Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spanky bad news

+12
Sara
smoochieface
papaspugs
lola's mom
BDazzpugs
Not Afraid
Aussie Witch
akc0104
Puglove2
northernwitch
Saira
DeeAnn
16 posters

Go down

Spanky bad news Empty Spanky bad news

Post  DeeAnn 5/4/2009, 6:19 pm

Spanky has cancer...The lump I showed this morning she did a needle bio and the cells look very strange.He has also 3 other wart looking spots she tested and he has mass cell tumors...I am so upset I can hardly type.She is also pretty sure the lump we went in for is also cancer.He has to have surgery.to remove the tumor on his leg and have it tested and the 3 mass cell tumors taken off...My baby has cancer I am so upset I cant stop crying my spanky..Hubby doesnt know yet but Spanky will have surg on thursday.I dont this the price is to bad it will be about $500 DH will have a fit.But what can I do he has to.I will go hooking if I have to...SOrry I have to go before I have a heart attack..Please say mega prayers for my little bt man.I love him soooooooo much
DeeAnn
DeeAnn

Number of posts : 991

Back to top Go down

Spanky bad news Empty Re: Spanky bad news

Post  Saira 5/4/2009, 6:24 pm

I am sorry! I know it is scary. Crying or Very sad However, I know many many pugs who have had mast cells (including reoccuring ones), and they have done very well once the tumors are removed. I am hoping for a low grade with clean margins. He'll be in my thoughts for Thursday!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  northernwitch 5/4/2009, 6:33 pm

Honestly, as scary as the word cancer is, Mast cell tumours can be highly treatable. You want to ask the surgeon what grade/stage they are (You want grade/stage 1) and clean margins.
I see so much MCT that I don't even react much to it. Many of us have pugs that have had MCT surgeries many times and the dogs are alive and well and as sassy as ever.
northernwitch
northernwitch

Number of posts : 11031

http://www.pugalug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DeeAnn 5/4/2009, 6:38 pm

I know the mass cell ones can be bad.but the tumor I was hoping to be a fatty one isnt that is the one that really bothers me the most. and what kind of cancer is that one.Spanky (bt) he is 9 yrs old.....I am in such shock now I am sick to my stomach
DeeAnn
DeeAnn

Back to top Go down

Post  Saira 5/4/2009, 6:45 pm

DeeAnn wrote:I know the mass cell ones can be bad.but the tumor I was hoping to be a fatty one isnt that is the one that really bothers me the most. and what kind of cancer is that one.Spanky (bt) he is 9 yrs old.....I am in such shock now I am sick to my stomach

I am not an expert, but like I said, we have had lots of pugs come into rescue that have had mast cells. What you are looking for are a low grade (they are graded 1, 2, 3,etc), with clean margins-the lower the grade, the better it is. A friend of mine has had numerous tumors removed from her pug-obviously, it's not great, but it's not a death sentence either. Since I'm not on PV, I can't search-but I am postive if you do a search there, you will find lots of information. It's good you caught it and he's getting them removed!
Saira
Saira

Number of posts : 8302

http://www.rescuepugs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DeeAnn 5/4/2009, 7:06 pm

Saira wrote:
DeeAnn wrote:I know the mass cell ones can be bad.but the tumor I was hoping to be a fatty one isnt that is the one that really bothers me the most. and what kind of cancer is that one.Spanky (bt) he is 9 yrs old.....I am in such shock now I am sick to my stomach

I am not an expert, but like I said, we have had lots of pugs come into rescue that have had mast cells. What you are looking for are a low grade (they are graded 1, 2, 3,etc), with clean margins-the lower the grade, the better it is. A friend of mine has had numerous tumors removed from her pug-obviously, it's not great, but it's not a death sentence either. Since I'm not on PV, I can't search-but I am postive if you do a search there, you will find lots of information. It's good you caught it and he's getting them removed!
THank you....I am going to go research this...dang just the word cancer scared the poop out of me...Oh by no means am I counting Spanky out he is one tough little guy..He was given a death sentance when he was a puppy and was supose to only live a couple of years and now he is 9...He has a liver problem but he beat the odds and he will now also he knows his mommy loves him to much to leave me..
DeeAnn
DeeAnn

Back to top Go down

Post  Puglove2 5/4/2009, 7:08 pm

i'm so sorry. i'll be thinking of you and spanky.
Puglove2
Puglove2

Number of posts : 1943

Back to top Go down

Post  akc0104 5/4/2009, 7:42 pm

You just need to have patience until the firm diagnosis comes back. Nothing you do today can change anything. I'd recommend that you be thinking in the back of your mind how far you can and are willing to take treatment should you need to.

((hugs))
akc0104
akc0104

Number of posts : 1742

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Witch 5/4/2009, 8:12 pm

DeeAnn, take a deeeeeeeeeeeeeeep breath and calm down.

I have been along the MCT route with my Pugs MANY times. You are far from the stage of sheer terror and panic. The OVERWHELMING majority of MCTs are safely removed and diagnosed to be early stage with clean margins. Even if you get a higher grade with dirty margins it is not doom and gloom. My LouLou had a difficult one removed at age THIRTEEN - it had dirty margins, grade 2 - 3 and she had to have follow-up chemotherapy. She lived another FOUR YEARS to age SEVENTEEN!

I know as soon as you hear the "C" word it sends you into a tailspin of panic. Take it from those that have been there and realise in all probability it will be OKAY.
Aussie Witch
Aussie Witch

Number of posts : 8556

Back to top Go down

Post  DeeAnn 5/4/2009, 8:19 pm

Aussie Witch wrote:DeeAnn, take a deeeeeeeeeeeeeeep breath and calm down.

I have been along the MCT route with my Pugs MANY times. You are far from the stage of sheer terror and panic. The OVERWHELMING majority of MCTs are safely removed and diagnosed to be early stage with clean margins. Even if you get a higher grade with dirty margins it is not doom and gloom. My LouLou had a difficult one removed at age THIRTEEN - it had dirty margins, grade 2 - 3 and she had to have follow-up chemotherapy. She lived another FOUR YEARS to age SEVENTEEN!

I know as soon as you hear the "C" word it sends you into a tailspin of panic. Take it from those that have been there and realise in all probability it will be OKAY.

You are so right Rona once she said the C word I just broke down and cried......I am just thinking postive and when the resluts come back then go from there...Thanks for the kick me in the butt I needed that go get myself together
DeeAnn
DeeAnn

Back to top Go down

Post  Not Afraid 5/4/2009, 8:30 pm

Cancer is a scary word, there's no doubt about that. But you got Spanky examined and he will have sucessful surgery and follow up treatment if necessary and all should be fine. There are many types of cancer and I think Mast Cells in dogs are among the easiest to treat.
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  BDazzpugs 5/4/2009, 8:34 pm

Sending you and Spanky lots of prayers.
BDazzpugs
BDazzpugs

Number of posts : 1286

Back to top Go down

Post  lola's mom 5/4/2009, 8:41 pm

Aw DeeAnn I am so sorry about Spanky. Try to think positive until you get the tests back.
It's scary to hear MCT no doubt.
Sending you lots of prayers for clean margins.
lola's mom
lola's mom

Number of posts : 785

Back to top Go down

Post  papaspugs 5/4/2009, 9:34 pm

Try to stay positive too. Our pets can pick up on negative vibes. The bumps can't have been there for long so you have probably done well to give him in so early. Just give him big hugs!
papaspugs
papaspugs

Number of posts : 2297

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 5/5/2009, 1:46 am

You've gotten some wonderful advice and I can't add to that. Keeping you and Spanky in my thoughts.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara 5/5/2009, 11:07 am

Thinking of you and Spanky, so sorry DeeAnn.
Sara
Sara

Number of posts : 4083

Back to top Go down

Post  Newsie96 5/5/2009, 11:09 am

You and Spanky are in my prayers. Please listen to the great advice you got here and keep us posted.
Newsie96
Newsie96

Number of posts : 996

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber 5/5/2009, 12:57 pm

I will keep you and Spanky in my thoughts and prayers.
Amber
Amber

Number of posts : 2080

http://www.lotusblossomphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post  The Jedi Master 5/5/2009, 1:59 pm

Hugs to you and Spanky. I hope the surgery goes well and he is fine for many many years to come.
The Jedi Master
The Jedi Master

Number of posts : 48

Back to top Go down

Post  LisaIzzyAggy 5/5/2009, 4:52 pm

I'm so sorry DeeAnn. I'm praying that the surgery goes great and that Spanky has many more happy, healthy years to come.
LisaIzzyAggy
LisaIzzyAggy

Number of posts : 3001

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down