Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Pug Authority Forum
Welcome to the Pug Authority forum!

This is a fun, supportive community of pug owners who are dedicated to sharing our experiences regarding responsible pug ownership and learning from others.

You are currently viewing the forum as guest which does not give you the same access as members. Please click the Register button below to join our community! If you are already a member, please log-in!
Pug Authority Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liver problems

3 posters

Go down

Liver problems Empty Liver problems

Post  Katie & Stella 5/6/2009, 6:51 pm

My heart dog, who my family has had since I was 17, is having health
problems. His liver enzymes were high when he went in for his dental. The vet put him on a course of antibiotics and told us to
come back in 2 weeks. It's 2 weeks later and his enzyme levels are
still high so he's referred him to an internal medicine doctor. I hope
he can help.

He's been on Rimadyl for spinal arthritis for almost 2 years and I'm
wondering if this has had negative effects on his liver? I've read
online that dogs are supposed to get blood tests more frequently if
they are on Rimadyl but his vet never mentioned this?? His vet also
hasn't taken him off of the Rimadyl since this started 2 weeks ago.

Has anyone used Marin tablets to help the liver? Did it help?

I love this little guy.
Katie & Stella
Katie & Stella

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

Liver problems Empty Re: Liver problems

Post  Not Afraid 5/6/2009, 6:56 pm

I know from some of my clients who have dogs on Rimadyl that the medication can send liver enzymes skyrocketing. I can't believe that your vet hasn't mentioned this!
Not Afraid
Not Afraid

Number of posts : 5095

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 5/7/2009, 1:48 am

If it is the Rimadyl, if they take him off the med, his liver enzymes will go back to normal pretty quickly in most cases. But, yes, long term use of Rimadyl has been associated with liver damage in some dogs. I would really consider taking the dog off Rimadyl and then doing repeat testing liver function tests two weeks later to see if going off the drug has had a positive effect.
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Katie & Stella 5/7/2009, 10:45 am

Thanks ladies. I'm pissed that the vet didn't take him off the Rimadyl. It took a "human doctor" to tell my mom to take him off of it. He's going to an internal med doc soon. I'm going to see if we can switch him to Stella's vet who is awesome. Kendie, thanks, it's good to know his liver might go back to normal once he's off of it. I just love the little furball so much.
Katie & Stella
Katie & Stella

Number of posts : 1248

Back to top Go down

Post  smoochieface 5/7/2009, 3:44 pm

Katie & Stella wrote:Kendie, thanks, it's good to know his liver might go back to normal once he's off of it. I just love the little furball so much.

That's what happens in humans so I'm assuming the same happens with dogs. Assuming no organ damage has occured, elevated liver enzymes due to an adverse drug reaction will normalize once the drug is out of the system. Good luck!
smoochieface
smoochieface

Number of posts : 5123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down