty scary.

Also, many people will adopt mixed breed pups, not knowing how big they will grow, and then they don't like how they look, or how big they get....and they are often abandoned. There are actually quite a few rescues but there can never be enough I think - many are really far from where I live. There is K9 friends, Bark & Purr and Dubai Animal Rescue Centre. The 3rd centre, is actually run by a local family, in their own home !!! They keep as many animals they can take in, they have many volunteers & they rehome pets and wildlife, you name it. They do some fantastic work. I'm on their list to help foster any dogs, but they have a list of fosterers.

I know of the risks and how unhappy many people are regarding pugs travelling in cargo. (I've already been shouted at about this on PV ) But I don't know anyone personally who has enough money to charter a plane, or send their dog on a a cruise. Of course the idea of it worries me, financially we can afford the flights etc, but if I can give this puggy the best home I can possibly give her, there is nothing holding me back. I believe in plans are laid out for each and every one of us, and there is a reason this vet called me and not any of the rescues. She knows how much love I can give hehehe. I can't wait to meet this little girl. I want to be able to help, whether we end up just fostering her, or actually adopt her....that we'll have to wait and see. I love your honesty, its needed in times like these. Don't worry, I know you're giving me the best advice from all angles....thats what forums are for, and hence why I posted this before anythings been done.

Princess Haya is a fantastic woman!! How wonderful you have a connection to her. Their family have done many wonderful things for animals, but I think if they can give animals more rights on this side of the world, and more rescues and donate to the current rescues, I think it would be fantastic ! I think there is always something to be done.

Thanks again for all great advice given...we'll see how it goes.
Stazz
Stazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Stazz 10/17/2010, 3:08 am

Oh I forgot to answer you about pups sold etc etc.

We bougth Yoda form a woman who shipped him in at 7 weeks old from Russia.
He came with a Russian pet passport, with his little brother. It is illegal for dogs to be bred here, but there are people (not sure who or where and how) that do breed them illegally. All dogs are brought in from overseas, just as you say. Most are from pedigree line breeder in Europe, but some I'm certain are not. Our friends bully came from Hungary, and he is BEAUTIFULLY bred, and has champion lines going for miles. Where as Yoda came from Russia, he is all pug, but no history was known. I bought him, not knowing anything or no reasearch on puppy mills etc. he could definitely have come from one, but i just see it as meant to be. I don't want to purchase another animal in my life. After joing PV and PA, and learning so much about pug rescue, and any rescue in general. Thats what I'd love to do, our next dog and all future dogs be rescues, and I'd love to give back by helping wherever I can, whether its donations or volunteering and fostering, I'll do it.

Stazz
Stazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Stazz 10/17/2010, 8:25 am

Thank you everyone !!!

Thats the thing, I'm not worried about this little girls history.....all I'm thinking about is her future....I know its going to be with us.
The more I speak to the vet, the more I get so freakin excited.

Puggy, not sure of her name, is at the vets friends house. This friend has 3 pugs (2 male, 1 female) and 3 other dogs too, and this friend says puggy is such a beautiful soul, very very loving, loves to play, no behavioral or aggression issues, she's just a sweetie. Must be a diva though, must be. By the sounds of things, she is an apricot fawn

Vet will deworm her tonight, and end of the month we'll update all her vaccs etc and get her little passport started. Vet isn't sure if she's been spayed or not, so we may have to do that too. But it don't bother me!

We'll be meeting her late tonight (vet is desperate to get her to us as her friend has 6 dogs and can't keep her) on the field close to our apartment, have a play session, and if that goes well (which I know it will!!!) then Puggy may come home with us as soon as tonight. We have two beds, but will buy her her own if needed. A new pet store, Pet Corner opened up in MY BUILDING! How dangerous is THAT?
Stazz
Stazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 10/17/2010, 1:26 pm

Stace, trust me, ALL the dogs the come into the UAE will come from puppy mills in Eastern Europe or Asia, no matter how impressive their pedigrees. It is not impossible for a puppy mill to buy a dog from a legitimate and ethical breeder by lying through their teeth about what they are going to use the puppy for. There is no ethical breeder of show stock that would ever, in a million years, sell a pup (they'd never sell a pup under 8 weeks to ANYONE!) to the pet trade for shipping internationally. It would never happen. It's the sad reality about the origins of virtually every pet sold in places like the UAE. The great thing about forums populated by people involved in rescue is that people become educated in these things. I know many of our members here who are dedicated to rescue and work tirelessly to save abandoned and sick Pugs, got their first Pug from a pet store or in some way their Pugs originally came from a puppymill. At the time, they were unaware of the horrors of puppymills but now fight hard to educate people and save Pugs. That's the great thing about a forum like PA that has a strong and dedicated core of rescue-involved people!
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Back to top Go down

Post  Stazz 10/17/2010, 1:37 pm

Soooooooooooo true, every word of it Rona !!!!

If it weren't for the forums I am on, I would never ever have learned so much about pugs in general, and especially the importance of rescue & learning the worst about puppy mills. Since being on the forums, Ive discouraged people from buying a pup, but rather rescue. Nicks family dogs are all rescues, a GS, a satffie & a dauschund. I also want to say i have many rescues, one day !!! Gonna stick to two pugs hehe. I feel good that Im able to help out this little girl coming to us in just an hour or so!

News to follow :)
Stazz
Stazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 10/17/2010, 2:03 pm

Stazz wrote:Soooooooooooo true, every word of it Rona !!!!

If it weren't for the forums I am on, I would never ever have learned so much about pugs in general, and especially the importance of rescue & learning the worst about puppy mills. Since being on the forums, Ive discouraged people from buying a pup, but rather rescue. Nicks family dogs are all rescues, a GS, a satffie & a dauschund. I also want to say i have many rescues, one day !!! Gonna stick to two pugs hehe. I feel good that Im able to help out this little girl coming to us in just an hour or so!

News to follow :)

You are doing a good thing, I hope you get her!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  juneau hunter 10/18/2010, 1:50 pm

Oh wow, I'm so caught up in my own world of pugs that I didn't catch this until today!

Stace, I am very excited for you! I am coming from the exact same place as you. I paid $550 for Juneau from a couple...who I know now is a BYB...but at the time I knew nothing about pugs, training, rescue, pet stores, puppy mills, etc. Joining PA has been a huge blessing for me, as I learn about this beautiful breed and want desperately to help other pugs find the perfect home. I too will NEVER purchase a puppy again.

Can't wait to find out what happens next at your house! Yoda is getting a sister!!! I hope she is bad as Sophie! LOL
juneau hunter
juneau hunter

Number of posts : 2896

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down